Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  TF5800 to retail in selected House of Fraser stores

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9521 Location: London
I've just received word that the TF5800 will shortly be available in selected House of Fraser stores.

More details are in the news story

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5618 Location: Cheltenham
That's good news. One of the most often repeated myths/criticisms of the TF5800 after 'needing to be a nuclear scientist to understand how to use it' is that you have to buy it from obscure mail order companies.

I'll raise your Comet/Currys with my high class House of Fraser Razz
ah5150
Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Telford / Birmingham
ah this is good news, and it doesn't matter if it's either the black panther or the original one!

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I just popped down to House of Fraser at Meadowhall, Sheffield.

My 'Do you stock the Topfield TF5800 PVR?' was met with a puzzled look. The sales guy hadn't even heard of one.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can only report the information I have from the distributors. But, especially with big stores, not everyone may know about the latest products - they were only due in this week.

Did you ask them to check the computer?

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid not. I was just passing on the off chance I'd get to see one 'in the plastic' and maybe get a demo.

I'll call them after the Easter break to see if they have an ETA.

I'm _so_ close to buying one....... Smile Smile Smile
rhubarbe
Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 452 Location: Cheshire
Plastic?? ??? What can the man be suggesting? I shall have to slap his face with my gauntlet and demand satisfaction. Neutral

Meadowhell I ask you.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
The guy at Gateshead Metrocentre (one of the stores listed as getting stock before Easter) hadn't heard of them either. Does anybody know what HoF price will be if and when they start to sell them?
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't know when they will appear in the stores - I do know they've ordered them from Turbosat, and they did so well before Easter. I shall investigate and see if I can find out what's happening.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2006 Posts: 44
Does everybody know that you can get them from SuperFi shops too? I popped in and got mine for 250 which was cheaper than the internet and had a 2 year warranty. Plus I got a demo and they compared it to a Humax(also in store). Mind you there aren't that many SuperFi shops around, I'm based in Derby.

nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
They should know - we've got Superfi included in our list at www.toppy.org.uk/shops.php

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:11 am Reply with quote
The TF5800 should be in more of the stores now, and Turbosat are also going to be giving some training to some of the HoF staff, apparently.

Seven more stores have been added to the list:

Camberley, Cardiff, Darlington, Leicester, London Oxford Street, Middlesborough and Plymouth.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Metrocentre HoF had stock today - 160Gb black model only. Although connected to a TV and switched on, they were unable to explain anything about it or demonstrate it because they "are waiting for a man to come and show us how it works". In fact they didn't seem very interested in selling me one at all. The price is 279.99. When asked, they were certainly not prepared to price match in any form nor give a free extended guarantee to make them more competitive. So it looks like I'll be buying on-line and saving nearly 40 - but it's still worth popping into your local HoF to see how good an actual machine looks before you buy.
russellelly
Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 126
Glasgow branch had them today - again 160GB Black Panther. I wasn't in, but I'm told the chap had training and was pretty knowlegable. He advised my mum that the manual was a Korean translation and was a bit ropey and said he would give her a bit of paper with an internet link - which he didn't - not sure if he intended to link to this site.

Anyway they said they didn't match web prices, but after calling the manager they made an excpetion (poor sales day when it was so sunny perhaps?) - got my Black Panther for the same price as Digital Direct + Delivery. Very Happy