Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  EIT_Sub -- reliable EIT collection

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
scumball
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Feb 2009 Posts: 39 Location: United Kingdom
Would I benefit in anyway from this TAP with my current setup as seen in my signature?

I am seeing quite high memory useage now I am using EPG2MEI and RT2MEI...

TAPs: mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; TF5000 Display v1.53; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; TAP Commander 1.34; UK Subtitle 1.9; MyInfo B5.5; (EIT Sub v0.6 SnG);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 20/12/11
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
scumball wrote:
Would I benefit in anyway from this TAP with my current setup as seen in my signature?
If you want quicker and more robust EIT data collection, yes.
Quote:
I am seeing quite high memory useage now I am using EPG2MEI and RT2MEI...
Try trimming your RT data down to just the channels you watch, and maybe drop the data for the +1 versions of channels. Then either delete the channels you don't watch from the Toppy, or exclude them in the EPG2MEI.ini (if you don't often listen to the radio then that's a very large chunk of data that can be dropped).

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
R2-D2 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I can get the toppy to populate its epg only by selecting one of these channels. If I open the epg and sit on BBC1, they never populate.
What sort of "never" is that? Is this a one-off or reliable?
Reliable. I sat there looking at the native epg for about 5 minutes sitting on BBC1 and ITV was completely blank for the 3 hour window on display. I did this a few times and on the last attempt I actually moved the focus to ITV at which point the toppy epg populated the missing data for ITV. Once populated in the toppy epg it remained that way, but MyStuff never picked this up.

R2-D2 wrote:
With the Game version, try popping into the Game menu then exiting it -- that should reset the EIT filters.
OK I'll try next time if happens again - see comment below.

R2-D2 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
The Toppy Archive says I can't move the TAP either. Is this because it's in use?
Nope -- the TAP file is only locked while it's initially being read and loaded.
In the end I renamed the extension to .nap with an FTP session.

Today, without this TAP running I have a fully populated toppy & Mystuff epg. I'll re-instate eit_sub_game and see if the problem returns. If it does I'll try entering the game menu again and see if that re-sets the filters

Cheers.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
kermit
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
R2-D2 wrote:
EIT_Sub replaces the rats' nest of the native EIT collection system with a much simpler, faster and more reliable one. Bung it in "Auto Start" and forget about it.

Can I assume this will work on the OZ 5000/BP/MP toppies?

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
Versatile
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Jul 2005 Posts: 101 Location: Wokingham; Transmitters - Hannington + C. Palace
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I can get the toppy to populate its epg only by selecting one of these channels. If I open the epg and sit on BBC1, they never populate.
What sort of "never" is that? Is this a one-off or reliable?
Reliable. I sat there looking at the native epg for about 5 minutes sitting on BBC1 and ITV was completely blank for the 3 hour window on display. I did this a few times and on the last attempt I actually moved the focus to ITV at which point the toppy epg populated the missing data for ITV. Once populated in the toppy epg it remained that way, but MyStuff never picked this up.

I also have this most of the time and perhaps MyStuff is just reflecting the effect of native EPG population shortcomings. When Topfield stopped the channel preview window from changing as you stepped channels there always seemed to be a reluctance to fill (or at least display) the native EPG properly. Perhaps there were prioritisation conflicts with processing the multi-channel data?

Till last month I used to run a very vanilla setup (never used MyStuff pre V6) using fairly old post-Bastille firmware and just EPGNav. One effect of EPGNav was to mask the native population problem because it cached EPG to disk. However going into native EPG would still reveal initially blank channels as Hyde saw. I find now things are much worse since MyStuff doesn't cache EPG to disk (?) and therefore can't fill any holes with previously harvested data.

I had put the EPG populating shortcomings down to the fact that I've always used two transmitters (Hannington and Crystal Palace); I'm in an area where some Hannington channels are weaker than CP equivalents. I presume Hyde just uses Hannington?

By the way I have tried running with and without secCache and EITSub but this makes no difference. Not sure whether I've muddied waters or not Question

juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10371 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Versatile wrote:
I find now things are much worse since MyStuff doesn't cache EPG to disk (?)
Not sure where you get that idea. That's exactly what EPG2MEI (or eit2mei) does. MyStuff uses the EPG data that EPG2MEI collects and saves.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Versatile
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Jul 2005 Posts: 101 Location: Wokingham; Transmitters - Hannington + C. Palace
@juwlz - Sorry, I wasn't very precise, I was using the term MyStuff in reference to the "suite" including the EPG gatherer.

I didn't realise that EPG2MEI loads up a complete disk cached copy of EPG on booting (presumably last copy saved before power off) Confused If so, in the case that Hyde and I are describing, I wonder how we manage to boot up and find many mainstream channels totally unpopulated in both native and EPG2MEI derived versions? On the occasions that this happens this is well after MyStuff's load and search cycles have finished.

Taking an example where, on boot up, the native EPG does not populate some channels, will EPG2MEI then delete the programme info for those channels from it's file presented to MyStuff?

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
kermit wrote:
Can I assume this will work on the OZ 5000/BP/MP toppies?
If your broadcasters transmit the EPG for all muxes simultaneously on every mux then it'll probably help avoid the worst of the "features" of the native system. If you just get the EPG data for the mux you're viewing then it may not help much.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
Versatile wrote:
I wonder how we manage to boot up and find many mainstream channels totally unpopulated in both native and EPG2MEI derived versions?
You could try using eit2mei and see how that fares instead -- there's one report (from harrismail) of [seemingly] odd broadcast data causing issues. And if that's the case then there's an outside chance that v0.95 of EPG2MEI might be better.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
@R2-D2 - Will try eit2mei & EPG2MEI v0.95 (but it will take a day or two to set up) and update when I have some results.

Just for info, this morning Toppy was booted up about 2 1/2 hours ago; it came up on last channel used yesterday - ITV1 (Crystal Palace ch22). At the moment it is showing EPG for all muxes (whether Hannington or CP) except totally blank (No Information) BBC1, BBC2 and all other channels from Hannington ch50. I know from experience if I switch to Toppy native EPG I will find no info for BBC1 & BBC2 but switching to them will start to populate native EPG and thence show in MyStuff (via EPG2MEI).

kermit
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
R2-D2 wrote:
If you just get the EPG data for the mux you're viewing then it may not help much.
Unfortunately this is how the Free to Air (FTA) tv stations in OZ broadcast their EPG.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Versatile wrote:
At the moment it is showing EPG for all muxes (whether Hannington or CP) except totally blank (No Information) BBC1, BBC2 and all other channels from Hannington ch50.
There's an issue in v0.94 that will dump the old data (from a previous scan) if the internal EPG data you now have misses the first channel -- but that's such a strange thing to happen in the UK that it was only picked up by a tester in Australia.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Interesting, I note that Hyde is also using EPG2MEI v0.94

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
With the Game version, try popping into the Game menu then exiting it -- that should reset the EIT filters.
OK I'll try next time if happens again - see comment below.

HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Today, without this TAP running I have a fully populated toppy & Mystuff epg. I'll re-instate eit_sub_game and see if the problem returns. If it does I'll try entering the game menu again and see if that re-sets the filters
Got it again today, same channels same effect, the Toppy EPG remains blank for these channels whilst I sit focused on BBC1. I haven't yet moved the focus to ITV1 to see if that forces the Toppy epg to load the data. Entering the Game menu (and indeed playing Bomb Hexa [only 21000 points this time Sad ]) had no effect on resetting the filters. Anything you'd like me to try whilst it's in this state?

[edit]Just loaded a new beta of MyStuff from BobD, shut toppy down and restarted it and still the 'No Information' issue persists

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
the Toppy EPG remains blank for these channels whilst I sit focused on BBC1. I haven't yet moved the focus to ITV1 to see if that forces the Toppy epg to load the data.
"Moved the focus"? I thought you'd been changing channels -- it'd be really quite odd indeed if you were just selecting ITV1 in the native EPG (with no real channel change) and it suddenly started populating. Confused