Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  EIT_Sub -- reliable EIT collection

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
EIT_Sub replaces the rats' nest of the native EIT collection system with a much simpler, faster and more reliable one. Bung it in "Auto Start" and forget about it. If you want to go back to the old (mess) then TAPCommander can stop it.

EPG gathering TAPs should notice that it's quicker for the EIT data to settle. (Note that [Ez] will eliminate a lot of pointless EIT data changes, and [Ee] will introduce a lot of important ones.)

This should also make Freeview+ firmwares (5.14.X and 5.15.X) more reliable in starting/stopping recordings, since it eliminates the possibility of mis-matching collectors.

The other benefit is that the internal EIT messages are now unified and clearly identifiable. This means that [Pe] V5 can do a much better job at culling these unimportant messages when the system is stressed.

Technical: all EIT collection is now forced onto PathA (which is active from startup), no filtering is done below the section level, and the system is setup just once (no timing out or resetting).

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that it includes a delay of 30s between disabling the old EIT collection and starting the new one -- this should make the Toppy a lot less stressed during startup.

Oh, and I lied and I originally posted the debug version that doesn't work with TAPCommander and exits on the '0' button. Smile EIT_Sub is now updated to described version... And by way of a bonus, EIT_Sub_SnG is a Set 'n' Go version -- it exits after it's done its job so there's no going back (but it [eventually] frees up a TAP slot).

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2005 Posts: 814
Hi R2

Is this by any way linked to EPG2MEI which you are developing?

Can I just run this from my Startup folder and not worry about any other taps like eit2mei etc?

Should this be placed near the top of the TAP load order or can it go anywhere?

Thanks

Andy

Firmware: 5.14.09 Patched
AutoStart Taps: MyStuff v5.52b, eit2mei beta 7.8m7, , Power Manager v1.2, Tap Commander v1.32, TF5000 Display v1.53a, Discription Extender v2.3, SDS 1.3b, QuickJump 1.72
Other Taps: Sudoka, mei2archive, mei2eit, snake, meisearch
Livy
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
is there any other taps or patches we have to remove with this?

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
andyrogers wrote:
Is this by any way linked to EPG2MEI which you are developing?
It will help EPG2MEI as much as it helps eit2mei. I've actually been sat on it for ages, since the early days of AccurateBM, but recent investigations in the EPG2MEI development have shown that (as a bonus) it will help with 5.14.X/5.15.X issues, too.
Quote:
Can I just run this from my Startup folder and not worry about any other taps like eit2mei etc?
As in the first post, just bung it in Auto Start and forget about. eit2mei will hopefully notice the faster and more complete and even collection.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Livy wrote:
is there any other taps or patches we have to remove with this?
Nope.

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 1821 Location: E Yorkshire Belmont Transmitter
Installed at 19:30 and working fine.

ccsx
jumbo
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
Are there any benefits to mei2eit users?
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
Rolling Eyes Just how many times do you want me to answer that question? No, if you're not using the native EIT then a change to the way it is (not) collected will make no difference.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 394
R2-D2 wrote:
Technical: all EIT collection is now forced onto PathA...

Does this interfere with the purpose of the [He] patch which "fixes the routines that collect EIT event data for each recording slot so that they continue to work when dual recording"?

i.e. Does EIT_sub prevent EIT collection from two different recordings (=paths?) which is, as I understand it, useful for Ab and Extend?

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It takes great care to not interfere with the mechanism that [Ab] uses and [He] fixes (and I'd consider it a waste of time and effort if it did!).

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
R2-D2 wrote:
jumbo wrote:
Rolling Eyes Just how many times do you want me to answer that question? No, if you're not using the native EIT then a change to the way it is (not) collected will make no difference.

In the absence of my (and numerous other Toppy users') knowledge about the inner workings of the Toppy EIT collecion mechanisms and your (often) complex explanations, perhaps I ought to qualify my EIT related questions everytime so that you can justify reiterating the answer everytime Wink

You seem to imply that when not using the OTA broadcast Freeview EPG the Toppy's EIT collection (via TAPs such as mei2eit or EPG Uploader) is optimal and consequently your EIT related patches and TAPs do/can not change that. Period.
Is this correct? Or is it the case that you have not, thusfar, addressed that aspect of the EIT collection mechanism? This remains rather poor as extended information takes a long time to find its way to the native programme guide or TAPs such as EPG Navigator - hence my quest for improvements. Of course I have assumed that TAPs like mei2eit and EPG Uploader are themselves optimal and can not be squeezed further for performance; Is this correct?

Last edited by jumbo on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
extended information takes a long time to find its way to the native programme guide or TAPs such as EPG Navigator - hence my quest for improvements.
(That's a more useful statement!) I can't see any reason why that would be beyond the slowness of the TAP inserting the data or the one extracting it. I think that may be intentional (and something that may be configurable in those TAPs?) in order to reduce the load on the Toppy.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5889 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Taken from this thread http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198327#198327

R2-D2 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
So what's the story here?
Not sure why this is the appropriate thread, but I think this has been mentioned several times in the appropriate thread. Smile The native EIT collection is stopped (in part, at least) when you do various things that seem unrelated, like entering the main menu. I suppose there could be a version of EIT_Sub that copies that broken behaviour, or refines it to just take notice of things that might actually care (like the channel search and games).
I like the channel search and games approach. Is that something you'd be prepared to do for us please?

I use Bomb Hexa for relaxing and filling in those oft times waiting for the girls to get their act together before going out somewhere Wink Rolling Eyes

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Have try with EIT_Sub (Game) which ought to disable all EIT collection once you get into those bits of the menu -- remember there's a delay of 30s after booting before it starts anyway.