Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 9 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 114 Location: Essex
sanecyclist wrote:

I'm against any sort of popup boxes, the Toppy's own ones are annoying enough. Aren't the Play and OK buttons and the option to swap their meanings enough for this?

In my eyes no. If those buttons were specific to those functions AND next to each other then they would be OK but as they are multi-functional keys it's easy to forget how they are set. Maybe if you could use left and right arrows I'd be happy with that as the meaning to me would be more clear. There's always a habit of pressing OK to select something.

A pop up box with the two options suggested makes it obvious what you can do.
Black Cloud
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2005 Posts: 297 Location: Brentwood Transmitter: Crystal Palace
juwlz wrote:
R2-D2 (in 5.2 thread) wrote:
What I'd like to suggest is a paged view of the list, so you see the EPG with channel indices 0 to 7 if you're on any of those channels, 8 to 15 if you're on any of those, etc. With code something like: show channel indices (floor(C/N)*N) to (floor(C/N)*N+N-1).
Sounds like a good idea - I'd probably use this if it was available. I'm a great lover of consistency and predictability ... which is why I've got the EPG set to have "First channel in file" at the top of the display. However, this IS is a bit disorientating when the first page doesn't include the channel you're watching. In a 1-11, 12-22, (etc.) grouping, the highlight of the current programme would make it easy to locate the current channel (as it does now if I'm watching one of the first 11).

In my case, it's rare for me to be watching channels other than the first 11, so a fixed top of page is currently the best option, as I have the maximum number of channels showing and my favourite favourite channels are at the top of the file. However, the addition of Radio Channels to the end of my default favourites list could make the fixed page group approach even more appealing and relevant (even if I have to cheat in the favourites file to get good groupings of 11 channels Wink).

Julie

Oh drools. Juwls, that is sooOO good an idea. OK, I'm new to Toppy and MyStuff (two weeks) so still trying to avoid resorting to reading the paper TV Guide. But the paper TV Guide offers a 'paged' epg which MyStuff fails to match (Main channels on are on one page, then turn over for additonal channels, and over again for more). In my case, three pages of six will suit me fine.

Last edited by Black Cloud on Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think most people would find a popup box every time they press Play/OK rather annoying, so that's unlikely to be implemented.

Is that something you know or just your opinion?

Quote:

For those who want confirmation of what they're watching, you can already set N&N to be shown when you change channel, and (according to Hyde - I don't use it and I'm nowhere near my Toppy now) this already shows whether you're in Chase Play mode. If you ARE in Chase Play, you can already press STOP to go live. That's no more key presses than having to respond to a pop-up, and the functionality is already there.

I already use this but only usefull for chase play or channel change not for watching something that's already been recorded.
If indeed it was useful for this function it still would not cure the annoyance of preselecting the wrong function.... i.e. Start from the begining or Play from last viewed. While I can see the feature is there I don't want the annoyance of the recording starting somewhere where I don't want it to... I'd like it to start where I know it will start when I press appropriate buttons... hence a pop up box would be 100% fail safe.
Quote:

What we possibly COULD do to round out the options regarding Live / Chase Play is
1. to be consistent about what happens when you change channel, regardless of how you do it (e.g. P+/P- (whether in N&N or with no OSDs up), numeric keys, EPG, etc.), and
2. to have an option as to whether switching to a different channel will start chase play from the beginning of an active recording on that channel or go to Live, with the proviso that if you choose the Live TV option, the second key in K11 can be used to override this and start from the beginning of the recording anyway.

Would that cover everything?

Julie

No what you are suggesting is different to what I am after. You are talking about active recordings and switching to that channel.
I'm talking about previously recorded items in the archive which of some may have been partially watched...... or not depending if one nodded off Very Happy
lump
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Sep 2005 Posts: 70 Location: Melksham Wiltshire
eye of ra wrote:
As interactive services needs to be "on" to use radio stations you are getting the same delay as when you press the red button for say BBCi.

Ok, but this delay is increased by the N&N. If for example your auto duration is 0, the telly would be silent until you pressed exit.

Regards,

Lump.

eye of ra
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1012 Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire. Tx: Hannington.
lump wrote:
eye of ra wrote:
As interactive services needs to be "on" to use radio stations you are getting the same delay as when you press the red button for say BBCi.

Ok, but this delay is increased by the N&N. If for example your auto duration is 0, the telly would be silent until you pressed exit.

Regards,

Lump.

I see what you mean now. Just given it a try, I have exit allocated to another Tap so cant get the station to come up at all if auto duration is 0.

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
eye of ra
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1012 Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire. Tx: Hannington.
Black Cloud wrote:
But the paper TV Guide offers a 'paged' epg which MyStuff fails to match (Main channels on are on one page, then turn over for additonal channels, and over again for more). In my case, three pages of six will suit me fine.

As you are new, are you using favourites? I have mine set up as three pages, main on first, slightly less watched on second and rarely watched on third. Admittedly you only get the next few programs/hours on screen at once, not the whole evening (unless you use N&N and then you only get one channel). But trying to get a whole evening of say 6 channels on screen at once and still making it legible is likely to be imposable.

per-Sony-fied wrote:
Quote:
I think most people would find a popup box every time they press Play/OK rather annoying, so that's unlikely to be implemented.

Is that something you know or just your opinion?

Well IMHO pressing OK, getting a popup, scrolling, pressing OK again would be rather annoying, when a single OK starts program from the beginning and a single press of play restarts a program where you left off or visa versa if you wish, it soon becomes second nature. It did for me even when SHMBO got me to swap them over as she preferred it this way. A couple of days of "oh bugger" and now I don?t even have to think about it.

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
nwood
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 343 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
In case anyone's bothered, I'm in the OK=Live, Play=Archive camp. Actually Play=Live is ok too. I'd be happy if the only way to play from the archive was to actually go into the archive. Call me old-fashioned Wink

I have another feature request. Not sure if it's really a MyStuff issue, but I'd prefer not to install another Tap to address it, unless it's a really simple install-and-forget type Tap.

The request is to prevent 0 from changing the aspect ratio. I have a widescreen telly and I'd prefer it if the Toppy stayed on widescreen regardless. Any chance that MS could, as an option, trap this and do nothing. Yet another option, sorry.

R2-D2
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
Minor bug report: I've got the PowerOff thing set to Off (I like the Toppy's prompt) but if I try to power off with a MyStuff display active and then say "No" to the Toppy's prompt then MyStuff gets a bit confused I think. The MyStuff display cancels but it's left in a state where any other power off is ignored. In fact, I get MyStuff corruption on subsequent screens (the size of the Toppy prompt box in the middle of the screen). Once I then open and Exit a MyStuff screen everything seems to go back to normal.
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
nwood wrote:
I have another feature request. Not sure if it's really a MyStuff issue, but I'd prefer not to install another Tap to address it, unless it's a really simple install-and-forget type Tap.

The request is to prevent 0 from changing the aspect ratio. I have a widescreen telly and I'd prefer it if the Toppy stayed on widescreen regardless. Any chance that MS could, as an option, trap this and do nothing. Yet another option, sorry.

Talking of this it would also be great if the 0 button could be enabled to allow leading zero's when selecting a channel number. The advantage of this is faster channel changing as the Toppy does not have to wait momentarily for any further user input of numbers.
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well IMHO pressing OK, getting a popup, scrolling, pressing OK again would be rather annoying, when a single OK starts program from the beginning and a single press of play restarts a program where you left off or visa versa if you wish, it soon becomes second nature. It did for me even when SHMBO got me to swap them over as she preferred it this way. A couple of days of "oh bugger" and now I don?t even have to think about it.

PERHAPS I may be in the minority for this function.... early days.... but as a compromise how about adding it to the option of K11? Very Happy
DanCJ
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 143 Location: Sunny Exeter
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Talking of this it would also be great if the 0 button could be enabled to allow leading zero's when selecting a channel number. The advantage of this is faster channel changing as the Toppy does not have to wait momentarily for any further user input of numbers.

You can do it just as quick by typing the channel numver and hitting OK. (even quicker for channels 1-9)

Dan

R2-D2
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12149
For the purposes of entering it on the FeatureRequests WIKI, I'm going to resurrect the suggestion below about combining some of the half-channels. I wonder if this might best be done by allowing something like two channels to be specified on a line in your Favourites file? I suppose it might also need the swap-over times specified, since the OTA EPG has placeholder entries rather than blank spots, making it a little harder to spot this automatically.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89213#89213
sanecyclist
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
nwood wrote:
I'd be happy if the only way to play from the archive was to actually go into the archive.

I agree (since my chase-play scheme has been pilloried).

To keep things consistent, any channel change, no matter whether by pressing the number keys, P+/P-, or OK in the EPG or N/N, should take you to the live program. The idea of protecting you from accidentally seeing the end of a program is laudable, but it doesn't make all that much sense if it only applies to the EPG and N/N, where you can easily see that a recording is going on anyway.

pillory wrote:
PERHAPS I may be in the minority for this function.... early days.... but as a compromise how about adding it to the option of K11?

Fine with me, but I certainly wouldn't be using it.
sanecyclist
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
R2-D2 wrote:
For the purposes of entering it on the FeatureRequests WIKI, I'm going to resurrect the suggestion below about combining some of the half-channels.

Great!

Quote:
I wonder if this might best be done by allowing something like two channels to be specified on a line in your Favourites file?

Yep, with the channels simply separated by spaces.

Quote:
I suppose it might also need the swap-over times specified, since the OTA EPG has placeholder entries rather than blank spots, making it a little harder to spot this automatically.

I think an automatic solution would be quite feasible: the "Back at 6pm" type placeholders are always many hours long, so it would just need to compare the length of programs to see which one is the active channel.
pillory
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Jan 2006 Posts: 98 Location: Cheshire
sanecyclist wrote:
pillory wrote:
PERHAPS I may be in the minority for this function.... early days.... but as a compromise how about adding it to the option of K11?

Fine with me, but I certainly wouldn't be using it.
Don't blame me for that one Rolling Eyes - it was per-Sony-fied you're quoting not me.

I certainly don't want any pop-ups involved!!!