Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  altair file transfer zero bytes

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Scratchy
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Oct 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Borehamwood
Just a note to say that I've been getting 0Mb transfers of files over 2Gb recently. After a bit of testing, turns out that my newish USB cable setup is to blame, as when I connect Toppy directly to PC via a short cable it works fine. For some reason the active cable (setup is PC-1m passive-5m active-5m passive-Toppy) isn't allowing the transfer of large files. Smaller files such as TAPs are fine.
ps_public
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I also have a problem with 0 bytes on larger files. I am using a USB over Cat5 extender (converts USB to CAT5 at the Toppy and then Cat 5 back to USB at the PC). The Cat 5 cable length is about 20 metres.

I am running Windows XP Pro (SP2) with Altair 1.250.

I will try connecting via USB directly to the Toppy tonight with my laptop. I am pretty sure I did this a couple of months ago when I bought the Toppy (TF5000PVRt Masterpiece) and it worked OK.
ps_public
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I have connected from my Toppy directly to my laptop computer on a 2 metre USB cable and it is transferring large files (>2mb) fine.

It appears therefore that the USB extender is the problem.
ps_public
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry that should have read >2Gb transferring fine.
EMJB
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463 Location: Maldon Essex
ps_public wrote:
I also have a problem with 0 bytes on larger files. I am using a USB over Cat5 extender (converts USB to CAT5 at the Toppy and then Cat 5 back to USB at the PC). The Cat 5 cable length is about 20 metres.

I am running Windows XP Pro (SP2) with Altair 1.250.

I will try connecting via USB directly to the Toppy tonight with my laptop. I am pretty sure I did this a couple of months ago when I bought the Toppy (TF5000PVRt Masterpiece) and it worked OK.

I too use a USB extender. It used to drop out frequently, but I improved the situation by keeping the USB & Cat 5 cables at the Toppy end as short as possible. It definitely suffers from interference from the CRT TV, notably when de-gaussing when the TV is switched on. I therefore try to transfer large files while the TV is off. One method of transferring large files is to cancel after a GB or so, make a copy of what has been transferred, and then resume copying. If it then fails, you can start again from the 1GB point, rather than going back to zero. I keep meaning to try screening the USB extender box at the Toppy end with aluminium foil, but have "never got round to it".