Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield engineers to arrive in the UK this week

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Noodles
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:

Yes, they're aware of it. It's one of the main issues that I've stressed to them (in fact , it's in the top 3) and they've passed those concerns on.
Nigel.

Fingers crossed then. If they can fix it (or at least make it a configurable option) in the next firmware update then I'd order a Toppy tomorrow....
djhomeless
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:32 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jul 2005 Posts: 46 Location: London
I agree with previous posts about possibly adding new features above bug fixing in certain cases.

While I like a lot of you, am annoyed with a few of the niggles on my Toppy, the thing that gives my wife and I the most grief is the lack of caching on EPG data, and the EPG itself.

Personally, I would favor chaining the engineers down and force feeding them a healty portion of Sky and Tivo viewing.

Barring that, one thing they could do RIGHT NOW is to modify the default EPG to not change channels when surfing through the EPG. I can't tell you how annoying that is.

Granted, it is a stopgap. The Toppy will still have a poor EPG. But at least that would give us something to hold us over while a proper EPG is created.

Barring that, I suppose we could always throw JAG some change and beg him to replicate Sky+ as best he can. Smile

Geoffrey
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5952 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I'm with you...

My three pet hates are all features.

1. Changing channel in EPG.
2. Being bumped out of playback at start and ends of other recordings.
3. Only being able to lock a recording post completion.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
sebw
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 293 Location: Southampton
djhomeless wrote:

While I like a lot of you ...

Which of us don't you like? Wink
djhomeless
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
sebw wrote:
djhomeless wrote:

Doh!

Me and m bad grammer again. I forgot a crucial comma. It should have read:

While I, like a lot of you.....

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
paulcimatti@tiscali.co.uk
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jun 2005 Posts: 123 Location: Llandudno
djhomeless wrote:
sebw wrote:
djhomeless wrote:

Doh!

Me and m bad grammer again. I forgot a crucial comma. It should have read:

While I, like a lot of you.....

Smile

Yeh! My Granmar's not too good either!!

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5952 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The xtet can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
DrC
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
OMG. that is soooo mental. Shocked
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
Spelling and grammar are important, not least because while it is possible to make some sense out of poorly written stuff, it takes more effort, and it leaves context much more open to question.

I've seen that text pretending to be something from Fen Poly before, but I'd be surprised if there's any real research to back it up.

What I do know for certain is that if something is really badly written, or terribly unclear, i'll skip it and help someone else who is able to explain what their difficulty is.

If I were a Doctor, it would be a form of Darwinian natural selection...

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I never knew my bad grammer would touch off such a nerve! Smile

It is true though, when cruising boards in general I also tend to ignore posts that are poorly written, or of limited research (eg its broken what do i do).

I guess that in itself is a lesson for us all.

Now, about that EPG...... Smile

Geoffrey
Giblets
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 93
There, their, they're Nigel Smile
Richard46
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
rayd wrote:
Giblets wrote:
Improbox surely wouldn't help as it's the problem with the box changing channels when a recording starts AND moving to live time when a recording ends AND changing channels when a recording ends that is my problem - not the EPG changing channels - that's annoying too, mind... Are you saying that Improbox stops all this behaviour as well as improving the appearance and some functions? Surely not?! If so my 15 euros are already on their way...

Yes, Improbx does stop all that!

If you are watching a recording and a recording starts or stops, Improbox flashes an info screen to warn you about it and then carries on with the playback - undisturbed apart from the info window coming up and going.

Cheers,

Ray D

Improbox does seem to stop a lot of the recording start/stop interuptions but not all of them. e.g I have just been watching one recording while another was taking place. When a second recording started replay stopped; and I was dumped onto some other channel.
I am running the registered premium version of Improbox.
Fingers still crossed for the new firmware sorting this out.
Gerti
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 May 2005 Posts: 347
Hi!

ImproBox can't prevent you from losing your timeshiftbuffer, if a recording starts, but it will continue playback if it was interrupted by the Topfield...only version 1.44 beta8 has a bug which prevents you from continuing. So I wonder in which situation it doesn't work on you Topfield. If you could retrace it and tell me exactly when it doesn't work, I will fix this...didn't get any other messages regarding this and it also works perfecct on my Topfield since the beginning.

Best regards,
Gerti
Richard46
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Gerti wrote:
Hi!

ImproBox can't prevent you from losing your timeshiftbuffer, if a recording starts, but it will continue playback if it was interrupted by the Topfield...only version 1.44 beta8 has a bug which prevents you from continuing. So I wonder in which situation it doesn't work on you Topfield. If you could retrace it and tell me exactly when it doesn't work, I will fix this...didn't get any other messages regarding this and it also works perfecct on my Topfield since the beginning.

Best regards,
Gerti

Hi Gerti

Sorry I cannot give you any more information about this event. I was running version 1.43 I think as I have not downloaded the beta version yet on either of my two Toppys.
Please do not let this put any one off registering Improbox which does seem to resolve 99% of these interupted viewing problems despite my this one experience.

Thanks Gerti

PS have just sent 2nd PayPal payment to register my second box for Improbox.