Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  FFWD -- super fast forward and rewind

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
FFWD is a prototype super fast forward and rewind: starting off at 32x!

At present it is tuned to work on recordings from "normal" channels (mike.hinson knows what that means!), and it may be a bit rubbish on other recordings. Anyway, run the TAP and it'll take over the Left and Right arrows button during playback (if it's before anything else in the TAP load order that uses those keys, like MyStuff) -- at present, the [Re] patch is kind of assumed but this is one of those rough edges that will be fixed if the concept proves worth pursuing.

Press Right during playback and it'll whizz to 32x. Press it again and you'll get 64x. And again for 128x. And so on. Laughing (Prize to the person who finds 1024x useful.) Anyway, press Left and the (forward) speed will reduce by half until you're back at playing.

Press Left during playback and it'll do the same in rewind.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
jeeeeeeeeeez Shocked , how can you tell if you've got one of those faulty archive recordings that play out from start to end in a couple of seconds or that you've just pressed the right button Smile Razz

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
simonc
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
Is this using some funky EMMA2 hack or are you doing a play-skip-play thing as requested by a1b1 some time ago?
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
simonc wrote:
Is this using some funky EMMA2 hack
I'd love to say that somebody forwarded me a link to an EMMA2 manual they found on a bus, but alas no.
Quote:
or are you doing a play-skip-play thing as requested by a1b1 some time ago?
Yeah, that sort of thing. Got inspired when doing BMSkipper to do it a way that reduced the overhead a lot. Still needs some tweaking for general recordings, I think (and I suspect a bit more firmware hacking might help there, too).

My favourite feature that I completely forgot to mention is that if you press Play you go back to playback and the really significant thing is that it ought to start from the point you saw on screen when you pressed Play!

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 673 Location: UK
Outstanding!

I've found that I've had to put it 2nd in the load order, straight after Tap Commander. Tried it just before MyStuff but MS still took the left and right arrows for Now and Next.

Thanks R2 - you're a star! Very Happy

MG

simonc
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5617 Location: Cheltenham
R2-D2 wrote:
My favourite feature that I completely forgot to mention is that if you press Play you go back to playback and the really significant thing is that it ought to start from the point you saw on screen when you pressed Play!
Mike's going to like that Wink
mossman
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
MarkG wrote:
Outstanding!

I've found that I've had to put it 2nd in the load order, straight after Tap Commander. Tried it just before MyStuff but MS still took the left and right arrows for Now and Next.
Yes, I had to do that as well.

mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Everyone here is impressed.
They like the way it plays a couple of frames which gives a bit of direction to the movement.

x1024 could be handy if the Merge-All-your-recordings TAP is released.
It is cool to see it chomping through with the play bar on screen too.
The way it stops on the screen you just thought of is spooky magic.

Pressing ok brings up archive but crashes FFWD on escape
/\/\
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
No, not crash. It's a prototype and I left in the quit on Exit bit... (BTW, if you got a PM email then it was me sending you a very early prototype, but I got carried away and made it a bit more usable so I revoked the PM.)

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
No, not crash. It's a prototype and I left in the quit on Exit bit... (BTW, if you got a PM email then it was me sending you a very early prototype, but I got carried away and made it a bit more usable so I revoked the PM.)
you are 2 steps ahead... I must admit I did use it to exit the TAP once I found it Smile

I thought I saw the PM in my inbox then it vanished... I assumed it was the medication.

/\/\
Andy K
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3499 Location: Owner of 3 Topfields
I wish you would PM me some TAPs LOL !

You wouldn't like writting them though !
MarkG
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 673 Location: UK
R2-D2 wrote:
mike.hinson wrote:
I noticed that FFWD disappeared from my Tap Commander list but I can't remember pressing OK. Is there another Quit key that I might have pressed by mistake?

MG

mike.hinson
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MarkG wrote:
...I can't remember pressing OK...
I think it is Exit

/\/\
jumbo
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
R2-D2 wrote:
simonc wrote:
Is this using some funky EMMA2 hack
I'd love to say that somebody forwarded me a link to an EMMA2 manual they found on a bus, but alas no.
Shhhhhh Cool
mossman
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
MarkG wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:
mike.hinson wrote:
I noticed that FFWD disappeared from my Tap Commander list but I can't remember pressing OK. Is there another Quit key that I might have pressed by mistake?

MG
That happened to me on three occasions - functionality was lost as well, so I presume that it had crashed on each occasion (it was back after a reboot).