Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 17 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
BobD
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4198 Location: Nottingham
heh heh. This behaviour (if we implement it) will only apply if Current (P) is selected.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
DanCJ
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 143 Location: Sunny Exeter
I'm not fond of the current scrolling as I really don't like not seeing what channel I'm going to.

Either the page by page option or one where the selected channel is always in the centre (unless you're at the top or bottom of the list) would be preferable to me

Dan

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
BobD wrote:
Black Cloud wrote:
OK, you're half way there. I have three pages of favourites. I know that ITV3 is half way down page 2, so what you have done brings the EPG up correctly when I'm on ITV3. But suppose I am on C5 and want to see ITV3 in the EPG - I start using the down arrow till I go off the bottom of the page, and I am expecting to see page 2
Is this how other people would see Current (P) working? Such that scrolling to the bottom of page 1 then jumps to page 2 (so the selected row jumps from being eg the 11th to being the 1st) rather than scrolling by a row (so the selected row remains the 11th).

I'd be more than happy with the paged concept on just the initial press of Guide (and obviously preserved by << and >>), but I think this suggested line scrolling behaviour is consistent with the original intention of presenting as few different EPG arrangements as possible. I can see how it would be a bit of extra coding, though. Smile
pillory
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Jan 2006 Posts: 98 Location: Cheshire
BobD wrote:
heh heh. This behaviour (if we implement it) will only apply if Current (P) is selected.
Thank god for that!

DanCJ wrote:
I'm not fond of the current scrolling as I really don't like not seeing what channel I'm going to.

Either the page by page option or one where the selected channel is always in the centre (unless you're at the top or bottom of the list) would be preferable to me

Dan
I think you need to talk to all the usability experts employed by computer companies over the last few decades for designing their GUIs at a cost of millions of dollars - they must have got the standard scrolling behaviour used on all computers wrong Very Happy

Black Cloud wrote:
Please stop thinking computers and think books - eyes are the cursor and hand turns the page - it works for me 'cos I've had a lifetime of practice. Very Happy
It's simple and has already been implemented - it's called The Radio Times and is available from all good newsagents... Very Happy
birdman
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1705 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
chunkywizard wrote:
We haven't got to the bottom of [recordings not stopping]
One thing I have seen is putting the Toppy into standby while recording brings up the Toppy popup that it will shutdown when recording has finished. But, sometimes, when this goes away the standard Toppy popup then also appears asking me whether I wish to shutdown while recording. I answer no to clear this (and all continues OK) but if this were not spotted (TV switched off while MyStuff pop-up still showing, say) what would be the result?

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
DanCJ
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 143 Location: Sunny Exeter
pillory wrote:
I think you need to talk to all the usability experts employed by computer companies over the last few decades for designing their GUIs at a cost of millions of dollars - they must have got the standard scrolling behaviour used on all computers wrong Very Happy

They often do

Black Cloud
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 297 Location: Brentwood Transmitter: Crystal Palace
pillory wrote:
Black Cloud wrote:
Please stop thinking computers and think books - eyes are the cursor and hand turns the page - it works for me 'cos I've had a lifetime of practice. Very Happy
It's simple and has already been implemented - it's called The Radio Times and is available from all good newsagents... Very Happy

Exactly! To the average guy in the street the Toppy is an STB, not a computer. There are still plenty out there with no Windoze experience, and then those who have some experience and don't want it encroaching into their living room. For those who don't know it's a computer, keep it simple and enhance the glow. Cool

nicolev
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
OK, I read through all 17 pages but didn't see anything on this, is there a likelihood of a feature which merges sequential timers, other taps I've been using have done this, but MyStuff basically combines everything else that these other separate taps do, aside from this one thing, I love it!

Embarassed OK, I've just seen this request in the Wiki, to do but low priority.... my bad!

Consider this a second or hundred and second whatever motion for that option... Very Happy

Thanks
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9306 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
nicolev wrote:
OK, I read through all 17 pages but didn't see anything on this, is there a likelihood of a feature which merges sequential timers, other taps I've been using have done this, but MyStuff basically combines everything else that these other separate taps do, aside from this one thing, I love it!

Embarassed OK, I've just seen this request in the Wiki, to do but low priority.... my bad!

Consider this a second or hundred and second whatever motion for that option... Very Happy

Thanks

Yep, there's 17 pages of this theread and about 300 pages in other ones Shocked Laughing Mike is doing a good job on the wiki so it's always worth looking there first. It's not to say we won't do it but there is always something more pressing Wink At the moment if you look in the TAP development thread you might see what is current taking up our time...

CW

sanecyclist
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
BobD wrote:
Is this how other people would see Current (P) working? Such that scrolling to the bottom of page 1 then jumps to page 2 (so the selected row jumps from being eg the 11th to being the 1st) rather than scrolling by a row (so the selected row remains the 11th).

I'd certainly like it that way.

Also, when pressing << or >> to jump a page, I think the cursor should stay on the same line rather than jump to the top or bottom of the page.

Quote:
I think you need to talk to all the usability experts employed by computer companies over the last few decades for designing their GUIs at a cost of millions of dollars - they must have got the standard scrolling behaviour used on all computers wrong

There's an interesting discussion to be had about computer usability, but let's just look at the matter at hand.

On a computer, you can scroll a list by grabbing the scrollbar with the mouse and dragging it along. Paged scrolling would break that metaphor. The Toppy has no mouse, so this is of no concern, and therefore it makes sense to look at other approaches. I think the Radio Times analogy is very appropriate.

You also tend to use the EPG much more than you do any single scrolling list on a computer. If you don't use a list very often, you have to actually read the entries anyway to find out what you're looking at. But if you use it all the time like with the EPG, it makes sense to have as few views as possible, which you can very quickly recognise. The channel logos provide a great visual clue for that.
juwlz
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10385 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Black Cloud wrote:
OK, you're half way there. I have three pages of favourites. I know that ITV3 is half way down page 2, so what you have done brings the EPG up correctly when I'm on ITV3. But suppose I am on C5 and want to see ITV3 in the EPG - I start using the down arrow till I go off the bottom of the page, and I am expecting to see page 2, but actually page 1 starts scrolling up instead. Please stop thinking computers and think books - eyes are the cursor and hand turns the page - it works for me 'cos I've had a lifetime of practice. Very Happy
This behaviour is already available using the << and >> keys, so surely making the up & down arrows do the same as the << and >> actually REMOVES functionality? Or am I missing something?

I'm now using the Paged view, but I wouldn't want to stop being able to get any sequence of consecutive channels that I want. My vote is to leave it as it is.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
sanecyclist
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
juwlz wrote:
This behaviour is already available using the << and >> keys, so surely making the up & down arrows do the same as the << and >> actually REMOVES functionality?

I guess you can see it that way, but on the other hand it keeps intact the page-by-page metaphor, whereas the line-by-line scrolling breaks it.

Quote:
but I wouldn't want to stop being able to get any sequence of consecutive channels that I want

I can't see the importance of that. Obviously another matter for personal preference ...
mike.hinson
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
nicolev wrote:

Thanks
Hi @nicolev,
Yours is the first comment for this option that has been recorded on the Wiki. If you find others feel free to add links on the Wiki, or PM me the details & I will add the links to other comments for this request (I suspect there are more, I seem to remember seeing them)

Thanks,
/\/\

trogon
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 May 2006 Posts: 85 Location: Nailsea, Bristol
I've found a little bug that's been around for a while. I tend to watch recordings from the archive in an evening, and typically don't stop one before watching another. So there is still post padding playing when I press archive which takes me back to the folder I was in, then I select the next programme to watch.

I will then use the info key to check the episode extended information as it starts up.

If I do this for items previously recorded I get the correct information. However, if I browse to the top folder and select a program that is currently chase playing, the extended information displayed is for the previous program I was watching. If the programme that is chase playing finished before I finish watching it the toppy briefly stops playback and restarts from the last place correctly. After this the extended info screen is correctly displayed.

If I finish watching a chase play and jump into another chase play, the extended info changes to the first chase play - ie, the previous playing programme again.

My keys are set up as follows:
Keys
K1: EPG chain activation key=Guide
K2: Now & Next chain activation key=List
K3: Archive key=Archive
K4: Timer key=White
K5: Archive Description Toggle key=PiP
K6: Extended Info key=Info
K7: Resume Playback key=Slow
K8: Jump To Start key=Text
K9: Jump To Next Episode key=PiP Switch
K10: Jump To PrimeTime=Text
K11: Resume/Restart Playback from Archive keys=OK/Play

Not a major bug, but it does catch me out occasionally.

underquark
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Feature(s) request(s):

Sometimes you want to switch on Toppy and record something right away. Can MyStuff be made to start after a couple of minutes have elapsed and without any OSD? That way I can switch Toppy on, record something, go to watching another channel and forget about it.

Can it be made to not store how far a file has been played as this seems to cause a lot of hard disk whirring when I stop playing a file? Basically, can you give us a MyStuff that can be as lite as possible in terms of remote response, moving on to next file play etc..?

P.S. I've just got to grips with MyStuff, decided I like it (5.x is way ahead of 4.5) and made a donation. This donation is for the use of MyStuff as is (5.21) and any future development is a bonus. Your efforts are apppreciated.
AV sender from Toppy2 to bedroom TV; J-Lime-inspired Linux on HP 620LX with Cisco 340 WLAN card; SDIO card in Navman PiN 570 (in case I get lost).