Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  TF5800PVRt (facelift) free

Page 1 of 1
TopTapper
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 216
Hi

I've gone the way of VuPlus/OpenVix and am hoping someone might have a use for my 5800. It's in good condition having only been used for about six months (a backup unit). It has its original disk (250GB IDE) and PSU.

It's free (postage included) and comes with a lifetime full-refund guarantee.

I'll post here if/when it's gone.

Cheers,
Martin

EDIT 23/03/18; It's gone to a new home. Happy viewing...
goodolpete
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 184
Hello,
just seen your post. Do you mind telling me which one you went for
and where you bought it? Also I’ve been haunting
https://vuplus-images.co.uk/index.php
to get an idea of the work involved in setting
up a new box. Do you know of a guide to setting up a vuplus box
for terrestial channels, and what the various plugins do?
GOP

TopTapper
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Hi GOP
goodolpete wrote:
which one [...] where you bought it [...] guide to setting up a vuplus box for terrestial channels, and what the various plugins do

I've been waiting for a price crash on older kit as as the market moves to UHD & FBC (neither of which are likely to be of interest here in the short to medium term) but it hasn't happened nearly as fast as I expected. The main exception seems to be the Xtrend ET8500 - a quad T2 receiver for £157 is great value. However, I only focused on VuPlus and Octagon, slightly irrational but I like the noises I've been hearing about both manufacturers. I went for the VuPlus Duo2 with quad T/T2, responding to a smallish price reduction, and because it could house a 3.5 inch disk I'd put aside for the box (6TB). I bought via World Of Satellite (WoS) because they're the home of OpenViX -- I love open source software and appreciate the massive collaborative effort that's gone into taming a very complex beast.

WoS supplied the box with OpenViX loaded -- which seems like a sensible place to start and I'm doing my best to avoid any plug-ins while I find my way around the system. So far, I've only installed one, name-forgotten but it sets programme start/end bookmarks using broadcast signals. Getting off the ground is fairly easy after reading the migration advice on this forum - including terrestrial tuner set-up - and glancing at the manual. I've only managed to crash the box twice so far. Wink Support looks a bit fragmented and I doubt very much that it'll ever be as good as you'll find here. Thanks to great contributors, as a one-stop shop, this forum will take some beating.

The only thing I'm missing is a decent EPG - terrestrial Freeview only - the main problem seems to be finding a decent source. I still miss the BBC Radio Times days when there were quite long, subtle yet bitchy film reviews. It was laugh out loud at times. Smile There are a few post-Toppy quirks -- just setting a simple timer seems to take way too many clicks but I've not really found my way around yet. Oh, and I need more control over the "skin's" tendency to go for small fonts (the TV is deliberately small: 26" @ 720p).

I know there's loads that can be done with a proper network device -- a channel for our cat-tracking webcam, streaming archive or live media to mobile devices, mobile app, pictures of cats & weather forecasts on on the front panel LCD, on-screen messages asking my sitting-beside-me better half if she wants a cup of tea...
alan_m
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3479
TopTapper wrote:

The only thing I'm missing is a decent EPG - terrestrial Freeview only - the main problem seems to be finding a decent source. I still miss the BBC Radio Times days when there were quite long, subtle yet bitchy film reviews. It was laugh out loud at times. Smile

If you have your box networked and connected to the Internet you can get the film reviews using the IMDb search facility. Highlight a film in the EPG and press RED (IMDb search) and then when you get the IMDb screen press BLUE for extra information. It's not perfect but at least you get a "star" rating and a more comprehensive description of the film.

One of the better examples of a review using the IMDb facility.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/imdb/

Mostly the reviews and extra info is limited to a single page.

Quote:

There are a few post-Toppy quirks -- just setting a simple timer seems to take way too many clicks but I've not really found my way around yet. Oh, and I need more control over the "skin's" tendency to go for small fonts (the TV is deliberately small: 26" @ 720p).

There is more than one way to set a timer and/or alter it afterwards.
Have you tried highlighting a program in the EPG and hitting the record button? This may give you fewer key presses.

Before you go to that route you may want to:
Menu -> Timers -> Auto timers -> menu -> 7 (edit new timer defaults)
and set up your prefferences for a timer.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2467
alan_m wrote:
and set up your preferences for a timer.
I'm pretty sure that only changes preferences for timers created by autotimer.
I've not found a way of changing the defaults for one-off timers.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
Hello,
just seen your post. Do you mind telling me which one you went for
and where you bought it? Also I’ve been haunting
https://vuplus-images.co.uk/index.php
to get an idea of the work involved in setting
up a new box. Do you know of a guide to setting up a vuplus box
for terrestial channels, and what the various plugins do?
GOP

Expanding on TopTapper’s post, it appears that most ex-toppy owners who read the Miraclebox thread and purchased an Enigma2 box did so from World Of Satellite (WOS) and had OpenVix installed by WOS. OpenVix comes with all the necessary plug-ins pre-installed for your box to operate as a Freeview or Freesat receiver/PVR with most/all the features mentioned in the Miraclebox thread.

Freeview requires terrestrial tuners, Freesat requires satellite tuners (many boxes can take both) and PVR functionality requires a hard disk (internal or external).

The appropriate thread is
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=263728#263728
and it's probably better reading is the later posts first as the first post is nearly 4 years old and some boxes mentioned have been since been withdrawn from the market.

The box set-up is mainly setting up OpenVix. See….
http://www.openvix.co.uk/

OpenVix has a number of inbuilt wizards which will take you through the basic set-up when you first turn on the box. Otherwise post to the Vix user forum or even the Miraclebox tread in these forums as many people who have migrated to OpenVix still post here.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
film reviews using the IMDb

Thanks for the additional pointers and screenshots. Out of the (WoS) box, I'm getting some IMDb info and a TLS error message which I haven't tried to sort, yet. (Toppy-like one-click Extended Info would be ideal ... and I expect that macros are possible [with a programmable remote, if necessary]).

alan_m wrote:
highlighting a program in the EPG and hitting the record button? This may give you fewer key presses. [...]

Yup, I've gone that way but not set Auto defaults, yet. Thanks!
alan_m
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
TopTapper wrote:
alan_m wrote:
film reviews using the IMDb

Thanks for the additional pointers and screenshots. Out of the (WoS) box, I'm getting some IMDb info

The example I gave is the absolute best you will see. It is more normal just to have half a page of extra info. The database doesn't seem to cover made for TV films which some US channels have specially made (or remakes of real films) by the bucket load each year.

Some of the extra info when it gets to the trivia and goofs tends to be poorly formatted and curtailed.

Quote:

and a TLS error message which I haven't tried to sort, yet.

If this is on the IMDb pages I'm not sure that it's a box problem - I've seen error messages at the botton of IMDb pages but the info is still there.