Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield engineers to arrive in the UK this week

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9511 Location: London
Discusss the news story here.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5890 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Weh hey!

Great news.

I was starting to wonder if we we're being left behind. But NO!

God I'm glad I didn't hold out for an Inverto Laughing

Whilst I've only ever had two no sound recordings in over a hundred that have been just fine, my main bugs are the EPG channel changes, locking recordings when setting the timer, and being bumped off my viewing for starts and ends of recordings.

Can't wait. Cool

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
ARW
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 25 Location: Surrey, UK
Excellent! Any word yet on the bugs tackled and new features implemented?

Since I've now forked out for two Toppies (one for parents, delivered in ~18hrs by Turbosat: well impressed), I'm obviously generally very happy with it, but as always the niggles get to me sometimes, esp. the EPG deficiencies....
bumpkin
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jun 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Glos/Hereford border
More encouraging news that's confirmed that I made the right choice.

I have never had a no-audio recording, only a few 0Mb ones before I sorted out my signal/aerial, since then all have been without incident.
subtext
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2005 Posts: 47 Location: Staffordshire
ARW wrote:
Excellent! Any word yet on the bugs tackled and new features implemented?

Since I've now forked out for two Toppies (one for parents, delivered in ~18hrs by Turbosat: well impressed), I'm obviously generally very happy with it, but as always the niggles get to me sometimes, esp. the EPG deficiencies....

You could always send the engineers a letter when they arrive asking "please check the my reservations". Laughing

My niggles are minimal:
1) I wish the EPG data was stored locally for a faster & more intuitive experience. (Nothing confuses my family more than having to set the timer when it's updating next week's programmes first...leaving the cursor at a future position, even when it does finally grab today's data.)
2) The "please check the your reservation" loss of timeshift buffer when another recording starts niggles me from a language POV, never mind a technical POV. Razz
3) The TUTV encrypted files situation is a nightmare. I'm just going to drop TUTV if I have any more problems. I'd rather save the 7.99 than deal with the hassle (part of which is explaining what's happened every time to family members). Mad
Broadbandjockey
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jun 2005 Posts: 140 Location: Hampshire
nwhitfield wrote:
Discusss the news story here.

Nigel.

This is indeed excellent news. If possible show the guys Sky+ or at the very least an ordinary Sky box to give them the feel of what a well designed and intuitive GUI for a PVR is. Failing that just showing them a recording of the Sky+ demo that airs on Ch 998 on a continuous loop would give them a good overview.
Noodles
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I do hope they are looking at the interrupted playback "feature". This and the no sound issue are the only reasons not to buy a Toppy imo.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
They have full access to the bug list, and the user responses on the site, so they will be able to see what people want done.

I suspect that actual bugs, rather than feature requests and changes, will receive the highest priority, but it's impossible to know until they're here.

I don't expect to have any more information this week - I'm off on a trip on Thursday morning anyway.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
nwhitfield wrote:
They have full access to the bug list, and the user responses on the site, so they will be able to see what people want done.

I hope you didn't use babelfish to translate the list and comments into Korean Very Happy

Ray D
Giblets
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 93
nwhitfield wrote:
I suspect that actual bugs, rather than feature requests and changes, will receive the highest priority.

I don't agree - fixing a stupid 'feature' that should be classed as the unit's main bug is the most important as it'll sell more boxes and result in fewer complaints from those that already have one... I'd say fixing the 'changing channel/losing the buffer' issue is more important than lost sound on recordings for my viewing, although both need to be fixed this time. A better EPG that has a buffering option would be good too - a bit like JAG's but with a full information option too.

Please, please don't let them leave the country without fixing the channel switch - it's caused more grief in my house than leaving the toilet seat up! Shocked
AlanRick
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 47
Giblets wrote:
I'd say fixing the 'changing channel/losing the buffer' issue is more important than lost sound on recordings for my viewing

If this is really a problem for you why don't you invest in the improbox TAP?

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 93
Improbox surely wouldn't help as it's the problem with the box changing channels when a recording starts AND moving to live time when a recording ends AND changing channels when a recording ends that is my problem - not the EPG changing channels - that's annoying too, mind... Are you saying that Improbox stops all this behaviour as well as improving the appearance and some functions? Surely not?! If so my 15 euros are already on their way...
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote
Well, with a bit of luck, I'll have a little more feedback on things next week.

I spoke with Turbosat on Friday, and the engineers are here now, and already working on things, but I'll find out more when I'm back and give as detailed an update as I can.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
Giblets wrote:
Improbox surely wouldn't help as it's the problem with the box changing channels when a recording starts AND moving to live time when a recording ends AND changing channels when a recording ends that is my problem - not the EPG changing channels - that's annoying too, mind... Are you saying that Improbox stops all this behaviour as well as improving the appearance and some functions? Surely not?! If so my 15 euros are already on their way...

I'm with Giblets on this one. All those other niggles are minor ones for me (only had 2 0mb recordings, and 1 no-sound one), however I wish I had a penny everytime I'd lost the buffer/auto-changed channel for the start of a recroding when watching something I'm timeshifting/dropped back to live when a recording has finished I'd be a rich man Very Happy

Richard46
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
groovyf wrote:

I'm with Giblets on this one.

Me too.