Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Signal Monitor TAP V0.54

Page 1 of 15
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
EMJB
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3460 Location: Maldon Essex
Not surprisingly, newcomers (and even old stagers) find access to the signal levels on the 6 muxes and 2 tuners difficult. How about a TAP which:

(1) Cycles through 6 pre-selelcted channels on Tuner 1 at about 1 channel per 3 seconds, with tuner 2 on the previous tuner 1 channel.

(2) Displays last recorded T1 & T2 signal level and quality as four columns vs the 6 channels.

The channel numbers, associated name on the display, and dwell duration could be ".ini" parameters to allow for Mux changes and use outside UK.

A key could be used to select either average or lowest readings during the update interval.

Anyone know of a TAP which provides anything like these facilities? Anyone feel like making one?

Edit - I have taken up my own challenge and produced the Signal Monitor TAP - see later posts

Edit2 Download link for latest version is http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SignalMonitor/SignalMonitor.zip

Last edited by EMJB on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 17 times in total
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9519 Location: London
And for added fun, it will have to detect if it's running on firmware 5.12.99 with loader 5.14, and correct the reported value to take into account the bug in that firmware version...

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
Agree that a TAP like this would make diagnosing reception issues a lot easier. I started a thread on how to currently check tuner 2's reception at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6518 and it certainly isn't simple!

Also a while back I requested an 'outdoor barometer' style enhanced tech info display for MyStuff (minimum, current and maximum signal & quality levels in an audio peak meters style) but it looks like the team didn't think it worthy. Sad

However then I discovered something along the same lines at Infodisplay http://www.tapworld.net/content/view/168/47/. It only has a single channel display though.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13
EMJB
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
mr-b wrote:
However then I discovered something along the same lines at Infodisplay http://www.tapworld.net/content/view/168/47/. It only has a single channel display though.

Its listed in the TAP library on this site, so you needn't have looked that far!
mr-b
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
Sure, but Tapworld has screenshots with the description so I find it easier to see what each TAP does. Plus the description on this site didn't exactly do it any favours, so I must have passed over it previously!

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
EMJB
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
mr-b wrote:
Sure, but Tapworld has screenshots with the description so I find it easier to see what each TAP does. Plus the description on this site didn't exactly do it any favours, so I must have passed over it previously!

Feedback on the library entries always welcome (either as PM to me or a post in the TAP section of the forum) - that way you can help the next generation of users in the way we were helped by those before us!
janilxx
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
mr-b wrote:

Also TAPWorld welcomes change proposals for descriptions. Also screenshots are very welcomed. PM, email, TAPWorld's contact form...
mr-b
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
Feedback on the library entries always welcome (either as PM to me or a post in the TAP section of the forum) - that way you can help the next generation of users in the way we were helped by those before us!

Actually I have left feedback before on the TAP descriptions http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68561#68561 Razz but no one seemed to be listening. Will remember to post in the TAPs forum now. Smile

EMJB
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
mr-b wrote:
Actually I have left feedback before on the TAP descriptions http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68561#68561 Razz but no one seemed to be listening. Will remember to post in the TAPs forum now. Smile

Sorry to be pedantic, but that post refers to the layout/structure of the site rather than the descriptions of TAPs themselves. The former is something that only Nigel can tackle, whereas I can change the content (and unlike Nigel don't have a living to earn!). Please appreciate that there may be restrictions imposed by the software being used (which I imagine would be a horrific task to change), and that the advantages of a better way of doing things have to be weighed against the problems of locating and changing the existing instructions plus the confusion among those used to the present set-up.

When you make suggestions you must also appreciate that they are your personal opinion, and those who run the site may not agree with them or may simply feel they are not worth the effort for the reasons above. By all means make suggestions, but please don't expect them all to be taken up. I'm afraid there is only one way to get a site that is entirely to your liking, and that is to set up one of your own!
EMJB
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
To return to the original subject, I have picked up my own challenge, and produced my own TAP! It has proved to be a major learning exercise for me, but I think the results may now be of help to others. Download my Signal Monitor TAP at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_1.zip

The TAP shows minimum, average, and maximum signal levels & qualities for each tuner/Mux combination as follows:

This TAP probably only works for Bastille firmware & later, and Nigel's post earlier indicates that some people may get erroneous values with .99.

Please check the "readme.txt" before use, and post your commens, problems, and suggestions here.
MikeyP
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
my first observation is you've got 100% on some Shocked Confused

I thought the toppys own sig strength and quality never got past 99% Confused (even when you had 100%)

so is the toppys built in one at fault (misreporting) - or yours ? Confused

well done BTW - I don't suppose you would allow viewing of the source code to see what goes on behind the scenes? Very Happy

PS why can't it show overflow (ie EXCESS signal) - is this a hardware limitation?
EMJB
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
MikeyP wrote:
my first observation is you've got 100% on some Shocked Confused

I thought the toppys own sig strength and quality never got past 99% Confused (even when you had 100%)

so is the toppys built in one at fault (misreporting) - or yours ? Confused

I just display the value reported by the TAP API. I think you will find that all TAPs report a maximum of 100% - there seems to be a discrepancy between the value displayed by the vanilla Toppy and the values presented to TAPS via the API. 100% as the maximum does seem more logical, however.

MikeyP wrote:
I don't suppose you would allow viewing of the source code to see what goes on behind the scenes? Very Happy

Bit shy at present as it is not written to the best software standards. The fiddling around to get it to select the tuner you want is also rather convoluted, so I would end up having to produce software doumentation - the last thing every programmer likes doing!!! However if you have specific questions, ask away by PM and you might get answers.
bellissimo
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Congrats on your first TAP Smile I have been experiencing more signal break up recently (not sure whether this is weather related), so I will give this a whirl tonight.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
MikeyP
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4816
EMJB wrote:

Bit shy at present as it is not written to the best software standards. The fiddling around to get it to select the tuner you want is also rather convoluted, so I would end up having to produce software doumentation - the last thing every programmer likes doing!!! However if you have specific questions, ask away by PM and you might get answers.

if it gets the job done - it gets the job done Very Happy Wink
I'm no expert programmer either (even the most accomplished programmer can still learn new things each day?) - just wanted to see what you call and how you go about doing certain things - I just thought a fairly basic (I bet it didn't feel like that when writing it) TAP like this might be easy to follow.

it seems to me you have a peculiar problem on T2/mux2 Confused Shocked
janilxx
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
Can I use this image in TAPWorld?

EDIT: I decided to use it. Let me know if this is not ok.