Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Latest update on the TF5810

Page 1 of 13
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9568 Location: London
The latest news on the TF5810:

The container carrying these has now arrived in the UK, and is being cleared by customs.

In parallel with that a team of Topfield engineers is arriving in the UK next week to do work on the firmware, based on the feedback from the beta-testers - by working here, they'll be able to tweak things much more easily than is possible when we have to feed all our data back to Korea.

So, no firm date yet, but they're pretty close.

When there is more news, I shall, of course, post it. There is no need to make posts asking if there's more news.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Aug 2006 Posts: 123 Location: Stoke on Trent
is there more news????

just kidding lol, cant wait to see them on the shleves i know ill be tempted to get one.
Paul C
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Feb 2008 Posts: 48
Hi, first post n all that Very Happy

This is great news as right now Im sick of hunting for a DVD RW disc with some space to record!! I do intend to enter the world of the Freeview PVR with the TF5810 Cool
dsmithuk
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hi Nigel

Always worth starting any post on this site with a big thanks to you and the team for a fantastic forum. It really makes buying a Toppy a fantastic experience.

My main interest in the new Toppy is the HDMI upscaling. Do you think you or other beta testers will be putting a more complete review on the forum.

To date I have not bothered getting an HD TV as often pictures seem to lack clarity on normal over the air signals (inc freeview) compared to normal TV's which as I don't watch many DVD's is a step back. Thus this feature really excites me and scares my wallet

Any guidance would be great. Thanks Very Happy
SonicLife
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 1262
dsmithuk wrote:
My main interest in the new Toppy is the HDMI upscaling. Do you think you or other beta testers will be putting a more complete review on the forum.

To date I have not bothered getting an HD TV as often pictures seem to lack clarity on normal over the air signals (inc freeview) compared to normal TV's which as I don't watch many DVD's is a step back. Thus this feature really excites me and scares my wallet
You seem confused about what the upscaling feature over HDMI will do, it will make a marginal improvement over RGB I would have thought (I don't have a 5810 to know), and the up-scaler in a TV may be better than the 5810's, I expect they will be similar in most cases. I don't see any lack of clarity on LCD v CRT at the same screen size, in fact I would say LCD is sharper for a given size.
seadog
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jan 2007 Posts: 88 Location: I.O.W.
Any idea how many 5810's are in the container. Is there enough for the mad rush?

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyStuff 6.5; QuickJump 1.66; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MyInfo B5.6; FFWD v0.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (MHEG State Patcher V2);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/4/14
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Over 6,000 as far as I know.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 425 Location: London
Quote:
Over 6,000 as far as I know

Well that's the MyStuff team taken care of. Smile

Barry.

MikeyP
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
seadog wrote:
Any idea how many 5810's are in the container. Is there enough for the mad rush?

wot mad rush ?! Smile

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
flakmunky
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Aug 2005 Posts: 70
HDMI upscaling should not be your reason for buying one of these - a decent HDTV will, as previously stated, upscale the image anyway. The only reason to use the HDMI would be for the digital connection...
gomezz
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
It is the quality of the upscaling and the point at which it occurs which is significant. The 5810 will be able to upscale direct from the digital signal whereas any other digibox will have to convert it to analogue, send it to the TV which needs to convert it back to digital / upscale it. Also, the upscaling in many HD Ready TV sets seems to be a cheap and nasty afterthought.

DX
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
One thing to remember is it is likely the TV will be scaling anyway, whatever you do in the 5810. Unless your TV's native resolution exactly matches that of the incoming signal (and most don't) then it will either have scale up or down.

Since scaling doesn't improve quality (the best you can hope for is it doesn't lose it) the fewer times you do it the better, so usually it's best to output the signal from the stb at the native resolution of 576i, that way you only scale once.

It's always possible you have a True HD TV so it could accept a 1080i without scaling. So in this case it becomes a choice as to whether the 5810 or the TV has the best scaler. Given these True HD TV's are premium products it's unlikely they would be fitted with a scaler that produces bad results, so it is unlikely the 5810 would do a better job.

In short if your TV has a bad scaler you probably can't avoid using it, whatever the 5810 does.
littlealex
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
DX wrote:
In short if your TV has a bad scaler you probably can't avoid using it, whatever the 5810 does.

Agreed, but missing out the analogue RGB/s-video part of the chain would almost certainly improve things.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to split of 5800 disc noise items from this thread, lest we over-excite those waiting for 5810 info with all the new posts.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
littlealex wrote:
DX wrote:

Agreed, but missing out the analogue RGB/s-video part of the chain would almost certainly improve things.

On that basis my integrated DTV (Toshiba) ought to give a better picture when using it's tuner than when using the Toppy tuner and analogue input to the TV, but I can't tell the difference.

EMJB