Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.54

Page 105 of 157
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
bellissimo
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Sounds like you might be running low on memory, which may explain the corrupt graphics.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
mhendo
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Oct 2006 Posts: 56 Location: London
Ugly--Kid--Joe wrote:
...I deleted the said folder as I wanted to move it to another, then went into the CT and went to "Move To" option to change it. Instant reboot on pressing < or >....
I had this very same problem the other week, when I first got the box. I also renamed/moved folders around using MyStuff, and then going to the associated CT's and trying to re-point the destinations made the box crash. Had the same effect when I renamed some folders through Altair too.

My quick workaround was just rename/move the folders, then I deleted the affected CT's (yes, its lets that happen), and just re-create the CT's and browse to the relevant destination folder.

I didn't raise it before, as the forum search didn't appear to want to return any results for anything I searched on, and I didn't fancy trawling the 90+ pages of this thread to see if it was a known thing Smile

Did you guys manage to thrash this one out today, or are you no closer to knowing the cause? Let me know if I can provide any further info/help.

P.S. - you'll see from my sig that I'm running the latest version of MyStuff (4.54e), and the latest firmware.
Ta.

Other TAPs: HDFWv2; ChannelManagerA2; RecFix 1.2; SignalMonitor; mei2archive BETA 3.8;
Transmitter: Crystal Palace
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
mhendo wrote:
Ugly--Kid--Joe wrote:
...I deleted the said folder as I wanted to move it to another, then went into the CT and went to "Move To" option to change it. Instant reboot on pressing < or >....
I had this very same problem the other week, when I first got the box. I also renamed/moved folders around using MyStuff, and then going to the associated CT's and trying to re-point the destinations made the box crash. Had the same effect when I renamed some folders through Altair too.

My quick workaround was just rename/move the folders, then I deleted the affected CT's (yes, its lets that happen), and just re-create the CT's and browse to the relevant destination folder.

I didn't raise it before, as the forum search didn't appear to want to return any results for anything I searched on, and I didn't fancy trawling the 90+ pages of this thread to see if it was a known thing Smile

Did you guys manage to thrash this one out today, or are you no closer to knowing the cause? Let me know if I can provide any further info/help.

P.S. - you'll see from my sig that I'm running the latest version of MyStuff (4.54e), and the latest firmware.
Ta.

Yes this problem is now fixed in the test version I tried today, but bob is also trying to debug this version for a few other minor problems.
I will not comit to saying it will be in the next interim release, as only Bobd can say.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
mhendo
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Oct 2006 Posts: 56 Location: London
Glad you got it sorted. Its no big deal if the fix isn't available until the next full release, as this is the most significant of problems, after all.

Other TAPs: HDFWv2; ChannelManagerA2; RecFix 1.2; SignalMonitor; mei2archive BETA 3.8;
Transmitter: Crystal Palace
mike.hinson
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi all,
I have created a Wiki based web page to try & keep track of some of the Questions & Answers in this thread:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/TAP_Groups_EPG/MyStuff

Because it is Wiki anyone can update or change it.

If any questions are answered in the MyStuff FAQ they should be removed from this Q & A page.

I have been working backwards from today (Page 105) and scanned back to page 97.

I thought this might be helpful because folk often find it hard to know what has been answered already so this is like a brief index to the thread.

If the big guns here don't like it & think it will cause confusion or make people lazy about searching the forum then I will remove it.

Thanks, /\/\ Very Happy

EMJB
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3460 Location: Maldon Essex
mike.hinson wrote:
Hi all,
I have created a Wiki based web page to try & keep track of some of the Questions & Answers in this thread ....

My concern about wikis in general is that no one owns the information, so no one is responsible for keeping it up to date, or removing the downright wrong information. Too much information can also lead difficulty in finding things, and multiple authors can lead to inconsistent layout etc leading to duplicated Q&A's (or at least ones that would be best combined) and difficulties in finding what you want.

I am therefore a believer in "benign dictatorship" rather than "communism" in this context. While lauding your efforts, I personally feel it would be better use of your time to co-operate with ChunkyWizard to keep the FAQ's on this site and his manual up to date and nearly all-encompassing.
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9282 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
I am more than happy to add any FAQs to the manual and this site. PM me any suggestions,

CW

mike.hinson
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 1735 Location: Bordon, Hants UK
Hi, Thanks for the feedback.

I totally agree that too much information can make it hard to find what you want. The main idea here is to have a dynamic list pointing out where questions have been answered in the live thread, a sort of index.

This list should never be very big but should help find where questions have been answered recently.

Perhaps it should be called a digest rather than a Q & A.

I am sure some FAQ suggestions do come out of the thread but I suspect CW spots them as he often answers them too Smile I don't think anyone wants an ever expanding list of every question ever answered so CW's selectivity in what he includes in the official FAQ is an important contribution.

From what I have seen of Wikis they do seem to self regulate in a surprisingly constructive way. If they are important to a particular community then that community makes sure the information is accurate and as complete as they need it to be. If they are not important then no one looks at them so it doesn?t matter any way.

I think the best outcome is that it complements the forum (which is by its nature is uncontrolled) but make the forum gems more accessible.

Thanks, Mike

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/TAP_Groups_EPG/MyStuff

juwlz
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10327 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I've just (at about 7:58-ish) set a timer by pressing Rec from Guide for "The State Within" which starts tonight at 9pm.

Eastenders was already recording, and Holby and The Bill CTs were about to start at 8pm. (EE, Holby and TSW are all on BBC1.) I got a message (in the right skin, so from MyStuff) saying that although the timer had been set, it "clashed" with an active recording. I then pressed Rec again and changed The State Within to a CT and waited ...

Eastenders duly stopped (well, actually, I stopped it early as it had finished), and then Holby started. When I checked what was happening (fully ready to cut down the recording time to allow TSW to record correctly), the timer said exactly 1 hour (which is what I'd expect if everything's working normally, as the other tuner's busy, and there are (now) recordings both before and after it, so no room for padding).

So basically, this means that there was no need for the message - at least in this case. I know that there's a safety-first timing issue with recordings about to start, and what info it's possible to get from the Toppy API, but can the message at least allow for the possibility that there might not actually be any problem at all? (Or has this been fixed in a version that I haven't updated to?? Shocked )

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10327 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Has anybody else noticed that the Beeb are trailing The State Within with the comment "If you have a digital recorder, then set Series Link or Series Record to make sure that you see every action-packed moment of the whole series". Somebody really ought to tell them.

Still, maybe it'll make more PVR manufacturers actually build one in. (And maybe the Beeb will start transmitting the proper EPG info to allow it to work too!)

Meanwhile, we'll just be gushingly grateful for MyStuff Very Happy

Julie

BobD
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4187 Location: Nottingham
juwlz wrote:
Eastenders duly stopped (well, actually, I stopped it early as it had finished), and then Holby started. When I checked what was happening (fully ready to cut down the recording time to allow TSW to record correctly), the timer said exactly 1 hour (which is what I'd expect if everything's working normally, as the other tuner's busy, and there are (now) recordings both before and after it, so no room for padding).

So basically, this means that there was no need for the message - at least in this case.
But surely since you stopped Eastenders early then the timer you were trying to set did clash with at least one active recording? Then you converted it to a CT MS probably then adjusted the timer to not clash with the active recordings, whereas when it was just a normal timer it probably did. I think Smile

Quote:
I know that there's a safety-first timing issue with recordings about to start, and what info it's possible to get from the Toppy API, but can the message at least allow for the possibility that there might not actually be any problem at all? (Or has this been fixed in a version that I haven't updated to?? Shocked )

Nope, no fix! Its just a case of not trying to make the timer code in MyStuff too complicated, and instead let the toppy handle it all, but just let the user know that something might go wrong.

Cheers

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
juwlz
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
BobD wrote:
juwlz wrote:

So basically, this means that there was no need for the message - at least in this case.
But surely since you stopped Eastenders early then the timer you were trying to set did clash with at least one active recording? Then you converted it to a CT MS probably then adjusted the timer to not clash with the active recordings, whereas when it was just a normal timer it probably did. I think Smile
Not unless I'm missing something: the "clashing" recordings were (new) The State Within (starting at 9pm, in just over an hour's time) and Holby from 8:00-9:00, which wasn't (quite) recording yet, because it was preceded by Eastenders from 7:30-8:00 which prevented pre-padding. Of course The Bill had no such problems, and was already recording its pre-padding. (Just as well - as usual, ITV1 were running early.)

There was only a (potential but avoidable) clash between the padding after Holby and The State Within immediately following it. The "real" message (if we weren't so close to starting Holby and therefore in the "careful" zone <g>) would have been "Timer set by adjusting padding of Holby" (or whatever the exact wording is).

Julie

IanSimmons
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Apr 2006 Posts: 53 Location: Kent
juwlz wrote:

Eastenders was already recording, and Holby and The Bill CTs were about to start at 8pm. (EE, Holby and TSW are all on BBC1.) I got a message (in the right skin, so from MyStuff) saying that although the timer had been set, it "clashed" with an active recording. I then pressed Rec again and changed The State Within to a CT and waited ...
Julie

Not the same thing at all, but I keep getting 'funnies' which are quite annoying - again, it may be I'm trying to do something illegal, but - we were recording Holby, which padded 10 minutes into The State Within, which we wanted to watch live. The wife wanted me to record Pete Burns on ITV1 but we were already recording Catherine Tate. So I 'stopped' the recording of Holby, and the Pete Burns thing started recording, like magic.

When we got round to looking for Holby later, it was nowhere to be seen... even though it had been showing as recording in the archive... Confused
juwlz
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
IanSimmons wrote:
Not the same thing at all, but I keep getting 'funnies' which are quite annoying - again, it may be I'm trying to do something illegal, but - we were recording Holby, which padded 10 minutes into The State Within, which we wanted to watch live. The wife wanted me to record Pete Burns on ITV1 but we were already recording Catherine Tate. So I 'stopped' the recording of Holby, and the Pete Burns thing started recording, like magic.

When we got round to looking for Holby later, it was nowhere to be seen... even though it had been showing as recording in the archive... Confused
I guess you'd already asked MS to record Pete Burns and got some sort of error message before you stopped Holby?? (Otherwise, we're getting into the realms of psychic PVRs here, which is too spooky for words!)

Once recording is occurring, MS isn't involved - the Toppy has gone native by then Wink. I (and others) HAVE seen the occasional problem where a recording "disappears" from the MS archive immediately after it's finished, but if you go into the native archive and back into MS, it reappears (even though pressing 0 to refress MS didn't make a difference). Could it be that you've had one of those?

(I think it's something to do with Automove and timing.)

Julie

Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
juwlz wrote:
Once recording is occurring, MS isn't involved - the Toppy has gone native by then Wink. I (and others) HAVE seen the occasional problem where a recording "disappears" from the MS archive immediately after it's finished, but if you go into the native archive and back into MS, it reappears (even though pressing 0 to refress MS didn't make a difference). Could it be that you've had one of those?

(I think it's something to do with Automove and timing.)

Julie

I thought that was a bugette that related to running MyStuff in Exculcive mode?

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote