Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 38 of 38
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
birdman
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1761 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
alan_m wrote:
If you run the backup more than once on an image you will end up with duplicates of the Auto-timers and you will have to go in and delete the duplicates. It wouldn't be usual to run the restore for a second time anyway.
?!?!

Auto-timers are stored in a single file. Making a backup makes a copy of that file. It won't change anything on the live system.
Restoring a backup will restore the file you backed up. Nothing is merged. You wont get duplicate auto-timers.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
alan_m
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3460
birdman wrote:
alan_m wrote:
If you run the backup more than once on an image you will end up with duplicates of the Auto-timers and you will have to go in and delete the duplicates. It wouldn't be usual to run the restore for a second time anyway.
?!?!

Auto-timers are stored in a single file. Making a backup makes a copy of that file. It won't change anything on the live system.
Restoring a backup will restore the file you backed up. Nothing is merged. You wont get duplicate auto-timers.

Yes, my mistake in what I wrote.

It's the power timers that get duplicated.
Both versions run at the same time hence my power timer configured to put the box into standby at 00.30am got duplicated, and then I got two information windows saying the power timer was about to kick in.

For other readers, a power timer allows the user to put the box into standby, deep standby[1] or to wake up under certain conditions.
I have a power timer to put my box into standby at 00:30am, another to put my box into standby if the remote isn't used for 3 hours and a third to put the box into deep standby if it's in standby for more than 10 minutes.

When the power timer kicks in an nformation window appears allowing the user to accept or cancel the operation - or if ignored the timer automatically implements the action after 2 minutes.

[1]
Standby turns very little off and it takes seconds to come out of standby. Deep standby turns most things off and reduces the power consumption to less than 1 Watt but it takes 30+ seconds to wake the box up. The box can still record from deep standby or standby.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1761 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
alan_m wrote:
Yes, my mistake in what I wrote.

It's the power timers that get duplicated.
They are also in a single file...

None of mine ever get duplicated.
Well, not in the last 2 years...

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 77
Sorry to ask here but I've drawn a bit of a blank after trawling the web, the multitude of menus on the machine in all places I could think, and even resorting to the manual. As my question is related to a Toppy-esque feature I thought one of the previous converts might know.

When you start to play back a recording it always starts from the beginning of the recording (and asks if you want to resume if already played) but I was wondering if there is a way to get it to start at the beginning of the programme in a similar fashion to the jump to accurate bookmark feature in MyStuff?

Markers are placed in the file at the supposed programme start and end time, so I'm aware you can easily use the ">" button on the remote to jump to that first marker past the padding.

The reason I ask is I started watching a recording only to immediately be presented with the climax of the previous programme which we had also recorded but were yet to watch, kind of spoiling it in the process. An automatic jump to the first marker would solve this issue. Can it be done?

Additionally, it is with great regret and sadness that I have to say the faithful old Toppy was decommissioned yesterday after nearly 12 years of service as it was only turned on once during the two weeks of parallel running, and only then to check something I thought I'd missed transferring over.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2409
ChunkyBloke wrote:
The reason I ask is I started watching a recording only to immediately be presented with the climax of the previous programme which we had also recorded but were yet to watch, kind of spoiling it in the process.

I don't think you can automatically skip to a marker, the only daft solution would be not to have pre-padding, but then you'd lose all the benefits.

ccsx
goodolpete
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 172
Hi,
following this thread with interest.
One thing I canít find in any forum is
whether you can connect to and record BT Sport
on a satellite tuner. Can anyone help?
Pete

ô
gomezz
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3964 Location: Buckingham
No as it is only available on subscription to those with a Sky box able to de-encrypt the transmission although you do not necessarily need an active Sky subscription as well. To be eligible you do also need to be a BT broadband subscriber.

goodolpete
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
gomezz wrote:
No as it is only available on subscription to those with a Sky box able to de-encrypt the transmission although you do not necessarily need an active Sky subscription as well. To be eligible you do also need to be a BT broadband subscriber.

Hi Gomezz, thanks for the comment.
ATM I watch it legitimately through my Thompson SkyDigital box
with a FreeSat card associated with my BT Sport account, provided
because I have BT broadband.
Can I watch it through an Xtrend, Miraclebox or other box?

ô
alan_m
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
gomezz wrote:

Hi Gomezz, thanks for the comment.
ATM I watch it legitimately through my Thompson SkyDigital box
with a FreeSat card associated with my BT Sport account, provided
because I have BT broadband.
Can I watch it through an Xtrend, Miraclebox or other box?

I don't know the answer but..

The enigma boxes can take a card and decode using a softcam although not all the different softcams are supported on all boxes/images. Cards however may be tied to Sky boxes only and perhaps not transferrable to another box.

The World of Satellite /Openvix forums may not be the best place to find an answer as they have a very strict policy of banning all discussion about illegal means of viewing broadcast TV - which may be similar to some legal means. They limit discussion to free to air rather than subscription and BT sport may be classed as subscription TV. You may find instructions about installation of softcams but none or little on configuration.

You may be better off asking on the Openvix forum if it is possible to legally receive BT sport with a legal card and what plug-ins (softcams) are necessary. If nothing else you are likely to get a yes/no answer.
It may be that the card only works in a sky provided box.

Otherwise try a general google search on a combination of "Enigma2", "Sky" "BT Sport" "softcam" etc.

These enigma 2 boxes can also run similar images from OpenPli and OpenATV and their forums may allow a broader range of discussion and any answer there could be read across to the Openvix image.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
another newby Q Iím afraid.
When you see much cheaper boxes for sale:

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar/tiviar-alpha-plus
Or
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/formuler/formuler_f1
what are you giving up in order to buy them that cheap?

ô
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 77
goodolpete wrote:
Hi,

Or

Not a great deal as far as I could determine when I was looking around. Similar connectivity, similar CPU spec etc. However, the sticking point for me was having 2 fixed satellite tuners which I wouldn't need/use and only a single terrestrial tuner as an option. There might be fewer options for Enigma2 firmware, but if you're happy with OpenVix then no issue there. Reliability and build quality I can't comment on.

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2409
If money were no object, I still wouldn't know who makes the "best" receivers.

I'd choose quality every time, but nowadays quality and higher prices don't necessarily mean the same thing (if they ever did!).

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
Hi,

Or

They look to be a good buy for (mainly) satellite use Ė although I have no personal experiences of either box.

Judging by the published specification you are not giving up much if you want a twin or triple satellite tuner box (Freesat) - with the option of having a single terrestrial tuner. If you only want terrestrial (Freeview) then these boxes are not the way to go.

The cheaper of the two boxes cannot be fitted with an internal hard drive so if you want to use it for recording you would have to use an external USB drive or a drive connected on your home network. Ideally you would store the 7 day EPG on a hard drive or USB memory stick, although you could use the internal flash memory for this.

Both boxes have 512Mbytes of flash memory which is more than adequate to store the VIX software and picons (channel icons). A Vix image requires around 60 Mbytes of flash storage.

The RAM is around the same as most mid range boxes of a year ago so no problems there.

A lot of top end boxes are moving toward 4K TV support and perhaps making boxes capable of only SD and HD TV more affordable.

A third tuner and a hard disk pushes up the price of the complete package but it is still cheaper than the price of a Toppy a decade or more ago.

Last edited by alan_m on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
duplicate deleted