Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Faster fast forward and rewind

Page 7 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
neilpercy wrote:
Having looked in the archive, the recording seems complete, so maybe I chose to do this FF'ding just as the recording was finishing in real time and this sparked a crash (conjecture here on my part, but it fits?)
That makes more sense to me. It could be related to the faster winding, but I suspect not. If the situation can be reproduced then I'd try it without the patch, too. It seems quite likely to me that there could be an issue with activity in the cross-over from recording to real playback that will happen when a chased recording actually finishes recording.

Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4733
I've tried all sorts of things in order to "crash test" the patch and no luck - it does what it says on the tin Razz However, I've had two unexplained reboots out-of-the-blue. One was whilst watching a recording (with nothing else going on in the background); The other was a duff recording - remnant of a bombed out recording after 5 min (missing the rest) at 2am when the Toppy had come out of standby. As crash/reboot events such as these are rare on my Toppy (annual perhaps) and have occurred after this patch was added to my firmware, I thought I'd share the "anecdotal" experience in case there's more to it and a pattern emerges.
Livy
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
SWMBO was impressed when i showed her the new speeds.

cheers R2

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
mike.hinson
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
I know this is still early days for this patch, but in the future is there any way that the fast speed could be coupled with small regular forward jumps to emulate even faster speeds while maintaining a fair degree of contact with the content?

I am wondering if the old jerky fast forward method employed something like that & if one method could be used to multiply the other? After all, that seems to be what my DVD player does at hight speeds.

Maybe when the dust has settled?
/\/\
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
When you try loads of small jumps with QJ you end up getting in an awful muddle. Now I'm no expert, but there must be some kind of resyncing (sic?) after every jump. I imagine the low-level stuff that R2 never elaborates on when talking about FF/RW bypasses all that QJ jiggery-pokery in some way.

Glen.

mike.hinson
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
glenmcfar wrote:
...I imagine the low-level stuff that R2 never elaborates on when talking about FF/RW bypasses all that QJ jiggery-pokery in some way...
The low level stuff is where the firmware tickles this little baby that is at the heart of our Toppies.

Problem is people like us are not allowed to see the documentation for that chip, so he can only tweak what has been done before, or guess wildly.

/\/\
jumbo
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
mike.hinson wrote:
Problem is people like us are not allowed to see the documentation for that chip, so he can only tweak what has been done before, or guess wildly.

/\/\
There are a few universities who seem to have more info on that chip than I'd like to know! Seek and thou shalt find. Not sure how the patent enforcement works though...
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
Seek and thou shalt find.
If you have actually found something new and useful on the Nec EMMA2 chipset (and not the countless other things called EMMA or EMMA2 Rolling Eyes) then the helpful thing to do would be to post the link, or PM it to me and I'll make sure those who could make use of the information get to see it. (Strangely enough, I know how to use search engines, and I've seen my fill of stuff about Emma [random girl, or government project], however interesting she/it may be.)

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The "search" engine you want to use is the soon-to-be -abolished Athens! (Need an academic contact if you're not one yourself). By the way you'd have hell of a job using standard search engines to get info on US patented stuff - however good you are at "Googling".
R2-D2
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
By the way you'd have hell of a job using standard search engines to get info on US patented stuff - however good you are at "Googling".
OK, so no use at all, then. Thanks.

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 690
jumbo wrote:
US patented stuff

The full text of all US patents is on-line at http://www.uspto.gov, the only problem is that you can only download a page at a time... which I'm afraid poor academics have to do!

Macrovision patents used in the Emma2 chipset also available for example

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5583936.html

Quote:
Athens

is just a way to get access to subscribed resources, mainly full text of databases/academic journals - I wouldn't expect to find any commercially confidential info out there, its being replaced by other means of institutional login. Sure some university depts will have NDA's for R&D work - which they wouldn't want to breach as it would be cutting off the hand that feeds!

Sig generated with help from MyInfo on 6/10/13
jumbo
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
I wouldn't expect to find any commercially confidential info out there, its being replaced by other means of institutional login. Sure some university depts will have NDA's for R&D work - which they wouldn't want to breach as it would be cutting off the hand that feeds!
Need not apply to Secret Service Rolling Eyes I wouldn't expect government documents to be left on a train, in a bin, back of a car, ... I wouldn't expect secret documents leaked, copied, bought or sold. I wouldn't expect academics to understand and/or stick to NDAs. I expect people to be "human beings" and guess what? They are! Thank god for that Razz
MikB
Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 239 Location: West Midlands
mstombs wrote:

The full text of all US patents is on-line at http://www.uspto.gov, the only problem is that you can only download a page at a time.

Bleurgh!

Why not try http://www.freepatentsonline.com/ -- need to register for an account, but no cost. The patents are served up as whole PDF files (not individual TIFF/etc. pages).
mvordeme
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 May 2007 Posts: 113 Location: Germany
Hi R2,

there appear to be problems with Filer when using it with a [Wf]-patched firmware. Cutting recordings with filer does not work any more, at least when using V7 of the patch. An old version of the patch does not cause the problem. In order to further isolate the cause, we will test again with V4.

The observation was made that when cutting with Filer, the progress bar appears only briefly and then the volume is reduced. Filer cuts recordings by emulating key-strokes, so a first idea for the reason is, that the progress bar disappears again almost immediately, if it was triggered by pressing and holding << or >>.

Unfortunately, the author of Filer is currently not available, so it might take a while to get to the bottom of this. Do you have any ideas?

Cheers,
-- mvordeme

more TAPs: EPG Uploader | ScreenCapture with OSD | HDD Info | TAP Commander | ScanDisk
R2-D2
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
mvordeme wrote:
Do you have any ideas?
How about using other ways to cut files? Smile Automatically sending lots of keystrokes to perform actions is always going to be a dangerous way to do things, as very subtle changes in the firmware can cause all sorts of problems, but unfortunately that's often the only way to do some things if you're sticking to the TAP API. I've no idea what sort of assumptions Filer is making, but the latest [Wf] reverses the speed order (as well as adding the fourth speed), so maybe it's connected to that.