Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 5.21a Bug and Feature Posts Only

Page 8 of 80
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
eye of ra
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1012 Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire. Tx: Hannington.
@per-Sony-fied

If pressing "OK" starts at last viewed point, pressing "Play" starts from the beginning, or visa versa, selectable from option K11

Last edited by eye of ra on Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
eye of ra
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1012 Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire. Tx: Hannington.
pillory wrote:
Bob - could I request a new feature whereby pressing OK in the EPG always takes you to live TV irrespective of the current recording status of the programme selected. This is exactly the functionality of the native Toppy EPG which in this respect seems logical and consistent behaviour to me.

I also feel OK should be "live" and play, ?chase play? or another option separate to K11.

Hyde wrote:
I guess that could work, especially if you're given to using Play to explicitly tell the Toppy to start from the beginning. I never did like the Toppy implementation where Play resumed and OK started from the beginning. OK is an acceptance of the current state, whereas Play is a direct instruction in my book.

I totally agree, however SHMBO doesn?t, so K11 in my house is OK ?start from the beginning?.

TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 May 2006 Posts: 817
per-Sony-fied wrote:
so what I would like to see is a pop up box when a recording is selected that gives 2 options....

A) Play from last view point
B) Play from begining

I'm against any sort of popup boxes, the Toppy's own ones are annoying enough. Aren't the Play and OK buttons and the option to swap their meanings enough for this?
juwlz
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10280 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
per-Sony-fied wrote:
per-Sony-fied wrote:
What I find really annoying about watching recorded material, especially something that has been partly watched is that it ALWAYS starts from the point last watched and getting it to start from the begining for me just seems to much of a frustration.... so what I would like to see is a pop up box when a recording is selected that gives 2 options....

A) Play from last view point
B) Play from begining

Can we have a vote as to whether people like this idea and whether it should be implemented?
I think most people would find a popup box every time they press Play/OK rather annoying, so that's unlikely to be implemented. For those who want confirmation of what they're watching, you can already set N&N to be shown when you change channel, and (according to Hyde - I don't use it and I'm nowhere near my Toppy now) this already shows whether you're in Chase Play mode. If you ARE in Chase Play, you can already press STOP to go live. That's no more key presses than having to respond to a pop-up, and the functionality is already there.

Option K11 already gives you control over whether you prefer to have PLAY start from the beginning and OK resume, or have OK start from the beginning and PLAY resume from where you left off.

What we possibly COULD do to round out the options regarding Live / Chase Play is
1. to be consistent about what happens when you change channel, regardless of how you do it (e.g. P+/P- (whether in N&N or with no OSDs up), numeric keys, EPG, etc.), and
2. to have an option as to whether switching to a different channel will start chase play from the beginning of an active recording on that channel or go to Live, with the proviso that if you choose the Live TV option, the second key in K11 can be used to override this and start from the beginning of the recording anyway.

Would that cover everything?

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Hyde wrote:
I never did like the Toppy implementation where Play resumed and OK started from the beginning. OK is an acceptance of the current state, whereas Play is a direct instruction in my book.

Nah, I think the Toppy's got it right. OK selects a recording, i.e. the whole thing from the start, while Play continues from the last position like it does on a video recorder or PC media player.

So it seems it's a good thing we've got option K11. Fortunately the right way is the default. Wink
sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
What we possibly COULD do to round out the options regarding Live / Chase Play is
1. to be consistent about what happens when you change channel, regardless of how you do it (e.g. P+/P- (whether in N&N or with no OSDs up), numeric keys, EPG, etc.)

That would be great.

Quote:
2. to have an option as to whether switching to a different channel will start chase play from the beginning of an active recording on that channel or go to Live

Sounds good, except I think that the first option should be to go to the last position in chase play, because I'm not convinced that going back to the start of a recording every time you change channel would be terribly useful.

This raises a question though: when you change to a channel that had been chase-playing before, but where the recording has now finished, should it go back to playing the recording, or show the live program?

Going to live would mean that the behaviour of a channel change would depend on something that's not immediately obvious to the user. Therefore I think it should play the recording, until it either finishes or you press Stop to return the channel to live mode.
DanCJ
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2006 Posts: 143 Location: Sunny Exeter
sanecyclist wrote:

Sounds good, except I think that the first option should be to go to the last position in chase play, because I'm not convinced that going back to the start of a recording every time you change channel would be terribly useful.

I really don't like that idea - for the reasons you said. Personally I'd want a simple rule that going to a channel takes you to live unless you do it using the Play button in which case it takes you to the beginning.

If you want to go back to the last point you were playing then the Slow button can do that for you. This is all much simpler and isn't affected by whether the recording is still going or not.

sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
DanCJ wrote:
I really don't like that idea - for the reasons you said. Personally I'd want a simple rule that going to a channel takes you to live unless you do it using the Play button in which case it takes you to the beginning.

I understand that, but chase play on channel change would only be an option, presumably with going to live as the default, so it wouldn't need to concern you at all.

Quote:
If you want to go back to the last point you were playing then the Slow button can do that for you. This is all much simpler and isn't affected by whether the recording is still going or not.

Well, it wouldn't be affected by whether the recording is still going on or not, that's why I said it should always go back to playing the recording until it reaches the end or you stop it.

You could seamlessly zap in and out of a time-delayed channel, or even two (or more) channels, and without the somewhat unintuive use of the Slow button.
pillory
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Jan 2006 Posts: 98 Location: Cheshire
sanecyclist wrote:
This raises a question though: when you change to a channel that had been chase-playing before, but where the recording has now finished, should it go back to playing the recording, or show the live program?

Going to live would mean that the behaviour of a channel change would depend on something that's not immediately obvious to the user. Therefore I think it should play the recording, until it either finishes or you press Stop to return the channel to live mode.
This could be very confusing.

For example SWMBO is chase playing Eastenders on a Monday night but only gets halfway through so I change the channel to BBC2 to watch something else until the end of the evening. Then on Tuesday evening I sit down to watch the BBC1 news at 6pm, I select BBC1 in the EPG and I get to see the second half of Eastenders from the night before???

I think that would drive people mad Shocked
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Well im gonna add my views and say leave it as it is Very Happy

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
juwlz
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10280 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
sanecyclist wrote:

No - it's actually very logical if you understand that the reason behind it is to prevent you from seeing something at the end of a programme before you've seen the beginning.

Chase Play should only be invoked (assuming your setting says you'd like it at all) while the recorded programme is still showing. In other words, you will always be taken to the programme that's showing now. The only thing that varies is whether or not you're protected from seeing the end of it before the beginning.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
sanecyclist
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:42 pm Reply with quote
pillory wrote:
For example SWMBO is chase playing Eastenders on a Monday night but only gets halfway through so I change the channel to BBC2 to watch something else until the end of the evening. Then on Tuesday evening I sit down to watch the BBC1 news at 6pm, I select BBC1 in the EPG and I get to see the second half of Eastenders from the night before

Good point. I guess there'd have to be a time limit, e.g. if it's been more than hour since you last watched a chase-played channel, changing to that channel will take you to live.

But that would be no better than jumping to chase-play or live depending on whether the recording has finished in the background, so I guess that kills my chase-play-on-channel-change idea.
Ian Lowry
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Aug 2005 Posts: 64 Location: Cardiff, Wales
juwlz wrote:
No - it's actually very logical if you understand that the reason behind it is to prevent you from seeing something at the end of a programme before you've seen the beginning.

Chase Play should only be invoked (assuming your setting says you'd like it at all) while the recorded programme is still showing. In other words, you will always be taken to the programme that's showing now. The only thing that varies is whether or not you're protected from seeing the end of it before the beginning.

Julie

The reason I want to go to a channel with an active recording is to see what is playing NOW so I can choose to end recording prematurely. I don't ever want chaseplay, unless I choose it.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Vr

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.94; TAP Commander 1.0.1; MyInfo B4.0; mcgCYRResume V1.0; Power Manager v1.2; MyStuff 6.0; Little Clock v2.2; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;

Sig generated by MyInfo on 19/9/09
lump
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Sep 2005 Posts: 70 Location: Melksham Wiltshire
Hello,

It looks as though the N&N is delaying the radio channels (created by Onelist) from loading. My N&N duration is 5 seconds. It takes about 15 seconds before playing a radio channel after selecting it.

Regards,

Lump.

eye of ra
Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
As interactive services needs to be "on" to use radio stations you are getting the same delay as when you press the red button for say BBCi.