Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Not waking up from standby for recording

Page 1 of 20
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
giacecco
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Is that only me, or my 5800 simply does not wake up from the standby state to record what it is supposed to?

I have the latest firmware. Time and date are set to auto, because last time I tried to move to manual I got more trouble than advantages.

I thank you in advance for any feedback,

Giacecco
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
It can get in to a funny state where it doesn?t wake up. A good sign is the time appearing on the front panel when the Toppy is running (not in standby). Try giving it a good cold boot - pull the mains plug out of the wall, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in, and then press standby ? that usually sorts things out.

Having said that, you mention moving over to manual time ? that implies you?ve had trouble with your timers in the past. Obviously, if the timers have been deleted, or moved forwards then the Toppy is not going to come out of standby.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Darkmatter wrote:
It can get in to a funny state where it doesn?t wake up. A good sign is the time appearing on the front panel when the Toppy is running (not in standby). Try giving it a good cold boot - pull the mains plug out of the wall, wait 60 seconds, plug it back in, and then press standby ? that usually sorts things out....

Wow that's strange...

I was just about to post that I was missing recordings set to start whilst in standby.

I had noticed that over the last day or so that the Toppy didn't show the "C.45" and "run" status when bringing it out of standy. I hadn't noticed the time v's program number issue.

Another sign I had that things weren't right was when switching to standby. I got four flashing dots before the time was re-displayed.

A cold re-cycle has resolved the problem as far as proper boot sequences are concerned. I'll check actual recordings later today.

For anyone else contemplating a cold boot for whatever reason, it didn't effect any recordings in the archive, or repeat timers, or favourite lists, or current time.

Is this in the bugs list? I don't remember reading about this anywhere else on this forum.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote
It does effect the current time. The clock gets reset (IIRC is goes back to 1/1/03). Assuming your Toppy has its clock set to auto, briefly bringing the unit out of Standby will grab the current network time once its up and running.

A word of caution: Please check that your Toppy has actually acquired the network time before leaving it to record.

I?ve done that trick in the past ? spotted the clock during normal operation ? given it a cold boot - gone away for the weekend happy in the knowledge that I?ve made a last minute save ? only to find there?s nothing recorded. I think I chose a channel with no engineering data. Crying or Very sad
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5953 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I think you're correct on the time. On re-boot I think the segment display did show something like "0:00", for a second or two.

I do have the unit set to Auto, so I guess by the time it had finished booting and I'd hit the Menu key, it had grabbed the current time off the network.

I've just checked the time setup in the Menu again and it looks fine, correct GMT, correct offset, correct date.

The repeat timers all still listed, well we only have one of those actually, so not hard to establish.

I've setup a test recording to take place at 11:00 this morning. We'll see if that works okay.

Generally, the unit is left tunned to one of the four main channels (BBC1/2 or ITV/C4), so I guess it's getting a good time stamp from there.

(edit)
Is there a bug listing for the Toppy not going into/out of standby correctly?

Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
I think my Toppy was tuned to ITV1 at the time, and of course that?s not reliable with all the engineering work that?s going on at the moment. To be honest, I can?t really remember. I haven?t fiddled with anything since, and it?s been fine. I remember briefly taking the unit out of standby after the hard reset, but I did it all with the TV off ? a lessoned learned.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote
Test recording from standby has worked fine. Cool

giacecco
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm that after a cold boot the problem went away.

I also noticed that my situation was identical to the one described by Darkmatter: before the cold boot I had no "C456" and "run" when turning on, and the flashing dots after turning off.

Is this bug documented? Thank everybody for your help,

Giacecco
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Oddly it wasn?t ? now it?s bug number 56
andyfras
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3070 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
I have only had the Toppy for a couple of weeks and I have lost so many unattended recordings through this. Tonight I missed both episodes of Lost and the second part of Silent Witness. Whenever I do a test recording it works, it's only programmes I really want that seem to fail. The Humax was superb from this point of view. I hope this gets sorted in the next update or it's going back!
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
So you're getting the same symtoms as described in earlier posts (four flashing dots when trying to put the machine into standby, only ever displays the time on the front panel, never the channel number "P001" etc. and also doesn't go through the "C4.56" and "run" statements as it boots from standby?

and a cold reset (unplugging it from the mains) isn't resolving it?

If you could post some additional information like what you were watching, what TAPS are installed (if any), how you'd set the timers etc.; then it's possible that some of the more technically experienced folk on this forum might be able to suggest a more long term fix for you.

Regards
Hyde.

IanP
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
andyfras wrote:
Tonight I missed both episodes of Lost and the second part of Silent Witness.
The start of lost is repeated, I think it's on Saturday night on Channel 4.
andyfras
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3070 Location: Fleet, Hampshire (Hannington)
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
So you're getting the same symtoms as described in earlier posts (four flashing dots when trying to put the machine into standby, only ever displays the time on the front panel, never the channel number "P001" etc. and also doesn't go through the "C4.56" and "run" statements as it boots from standby?

and a cold reset (unplugging it from the mains) isn't resolving it?

I am not getting the symptoms as quoted. It is displaying the channel number and it says C456 on boot-up. I have also done a cold reset.

I am running Jags EPG (6a), Quickjump 1.21 and Bookmark2uk 2.3a and I wasn't watching anything as I was out.

IanP, thanks for letting me know about the Saturday repeat of 'Lost'; I'll try again.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
For this one, I recommend going down the route of checking the aerial installation, and verifying andyfras isn?t suffering from the invalid timestamp problem.

andyfras wrote:
...I live in a marginal signal area ...If both tuners are on Mux2 then the ITV channels are OK. If I change one of the tuners to another Mux the ITV channels break up.... Signal strengths are mostly in the 60s and quality around 95, except MuxC which has signal at 49 and quality at 99.

Probably best to put TimeMon in the Auto Start folder, and keep an eye out for the clock jumping around.
andyfras
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
I installed Timemon as suggested and the recording I set last night worked OK. I will continue testing and if I get another problem, I'll check the Timemon log. Thanks for all your help.

My aerial installation is as optimised as it ever going to get. I have tried many configurations over the last 3 years since I embarked on the Freeview experience. I have a Televes Dat 75 on the roof feeding (via satellite cable) a 4 x 12dB masthead distribution amplifier in the loft. This currently feeds three rooms. The reception is mostly OK with occasional break-up which I think is caused by local interference. I am 17 miles from Hannington with a 48 dBuV/m (according to Wolfbane) signal.