Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Cannot play some recordings on 5810

Page 1 of 1
SD Viewer
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't find a thread answering this but if I have missed it please point me in the right direction.

I have an out of the box, completely unmodified 5810. I cannot modify it as I need to be able to link to the TV via HDMI and I believe it has now been proved that changing firmware disables HDMI functionality.

I am unable to play back some of the recordings I have made. The first time this happened the explanation seemed to be that I had deleted the first episode I had recorded of Dirty Sexy Money, so the unit had labelled the third episode simply "Dirty Sexy Money". It wouldn't let me play "Dirty Sexy Money-2" as despite the date stamp being earlier it assumed I was attempting to watch things in the wrong order. I tried renaming both episodes but this did not work. Therefore I assumed that to avoid this in future I should simply refrain from deleting anything until I had watched all related episodes.

However last night I tried to watch the first episode of Desperate Housewives of which I had recorded two episodes but where there shouldn't have been a problem as I had not deleted any episodes and therefore the name sequencing was in correct date order. This time the episode wouldn't play despite having the correct sequence name (ie. no number suffix). However I was able to watch the first episode of Waking the Dead of which I have 5 episodes recorded.

As far as I can recall all episodes have been recorded without using series/link record as I want to make it as easy as possible to undertand the cause of early teething problems.

Please can somebody suggest what the problem is or how to access the programs it won't play. The only explanation I can think of is that my Toppy doesn't approve of trashy US shows like Dirty Sexy Money and Desperate Housewives but likes Tara Fitzgerald and the French girl in Waking the Dead....
gomezz
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
What were / are the file sizes shown for the problem recordings. If they show as 0MB then that is an old problem and the recordings may be fixable - does anyone know if Recording Fixer work on a 5810?

R2-D2
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
gomezz wrote:
does anyone know if Recording Fixer work on a 5810?
Can't see why not. The relevant patches ought to work, too, but neither approach will help a file that records as 0Mb, i.e. actually contains no data since it was recording the wrong thing -- something the new firmwares can do.

Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
R2-D2 wrote:
something the new firmwares can do.

you say it as if it were a feature Smile

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
SD Viewer
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I have checked the file of the episode of Desperate Housewives and yes it says 0mb. I presume this means nothing was recorded (although it says 59min long ??) and therefore cannot be retrieved. Is there anything I can do to avoid further 0mb recordings in the future (using a firmware that supports HDMI) or is it a random occurence with no logical cause ?
R2-D2
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
SD Viewer wrote:
I have checked the file of the episode of Desperate Housewives and yes it says 0mb. I presume this means nothing was recorded (although it says 59min long ??)
The fact it says 59min long means it was successful (in the Toppy's view) and got all the way to the end. Unfortunately I expect it's tried to record a service while tuned to the wrong mux. Confused
Quote:
Is there anything I can do to avoid further 0mb recordings in the future
Yes...
Quote:
(using a firmware that supports HDMI)
... err... no.