Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Don't press RED whilst recording two channels.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Vindictor
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 220 Location: Cornwall
Hi there.

I've had this twice in the last week.

While the Toppy is recording two channels, I pressed RED on a BBC channel to see how the Snooker/Darts were going, and after a very brief "no service available" message (fair enough) the unit promptly resets itself and both recordings are lost.

I know, after the first time it happened I shouldn't have done it again, but after a while with the Toppy, you don't even think about it recording, just leave it get on with it after the excellent JAGS has added your favourites to the timer, so without thinking I just pressed red.

Anyway, definately a bug, happened twice, and as I said, after the "no service available" was on the screen for maybe half a second, the unit rebooted.

Latest firmware installed.
V1N.
chrispayze
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
Yep, I've had the same.

Chris

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5955 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Strange, whilst this element of the Toppy only had a couple of testers try this out, it did pass.

But, as you say, selecting an interactive service whilst dual recording, does blow the Toppy away Crying or Very sad

It tries to display the warning message about a lack of tuners, but crashes rather than handle the conflict correctly.

Another bug to add to the database.

[edit]Actually, should have gone back to basics first Embarassed

The Toppy doesn't crash for me when I've not got any TAPs loaded Shocked

It looks like it falls over after I load a third TAP, doesn't matter which TAP it is, just that it's the third TAP.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
SteveR
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 152 Location: Bristol, UK
This was discussed a couple of months ago, it happened to me and was repeatable. After investigation it proved to be Quickjump that was causing the problems for me. The trouble is, Quickjump is more useful to me than MHEG, so no more "press red" for me.

Steve
---
Vindictor
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.

I can rule quickjump out as being the problem (here at least) as I don't use it.

I use Jags2.7, Movieprogress and UK Timers 1.2

Firmware is 5.12.25

V1N.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5955 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Three TAPs then Wink

shenson
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 566
As I mentioned last time: I managed to trigger this with just two taps: Jag and Quickjump.

tichtich
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
This is an old issue that's come up many times. I believe I was the first to post about it, 6 months ago (see here). But it's never been added to the bug list.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Good point.

Reading back through... it looks like we were hoping that the compliance with the MHEG spec would also resolve this one.

It hasn't has it Embarassed Sad

So then...

What words do we want in the bug report, since it looks like 3 TAPs always pushes the Toppy over the edge, but sometimes a particular combination of two TAPs can also kill the Toppy?

Shannock9
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060 Location: London, UK
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
...since it looks like 3 TAPs always pushes the Toppy over the edge, but sometimes a particular combination of two TAPs can also kill the Toppy?

When I used to program microprocessors with an unprotected memory model, this kind of thing happened frequently. Suppose the memory is initialised (say to zero) at bootup and the running TAPS are loaded starting from a fixed point. Suppose also that some other (e.g. MHEG interpreter) code is incorrectly referencing a location in the TAPS area but is 'getting away with it' as long as the initial zeroes prevail. Then when the TAPS load past the target of the incorrect reference the MHEG interpreter will 'mysteriously' crash.

HTH, Duncan (The only great-grandfather in dotcom)
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
New bug ref 79 in the database.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/fwbugs.php

Vindictor
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I've decided it's best not to press red whilst recording anything at all..... the following has also happened twice now.

I was watching Snooker on "interactive" yesterday, and whilst watching it a timer kicked in and started recording. No problem.

When the snooker had finished, I pressed text to exit, and the Topfield rebooted itself, with the famous "verifying files and folders" on restart, and of course, the recording was lost.

Was just one programme recording, and I was already in interactive when it started, with no problems.
As I said, not until I pressed the text button to exit did the Toppy reboot. Quite annoying, though thankfully the programme recording wasn't "important" just a bit of filler for a moment I had nothing to do.

I said above that this has happened twice. The other time I was watching one channel whilst a timer was recording another, and I pressed red to get to the Snooker, with the same result.
I think for now it may be safer to disable MHEG in the nice new option, and manually go to 301/302.

Thanks for reading.

Incedentally, now I recall, I also had this happen once whilst no recordings were in progress. Simply pressing red caused a reboot, and when it restarted, pressing red again to get to the snooker worked fine. It doesn't do it every time. At least it doesn't do it anymore merely by the "press red" icon appearing on screen. It's only in the past two weeks it started doing this, so I guess the BBC have updated something again?

I also noticed that my JAGS wasn't populating properly recently, and when I switched on the Toppy in the morning, it wasn't starting on BBC One, which is usually does after the jags nightime scan (as the wakeup timer is set to BBC One) I checked UK Timers, and it had the word "bad" in the line somewhere, so I guess it got corrupted during one of these reboots. Deleting the wakup and making a new one worked of course.

V1N.
whatpassword
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 466 Location: Mid Beds, Sandy Heath Transmitter
I've experienced this bug a couple of times but today had a MHEG crash when not recording. I was viewing Sky Sports News and selected English Tables Page 226. Box crashed and rebooted.

P.S. Edit...not been able to reproduce this since so can't explain it.

Taps - RemoteExtenderMHEG1.1, UKSubtitle1.4, mcgCYRResume1.0, DescriptionExtender1.5, eit2meibeta7.2, MyStuff4.54b, MP3 Jukebox2.1d, MediaManager1.3aBeta4, TAPCommander1.0beta8
Other -
cthatcham
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Feb 2006 Posts: 6 Location: Hannington Transmitter
I [b]never[/b] press red on the toppy for any interactive channel, I just scroll across to 301, 302 and 303 to see what is on offer. That way, you can continue to record using one tuner, without any problem of crashing. (Or if I want to see the listings, I use the terrestrial service red button on the telly.)

It should theoretically be possible to scroll across and watch one of the interactive channels whilst dual recording, provided that one of the tuners is recording a channel on the correct MUX, but I haven't tried it as yet.
wro
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2005 Posts: 89
I wish I'd remembered about this bug which I read about ages ago. I was recording two things, and then pressed the dreaded red button.

Toppy crashed, spent over a minute verifying files and folders and both recordings registered as 0 mins.

I have just upgraded to the new 'Eric' firmware, or whatever it's called (the 5.13.40) so just posting for info to say that it still happens!!

I have got 3 TAPS running : EPGNav, QuickJump & DescriptionExtender.