Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.54

Page 31 of 157
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
knnelg
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Sep 2006 Posts: 25
Is there a concensus on which is the best epg to use with my stuff?

most seem to use either Jag or eit2mei. My Initial impressions are that eit2mei is the lower maintenance, 'set and forget' option. Would anyone like to give me the benefit of their experiences?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
bellandbottle
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
Well, Jags is a pretty heavy load on the Toppy memory, and eit2mei is not - and eit2mei does not time-out Cool .

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.
Sebby
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Site helper Joined: 16 Jul 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: London
I used to use rt2mei (data from the Radio Times website). However, once the v5.12.88 firmware arrived - vastly improving the native EPG harvesting - I switched to eit2mei, because as you rightly say - for me at least - it's less maintenance than my previous solution. It works very well indeed thanks to the new firmware, and requires nothing from me, which is nice. Smile

For EPG only, I don't think it's a good idea to use Jag's as it's quite resource-hungry. Stick with a dedicated EPG harvester.

Richard46
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
knnelg wrote:
Is there a concensus on which is the best epg to use with my stuff?

Agree with above. Using Jags just to provide EPG info for MyStuff is overkill. Save the memory space and use eit2mei.
I used to download Radio Times EPG but it is high maintenance and does not allow for changes to the EPG. IMO the best bet with Bastille and MyStuff is eit2mei.

Richard

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
maverick
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
Following suggestion somewhere, I use eit2mei for MS and rt2mei for mei search. The best of both worlds.

Mav.

ichilton
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2006 Posts: 506
Hi,

Just reading the manual before I try out MyStuff.

Are the advantages/disadvantages/recommendations for EPG data documented or explained anywhere?

The manual gives the options and how to use them but i'm still not sure which to use and why Smile

Thanks

Ian
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5889 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
True that particular slant isn't documented anywhere Shocked

But to try and answer your question:-

1. Use Jags CSV output if you also want to conduct searches on the description data, from within Jags, to set timers. Jags interrogates the DVB eit data and once setup does not require regular connection to a PC (exception being that Jags TAP expires every once in a while and requires an updated version to be copied to the Toppy). Jags is multi function TAP that provides similar features to MyStuff but presents them in a different format. There is also a version of Jags that will perform similar search/timer setting functions for the Radio data too. MyStuff does not currently support Radio.

The remaining TAPs/PC applications are just providing a feed to MyStuff. They have no other function.

2. Use MyStuff_Extended_Information (XML data from the radio times website) if you want much fuller information for programs than can be had from the DVB data stream, and also 14 days of program data. A regular connection to the internet/PC is required (once every 7 to 14 days depending on how current/far in advance you wish to maintain the data). Downside is that you wont pick up any last minutes changes to the broadcast schedule for over running sports or news style changes.

3. Use RT2MEI.... Don't know never used it, but there's a thread on here that'll tell you what that does. Just use the Search tool at the top of this page.

4. Use eit2mei which provides much the same output as Jags, but it's an install and forget TAP which just does it's stuff providing DVB eit data in a format that MyStuff can use. Like Jags it can pick up any broadcast changes to the program schedule, but doesn't perform any searches. eit2mei is also radio capable, but as I said MyStuff does not yet support radio features.

Summary:-

If you're not bothered about Radio and want an install and forget process, use eit2mei.

If you not bothered about Radio and want 14 days of data and don't mind the odd connection to the internet/PC/Toppy, use either MyStuff_Extended_Info or RT2MEI.

If you want Radio and program description searches use Jags.

Hope that helps Very Happy

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
ichilton
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2006 Posts: 506
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - that answers a lot.

HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
A regular connection to the internet/PC is required (once every 7 to 14 days depending on how current/far in advance you wish to maintain the data). Downside is that you wont pick up any last minutes changes to the broadcast schedule for over running sports or news style changes.

I'm hoping to get round the PC connection issue by getting a NSLU2 (and then I wonder if it's possible to setup a cron tab to upload the relevent file automatically during the night!?) but missing last minute changes is a shame.

Would it not be easy to implement a check, so it uses the extended guide data but then before recording checks either the normal EPG data or data from Jags/eit2mei to ensure the programme is still on at the same time and has not moved?

Quote:
If you're not bothered about Radio and want an install and forget process, use eit2mei.

I think I read that it falls back on data from jags/eit2mei when the extended guide data runs out so it sounds like the best setup is to setup eit2mei to keep it going but then load up extended info where possible.

Quote:
If you not bothered about Radio and want 14 days of data and don't mind the odd connection to the internet/PC/Toppy, use either MyStuff_Extended_Info or RT2MEI.

Obviously with the extended info you get 14 days of guide data and more programme information which is good, but are there any features in MyStuff which old work with that extended data or is the extra programme data just useful information for the user to see about a programme?

Is it possible for MyStuff to recognise episodes and not record duplicates like Tivo does? - especially with the likes of E4+1 where the same thing is on again.

Thanks

Ian
stuey
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
stuey wrote:
[feature requests snipped]

I would also say that usage of coloured buttons for jumping should be *removed* - if a user wants that functionality, they should install QuickJump, which offers more functionality than MS does at present...!

<ducks for cover> Very Happy

Sebby
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. I see it as a completely necessary feature. Afterall, the rewind and fast forward speeds provided by the Toppy are pretty useless. Being a part of MyStuff means one less TAP. I think the code came from simonc anyway, but if it didn't, or it doesn't match the latest QuickJump, I think there should be some kind of agreement whereby MyStuff uses the same code. Smile

stuey
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
Sebby wrote:
I disagree. I see it as a completely necessary feature. Afterall, the rewind and fast forward speeds provided by the Toppy are pretty useless. Being a part of MyStuff means one less TAP. I think the code came from simonc anyway, but if it didn't, or it doesn't match the latest QuickJump, I think there should be some kind of agreement whereby MyStuff uses the same code. Smile

What's the issue with loading another TAP, and one like QuickJump which must be really small memory- and performance-wise??

I agree with you on the functionality - totally required. However I don't think it should be in MS... modularity all the way!

Ex_Sailor
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 240 Location: Cambridge
I must agree with Sebby,
As there appears to be some problems when memory had been used, I would rather have the coloured buttons as they are now.
I just don't want to have to load another Tap just to perform one function.
The problem as has already been shown, differing Tap writers do things their own way and we have some Taps that don't sit well together.

Colin
Sebby
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
stuey wrote:
What's the issue with loading another TAP, and one like QuickJump which must be really small memory- and performance-wise??

I agree with you on the functionality - totally required. However I don't think it should be in MS... modularity all the way!

In some ways, you're right; QuickJump must be an extremely small TAP, but it's just the point of things being integrated. For me, this is one of the things that makes MyStuff great. It means fewer things to think about. Jumping with the colour keys is an essential feature IMHO, and I don't think it being integrated is wrong in any way. If it was integrated into a jukebox TAP, I'd say it was silly, but as we play our recordings from MyStuff, I think its related enough to be integrated.

mossman
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Posts: 582 Location: South of Birmingham, TX: Sutton Coldfield
stuey wrote:
stuey wrote:
[feature requests snipped]

I would also say that usage of coloured buttons for jumping should be *removed* - if a user wants that functionality, they should install QuickJump, which offers more functionality than MS does at present...!

<ducks for cover> Very Happy
Why would I then have to download & load 2 TAPs when one existing one does the job to my satisfaction?
eye of ra
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1012 Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire. Tx: Hannington.
I?m on the leave it in side, I probably use this feature more than any other single feature and another Tap is a problem, I?ve just had to remove one for lack of memory.

On the subject of jump keys can I draw BobD?s attention to this old thread?

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5879&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Only the first 4 post on this page are still relevant as the rest I think was miss operation on my part.

I now have *blue* set to jump 225 ?forward? and it still jumps ?back? 10 on first press from live.

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08