Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  TF5800

Page 1 of 1
fpa101041
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I would appreciate some users' views of the TF5800 before I go out and buy one. Any comments, good or bad, would be appreciated as I've already had 2 bad PVRs so want to get it right on my 3rd attempt.

Many thanks.

peter
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Hello fpa101041, and welcome to the UK Toppy forums.

What PVR?s did you have before, and what didn?t you like about them.
fpa101041
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi

My first was the Pace Twin which was OK to start with but then kept losing recordings. I now have the Fusion FRT100 which is basically OK but has a lousy remote that has to be held very close to the unit, an over-fussy interface with messy graphics, and an over-complex button-pressing routine. I put my name down for a Panassonic TUCTH100 but was put off by really bad reviews.

The TF5800 sounds good although I am worried about the lack of a fan and over-heating. Mine would be kept inside a cabinet.

I'd welcome any advice before buying.

Thanks

Peter
Snick
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 102
Having owned a Pace twin for 13 months pre getting the toppy - I can only say the toppy is a fantastic piece of kit - since the firmware upgrade, it's been 100% reliable - and unlike the Pace, it does what is says it does - record flawlessly Razz
I could go on and on about it's features - but that's well documented elsewhere.
Stormin
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 154 Location: Newbury
Yep works a treat for me, now even better it can use Jag's epg tap (auto padding records etc... )
VCR is now just gathering dust...
glesgaguy
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
The Toppy is a good PVR , providing you don't get a faulty one, but that applies to any piece of equipment, if you read through this forum you might get the impression that there are quite a few people having problems but that is the nature of a forum such as this, it's only if you are having problems that you are inclined to post.

I've had my Toppy for several weeks and have had only 1 lost recording and 1 with no sound but that could have been down to me and not the Toppy.

I would say that the Toppy is a machine that you will have to learn to use, the interface is adequate but if you use the EPG taps it can make it even better, it's more a case of what the Toppy can do rather than what it can't but you will have to learn how!

The machine does run warm/hot depending on your perception but in my view that's not a problem, just because it runs warm/hot does not mean that it will burst into flames, I don't think there have been any posts to that effect but I would recomend that you place the unit on top of other equipment
sgtwilko
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
I have spent the last few weeks (well since the Toppy was released) trying to pursuade the wife that she wanted one.

Having finanally worn her down, she was at first sceptical until I paused Live TV while I went out the room. You should have seen her face Shocked

I can't get her off it, if she can love it this much, and work out how to use it, I don't think I can find a bad word to say about it!

Smile
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
fpa101041 wrote:
The TF5800 sounds good although I am worried about the lack of a fan and over-heating. Mine would be kept inside a cabinet.

One of our members has measured the temperature of his Toppy operating from inside a cabinet ? it was in the region of 45 degrees. Speaking as a designer of electronic equipment, I wouldn?t worry about that sort of temperature. Indeed, it?s fairly typical. It will feel warm to the touch, but unless you are seeing temperature up around the 55-60 degree mark, then it?s nothing to worry about.
Normsthename
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
I had the Fusion 100 before the Topfield, I would say the Topfield now with its updated firmware is a good upgrade from the Fusion.
The fusion has slightly better picture quality, not that the Topfield is bad at all, just the fusion is slightly better.
Worst thing I hate about the Topfield is the thing throwing you back to live TV when a recording starts/stops. This is a real PITA and I hope it gets fixed ASAP.
The USB works fine, but is nowhere near as fast as a USB2 could transfer, but it works Smile

Andy