Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.54

Page 17 of 157
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
juwlz
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10359 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
tre4 wrote:
Just a quick question about control timers.

I set a timer to pick up F1 but if found nothing, even though I was using an "anywhere" type search. This proved to be because they title the Gran Prix's as F1: xxxx Grand Prix.
To solve your immediate problem, use the next Grand Prix as your starting point, and delete everything from the end of the title, leaving just "F1:" as your search string; make the match type At Start and make sure you have the right channel(s) selected too, according to whether you want the repeats/highlights too.

This has been happily working for me all season Cool

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
underquark
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1776
Or search for "Prix" anywhere and you'll get the Czech Motorcycle Grand Prix tomorrow too which might be quite good to watch.

5xTF5800PVR - 1 organ-donor, 1 for experimenting on, 2 x 250Gb and 1 x 500Gb (Seagate ST3500630A, no fan), one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.3; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; MEISearch 1.37; Various remotes - URC8820 (my fav.), URC8910 (for SWMBO), URC7562 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
JellyFish!
Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Richard46 wrote:
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:

Hyde unless I have missed something the N & N banner comes up when replaying when B2 is set to Yes even if B3 is No. The FAQ says set B3 to No if N & N is constantly coming up. I think it should read set B2 to No.

Richard

Thanks guys, will remove my thumb from my a** and read the FAQ's in future.... Embarassed

Cheers,

JellyFish!

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10359 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
iandom wrote:
... But seriously, we have to accept there are limits to what even the MyStuff wizards can achieve. (While I dislike adverts and cheerfully skip them, they do have the advantage that over/under-run of programmes is much less of an issue Laughing )
I figure there's no harm in ASKING for perfection. I'll leave it to BobD and the gang to decide what's possible, valuable and achievable. After all, the developer gets ultimate veto Laughing

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chrispayze
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
Small improvement request:

When adding dates to the end of recordings, where one already exists with the same name, could you force it to do the first one too? Ie add the date to every file. I say this because, when transferring to PC/DVD, I often delete them on the Toppy. Then the next recording doesn't have a date on it and it's not easy to see which order they go in, when compared to the episodes I've already recorded.

I don't think I've explained that very well, but I think you'll get the idea. It'd be great to have the option to add a date suffix to EVERY recording filename.

Cheers
Chris

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 343 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
KennyT wrote:
Yep. Me too. The minute jumps seem OK (red+green always seemed to skip about the same amount when watching "House") but the skip-back 30s seemed to be a bit variable...

K

Sorry to pick up on a topic from a couple of days back, but I thought that by making another observation, it might help to narrow down the cause of this behaviour.

I find that forward skipping is ok, but reverse skipping never jumps far enough. It's always too short a jump, never too long.

And another observation, sometimes the reverse jumps are very short, just a few seconds, and when this happens, it happens for all jumps for that occasasion (or recording, or phase of the moon, I don't know). My reverse skip is set to 20 seconds I think, but in practice they can be around 5 seconds when the Toppy is in this state.

Someone suggested it might be due to the Toppy jumping to the nearest I-Frame, so I'm wondering whether the ratio of I-Frames to P/B-Frames varies from one Program/LCN/Mux to another?

Regards,

Bawbagg
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
nwood wrote:
Someone suggested it might be due to the Toppy jumping to the nearest I-Frame, so I'm wondering whether the ratio of I-Frames to P/B-Frames varies from one Program/LCN/Mux to another?
Yes.... it does. The level of compression on a channel is up to the broadcaster. Some channels are far more heavily compressed than others, and if the skipping to an i-frame is true, then this would make a difference.

However, given that there are 25 frames per second, I wouldn't expect this to have *that* much of an impact.

That said - this is definitely going to be a low priority investigation for us.... I've never had a problem with skipping, I just keep stabbing the button 'till I get where I want to be!!

BB

maverick
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
Just to continue re. skipping, via vanilla UI blue button skips back 10 seconds while watching live time-slip enabled and MHEG disabled ( I think!!!)

Would it be possible to offer a different key (rather than a colour) so I could skip say 30 secs back into time shift buffer and still have MHEG enabled on my Toppy.

Regards,

Mav.

nwood
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 343 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Bawbagg wrote:

However, given that there are 25 frames per second, I wouldn't expect this to have *that* much of an impact.

Mmmm, 25 frames or 25 I-frames?

Bawbagg wrote:

That said - this is definitely going to be a low priority investigation for us.... I've never had a problem with skipping, I just keep stabbing the button 'till I get where I want to be!!

Button stabbing will always get there ... eventually Confused
Grateful for any investigation at all, that goes without saying.

Cheers,

Bawbagg
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
nwood wrote:
Mmmm, 25 frames or 25 I-frames?
25 frames per second - in total.

I'm a bit rusty on my MPEG knowledge (12 years since I did any of this stuff, jeez... I'm getting old), but there are I frames (intraframes), P frames (predicative frames), and B frames (bi-directional frames). You need an I frame as a starting point, and P and B frames contain only difference information.

If the reason for the lack of accurate reverse skipping was to do with a lack of an I frame, causing (let's say) 15 secs of skip inaccuracy, then if you switched channel you'd need to wait for 15 secs before getting a picture.

We all know this isn't the case, therefore there must be plenty of I frames in each stream. Therefore this isn't the case for skip inaccuracy!!!

BB

Bawbagg
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
maverick wrote:
Would it be possible to offer a different key (rather than a colour) so I could skip say 30 secs back into time shift buffer and still have MHEG enabled on my Toppy.
We're kinda short on keys. I can't remember if you can assign keys other than a colour to the skip functions.

If not, what about one of the other skip TAPs (quickjump/smartskip)??

I'll also ask if we can add in a non-colour key into the keylist.

BB

tre4
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 93
underquark wrote:
Or search for "Prix" anywhere and you'll get the Czech Motorcycle Grand Prix tomorrow too which might be quite good to watch.

Execpt that they put "F1: xxx Grand Prix.... " as the title

so the ....'s would cause it to be missed. I with they'd just keep it simple. I did think about using Grand but didn't really want loads of Grand Designs Smile
maverick
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
Bawbagg wrote:
We're kinda short on keys. I can't remember if you can assign keys other than a colour to the skip functions.

Thanx BB,

It would only take one key as when in time slip, MHEG is (obviously) disabled and the other skip keys function normally. I don't know if this request will get much of a following, but was born out of my desire to have a single key "action-replay" key.

Regards,
Mav.

(Incidentally, QuickJump specifically says in the read me that it will only work while watching a programme from archive or while watching in time-slip and SmartSkip has now run into Patent difficulties)

Last edited by maverick on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

jondurant
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Jun 2006 Posts: 90
tre4 wrote:
underquark wrote:

Execpt that they put "F1: xxx Grand Prix.... " as the title

I use "F1:+Grand Prix" anywhere which seems to work. Have also thought about "F1:+Grand Prix-Highlights" to not get the highlights but not sure whether that will work, so not tried it yet.

mr-b
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 641 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
I've just started using MyStuff and it's a great improvement over the vanilla functionality. It's definitely helped the migration from my Pace Twin.

I had a few questions - which I'm sure must have been covered before but they're not in the FAQ or manual and trying to search the forum was pretty fruitless.

1) Why does the vanilla EPG still come up after I press the Guide button when the MyStuff EPG is displayed? I don't want it any more and it's a PITA having to press it several times to clear the screen.

2) Why is the EPG load feedback option H5 to show "Loading ..." on by default? I'm puzzled who is going to want to know this?

3) Why are the Playback jump keys default values set logically opposite to the Ffwd/Rew keys e.g. red is jump forward but it's on the same side of the remote as the Rew button? Blue (jump back) is on the same side as Ffwd. I know I can change them but it foxed me at first and I wondered if there was a reason.

Also is there a wishlist somewhere? I couldn't find it on the MS web page. A few ideas I had were:

- Vertical dotted time line in the EPG a la the vanilla EPG, DigiGuide etc.

- Full (non-truncated) description of a programme in the EPG

- Show current day/date/time on the top bar

- Info Now&Next summary lines should have an option to not display the truncated description.

- Different background colour possible for Description field to differentiate it from the other info. Also for the Channel names in EPG.

- Info N&N button should toggle display on/off i.e. so you don't have to use another button (Exit) to clear the screen.

- Outline for solid progress bar to clearly indicate the endpoint.

- Info N&N for radio channels

A fantastic TAP though! Tx for listening. Smile