Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.54

Page 39 of 157
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Bawbagg
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
AndyBaz wrote:
Had originally posted this here http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6182.
Turns out it may be more related to MyStuff than I first thought.

I had a Control Timer set for Spooks. For some unknown reason Sunday's episode got set with a timer named "Spooks.mec". This resulted in a file also called "Spooks.mec" which was invisible to the Toppy until I renamed it in Altair.
Not sure why MyStuff decided on "Spooks.mec" (Monday's episode was fine). Could have been a problem with the EPG data (I'm using eit2mei).
Perhaps MyStuff could check that the timers it creates will result in "visible" files.

As a side note, is it a bit suspicious that so many people are experiencing trouble recording Spooks? Wink
At no point would MyStuff rename a file with a .mec ending.

Spooky stuff indeed.

BB

Salopian
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 421 Location: London
My box also failed to record Spooks (BBC1)on Saturday. It did record Spooks on BBC3.

Maybe it's a plot by a secret organization.
Spok
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 May 2006 Posts: 89
I am running the latest 4.54a version of MyStuff along with eit2mei. When starting up the Topfield I find that MyStuff takes ages (45 seconds ish) to do the 'Loading.......' and 'Searching.......' process. It used to be much faster. The 'Loading.......' is the thing that takes the time, accompanied by much disk thrashing as it goes.

Does anyone know how to speed this process up? Does MyStuff need to do this Loading and Searching every time the Toppy is started?

Any help would be appreciated.

Spok.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 May 2006 Posts: 27 Location: Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Bawbagg wrote:
juwlz wrote:
You'll only get this if you're within <n> minutes (can't remember how many, but a small number between 2 & 10) of the start of the pre-padding for the programme you're trying to record.

Perhaps it would help to re-word the message to say something like "We can't tell for sure, but it's possible that this timer may clash ..."
Let me open with a disclaimer... I've been on holiday for past 2 weeks, so not completely back in top gear yet.... but....

No - that's a different issue.

There are 2 seperate problems in XYYMan's post: the first is the timer not set by CT (because it was too soon) - as you said, MyStuff needs 3 or 4 mins prior to a programme starting (including padding) before it'll set it as a result of a new CT (a situation that will normally happen when set by SlowMo).

However, the clash warning is offered as per my earlier post (which is what moley6knipe saw). I'm a little lost on XYYMan's comment that there were NO other recordings, and he also mentions his box was the "Check your reservation" box - which is native Toppy, not MyStuff. Confused

BB

Hate to put a fly in the ointment but I tried to set the CT at least one hour before the start of the programme. It just would not pick up the 9pm episode at all. Setting a one off timer from the Guide using the Record button displayed the MS warning message first but when cleared from the screen set it to record and displayed the red C icon against the programme name. There were definitely no other timers set either for that evening.

After I'd done this we turned to one of the ITV channels as mentioned and got the Toppy 'Check your reservation' message at 2058 (padding set to 2 mins before).

Hope this clarifies things a little? Laughing

Autostart TAPs: MyStuff 5.21a, Remote Extender 1.5, Description Extender 2.1, eit2mei ( beta 7.8 ), TF5000 Display 1.44c, Skip 1.34
Richard46
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Spok wrote:

Does anyone know how to speed this process up? Does MyStuff need to do this Loading and Searching every time the Toppy is started?

Mine takes about 35 secs.
Obviously the more TAPs you have in AutoStart the longer it takes. Do you use TAP Commander ever time you use the box? If not why not move it to Program Files and just run it manually when you need it. Might shave a few seconds off.

Richard

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
HaggleLad
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 125 Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Bawbagg,

Was just looking at your sig and followed the link to your blog. What exactly does "MyStuff_Extended_Info_V0.48" do and what does it need to run?
Sorry I've never come across this tap before.

Thanks in advance.

TF5000Display 1.53 -->My Display Designer<--
TapCommander 1.33
AutoLetterbox 6.11

Other Stuff:
URC-7780 Universal Remote x3
Modded XBox - Xbox Media Centre - 250Gb HD - X3IR
Keane IR Repeater
RF Link 5.8GHz Wireless Video Senders x3
Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
XYYMan wrote:
Hate to put a fly in the ointment but I tried to set the CT at least one hour before the start of the programme. It just would not pick up the 9pm episode at all. Setting a one off timer from the Guide using the Record button displayed the MS warning message first but when cleared from the screen set it to record and displayed the red C icon against the programme name. There were definitely no other timers set either for that evening.

After I'd done this we turned to one of the ITV channels as mentioned and got the Toppy 'Check your reservation' message at 2058 (padding set to 2 mins before).

Nope. I'm completely confused.

If you're getting a Toppy UI "Check Your Reservation" message, then you *MUST* have had existing recordings. If you tried to set a recording via a new CT an hour before the programme started, then it should have set OK - unless there were existing recordings... which should have then generated a clash timer (identified as a ! in a red circle).

Something very odd indeed.

All that said - we're speculating as to what *might* have happened. What I need to be able to correctly debug (if there is indeed a problem), are a set of repeatable conditions where we can recreate the problem.

Can you please try to regenerate the problem, and let me know how you did it.

Cheers.

BB

Spok
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 May 2006 Posts: 89
[quote="Richard46
Mine takes about 35 secs.
Obviously the more TAPs you have in AutoStart the longer it takes. Do you use TAP Commander ever time you use the box? If not why not move it to Program Files and just run it manually when you need it. Might shave a few seconds off.

Richard[/quote]

So the 'Loading......' is the loading of other TAPs. Is that right?

Spok.

PS Can't get this Quote /Quote thing to work.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
My box takes a while to boot but the MyStuff "Loading" and "Searching" only show for about less than a second.

Are you saying your toppy takes 45 secs to boot or it displays "Loading" for 45 secs?

PS: I think "Loading/Searching" means MyStuff is reading the EPG data, don't think its got anything to do with other taps and their loading.

PS (again): to get your quote to work you need a "] after Richard46.

TapCommander 1.33
AutoLetterbox 6.11

Other Stuff:
Keane IR Repeater
Richard46
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
So the 'Loading......' is the loading of other TAPs. Is that right?

Spok.

PS Can't get this Quote /Quote thing to work.[/quote]

No that is MyStuff but the TAPs are loading before that message comes up AFAIK and the more you have the longer it will take.

Richard
NB you deleted the bracket after my name Laughing

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Bob and the team, is it possible to have a warning message to say that a recording is a 0MB file or very small or whatever when the MyStuff archive doesn't display it.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
HaggleLad wrote:
Was just looking at your sig and followed the link to your blog. What exactly does "MyStuff_Extended_Info_V0.48" do and what does it need to run?
Sorry I've never come across this tap before.
MyStuff_Extended_Info is a PC app (not a tap) that converts an xmltv format xml file into a MyStuff.mei file.

It is most commonly used in conjunction with birty's XMLTV GUI - which creates an xmltv file from data grabbed on the Radio Times website.

In short, it allows you to have 14 days of rich EPG info in MyStuff - not the "limited" info that is harvested from the broadcast EPG data. The drawback is that you need to connect your PC to your Toppy every week or so to download fresh EPG data.

There is a thread for MEI is at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2115

WelshRhys did an excellent howto which is on birty's wiki at http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/wiki/index.php/Topfield_PVR

You can also use rt2mei to do the same thing (it harvests directly from Radio Times without requiring xmltv).

HTH.

BB

HaggleLad
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the explanation!

TapCommander 1.33
AutoLetterbox 6.11

Other Stuff:
Keane IR Repeater
juwlz
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10338 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Another feature for consideration (or rather a way of implementing one that's already been asked for ... sort of):

Last week, I had a clash reported for recordings that I was looking at in the Timers by Date list. (We run our Toppy pretty full atm, and I usually have a quick check to make sure that there's enough disk space for everything to record before we go out for the evening.)

Without having looked all that carefully at the details (other than programme names) in Timers by Date, I duly went to the Guide view for the date/time in question, and scrolled through it again and again, looking for the clashing recording. Unable to find it, I returned to the Timers by Date screen and discovered that the clash was with a repeat of something I have a CT for (on All except +1s), but on a "UK Gold"-type channel that I don't have in my favourites list, so I didn't see the recording in the Guide.
(Sorry to be so vague, but I can't remember any of the details ... and to be honest, they don't really matter.)

This leads me to my request regarding the setting of CTs:

I've read through the arguments for and against CTs being able to be set for a list of multiple channels. It's something that I'd like too, and although I can sort of see the argument that setting 2 CTs to catch recordings on 2 channels isn't THAT difficult (although you still need to duplicate Autofiling options etc. twice, which is a tad unfriendly), I can also appreciate that the UI to select multiple channels could be tricky to code and possibly clunky to use.

So, how about an alternative approach?

Allow the user to define and select GROUPS of channels (Favourites being one obvious one) for setting CTs. (I'd go as far as to suggest that if the user HAS a favourites file defined, then SlowMo CT should default to setting timers for channels defined in Favourites, rather than All except +1s.)

This would allow people to set up TYPES of channels, e.g.
Terrestrial channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Ch4, Five)
BBC Channels (BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, and maybe BBC News 24, if you like)
ITV Channels (ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4), and even
Film Channels (BBC1,2,3,4,ITV1,2,3,4,Ch4,Five,E4,More4,Film4)

Other options might then be BBC and ITV "pairs" (i.e. the channels where recent repeats / omnibuses are shown), e.g. BBC1 + BBC3 for Spooks, or ITV1 + ITV3 for The Bill, etc.

This would solve the UI issue and allow much more precise setting of CTs, as many people have requested, but hopefully wouldn't require radically different coding from allowing users to select "All Channels" or "All except +1s)? The clarity of the UI then simply depends on how clearly people name the files containing their lists of channels.

Even if you don't go for the general groups option, could we at least add "All Channels in currently selected Favourites" (or named Favourites) as an option (preferably the default option)?

Any thoughts, team?
Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
XYYMan
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:49 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 May 2006 Posts: 27 Location: Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Bawbagg wrote:
XYYMan wrote:

Nope. I'm completely confused.

If you're getting a Toppy UI "Check Your Reservation" message, then you *MUST* have had existing recordings. If you tried to set a recording via a new CT an hour before the programme started, then it should have set OK - unless there were existing recordings... which should have then generated a clash timer (identified as a ! in a red circle).

Something very odd indeed.

All that said - we're speculating as to what *might* have happened. What I need to be able to correctly debug (if there is indeed a problem), are a set of repeatable conditions where we can recreate the problem.

Can you please try to regenerate the problem, and let me know how you did it.

Cheers.

BB

Will try but it's never happened before. I'll play around setting some CTs and see if I can replicate it.

Cheers

Autostart TAPs: MyStuff 5.21a, Remote Extender 1.5, Description Extender 2.1, eit2mei ( beta 7.8 ), TF5000 Display 1.44c, Skip 1.34