Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Toppy wonít record

Page 1 of 1
goodolpete
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 166
Have a toppy from Andy.
Last night it recorded none of the progs I had timers for.
I set up a PS just now for a prog at 0730 today.
Now at 0740 green roundel has changed to red spot in the EPG.
Timer is still shown in the list of timers.
Nothing is recording.
I rescanned before this and cut channels to 20 odd.
Will reinstalling MS help.
Any other suggestions please?

ô
juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10810 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Once MS has set the timers, it doesn't get involved in whether they actually start or not. That's all done by the firmware. So I wouldn't expect reinstalling MS to have any effect.

Are you sure the clock is correct?

Can you instant record? (i.e. just press the record button and see whether the current programme gets recorded.)

Another possibility is some sort of file system corruption. i.e. the programmes HAVE recorded, but have been "randomly" been put somewhere weird in the file system that you can see with the Toppy UI. If you can hook up a PC, you could try just having a look at the filesystem to see if it has all the things you'd expect in the right places.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
goodolpete
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi Juwlz, thanks for your reply
juwlz wrote:
Are you sure the clock is correct?

Yes.

Can you instant record? (i.e. just press the record button and see whether the current programme gets recorded.)

I couldnít when I first tried. I got a red spot on the epg. I went into archive,
nothing showing, so I went into the native archive by pressing archive button
twice, and there was a file there, zero bytes, unplayable. TS and PS didnít
work. Iíve powered off the toppy and switched off the power for ten min.
On power up, instant record and PS work again. Strange!

Another possibility is some sort of file system corruption. i.e. the programmes HAVE recorded, but have been "randomly" been put somewhere weird in the file system that you can see with the Toppy UI. If you can hook up a PC, you could try just having a look at the filesystem to see if it has all the things you'd expect in the right places.
Julie

My wife has said she has no confidence in the toppy.
I remember you saying you were going to buy another make.
What did you buy?
Can you recommend it?

ô
juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10810 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
We bought an XTrend 8500, but I still don't quite trust it. (University Challenge didn't record this week for some reason, for instance.)

I like what it can do, but I haven't quite managed to bend it to my will yet. It's Unix based, and unless you're into Unix, I'd say it's not for the faint-hearted. Although to be fair, we have made life extra difficult for ourselves by getting it with two Freeview and two Satellite tuners, which complicates things.

See Help With Migration To Enigma2 PVRs e.g. MiracleBox, XTrend and General Discussion on Toppy Replacements for more info.

Julie

alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3432
juwlz wrote:
We bought an XTrend 8500, but I still don't quite trust it. (University Challenge didn't record this week for some reason, for instance.)

Which image do have installed. A bug, or two, that caused the timers to misbehave was found recently and rectified with build 5.0.029.

see all of the thread
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57337-Sleep-Timer-Function-on-Vix-images

Timers also have logs so you may be able to see what may be going wrong. In the timer section see if you have a timer for University Challenge and it is reported as being done. Highlight it and hit the info button on the remote - you should get a screen with a log of that timer function.

Quote:

I like what it can do, but I haven't quite managed to bend it to my will yet. It's Unix based, and unless you're into Unix, I'd say it's not for the faint-hearted.

You don't really have to understand UNIX. It can help to be familiar with a few basic commands but not essential. What you may need more is an understanding of a FTP program (FTP = File transfer Protocol) but again once set-up with a few parameters its easy to use.

The box has a learning curve but not because its UNIX based but more because it is so configurable. The other thing to consider is that it isn't a Toppy and it doesn't run Mystuff. You need to get into a different mindset as other software writers have a different view on how things should work

Quote:

Although to be fair, we have made life extra difficult for ourselves by getting it with two Freeview and two Satellite tuners, which complicates things.

I also have 2 satellite and 2 terrestrial tuners in my Extrend 10k but I just keep the EPG for each separate.

I personally find that now I have set up my Extrend the way I like the day to day use is fairly trivial.

Maybe if someone doesn't like or trust the Toppy running Mystuff they are not going to be too happy with an Enigma box. They will probably find it too complicated.

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Timers also have logs so you may be able to see what may be going wrong. In the timer section see if you have a timer for University Challenge and it is reported as being done. Highlight it and hit the info button on the remote - you should get a screen with a log of that timer function.
Ah - I knew about the log, but not that you could get more info using the info button.
Quote:

You don't really have to understand UNIX. It can help to be familiar with a few basic commands but not essential. What you may need more is an understanding of a FTP program (FTP = File transfer Protocol) but again once set-up with a few parameters its easy to use.

The box has a learning curve but not because its UNIX based but more because it is so configurable. The other thing to consider is that it isn't a Toppy and it doesn't run Mystuff. You need to get into a different mindset as other software writers have a different view on how things should work
Well yes and no. It has a Unix mindset in that, as you say, it's very configurable, but more that it's got a lot of contributed stuff so there's no central documentation, which means that finding information about settings (for the box and for add-ons) can be challenging.

I haven't (knowingly) used FTP with it at all. But I have tried (and failed) to find how to install certain add-ons because the instructions tend to assume you're familiar with how to find and install Unix software.
Quote:

I personally find that now I have set up my Extrend the way I like the day to day use is fairly trivial.

Maybe if someone doesn't like or trust the Toppy running Mystuff they are not going to be too happy with an Enigma box. They will probably find it too complicated.
I agree that it's definitely powerful, but it has some quirks and annoyances too. I'd love to find a way to make AutoTimes actually USE my default settings, for instance Smile.

goodolpete
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hi Alan.
Itís my wife who doesnít trust the toppy any more.
I worked in IT for 25 years, so ftp etc is no problem for me.
Still looking for an unboxing and setting up video though.
Pete

ô
alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:

I haven't (knowingly) used FTP with it at all. But I have tried (and failed) to find how to install certain add-ons because the instructions tend to assume you're familiar with how to find and install Unix software.

If you go via the plug-in menu
Menu - Plugins and press Green to download
Any plugin you select from there will be installed by the box.

If you just have a .ipk file

1) FTP to /tmp and transfer the file
2) Menu - Setup - VIX - Install local extension.
3) Select the IPK and press green to install.

The contents of the /tmp folder may be deleted on a boot-up.

You are correct in that the writers of a lot of plug-ins have given little or no documentation. However, all the necessary plug-ins required to run the box for Freeview or Freesat broadcasts are already inbuilt into the OpenVix image and/or get downloaded and installed automatically when the function is selected or a backup is run.

Which plugin or add-ons are you trying to install?

Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
Hi Alan.
Itís my wife who doesnít trust the toppy any more.
I worked in IT for 25 years, so ftp etc is no problem for me.
Still looking for an unboxing and setting up video though.
Pete

The closest you may find
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo3EU47ZCFs&feature=youtu.be
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDf8EM30gbc&feature=youtu.beand

A general view of the functionality of the OpenVix software
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUwpe2IO0c&feature=youtu.be
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWJ8qXt_ek&feature=youtu.be

Bear in mind
i) The videos are around 4 years old and contain some (minor) errors.
ii) The OpenVix software is still being actively developed but is stable and becoming more user friendly, especially for UK Freesat and UK Freeview viewing and configuration.
iii) The box being reviewed is no longer on sale. There are fair number of manufacturers making boxes that can run the common OpenVix software. These boxes have different hardware specs and prices that reflect this.
iv) You may not find a definitive set-up idiots guide
The setup will be different for terrestrial, satellite with a fixed dish, satellite with multiple LNBs, satellite with a motor driven dish , cable and for which country the equipment is being used.

See also
http://www.openvix.co.uk/
where you will find links to guides, manuals, screenshots etc. for the OpenVix software which can run on all of the Enigma 2 boxes.

ccs
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2397
I've a freeview only ET10k ViX box. I find it very easy to use.

I've never needed ftp, using windows explorer to access the box (infrequently).

The only plugin I've needed to download is one to manage a freeview usb tuner.

So everything is already there to use, with just a few cosmetic changes, perhaps.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
but it has some quirks and annoyances too. I'd love to find a way to make AutoTimes actually USE my default settings, for instance Smile.

Having set up the defaults

Menu -> Timers -> Autotimers -> Menu button again -> 7, Edit Timer defaults

these setting apply if you use the dedicated record button on the remote. For instance in the EPG highlight a program and press the record button on the remote. You will be given the option to either set a timer or an Autotimer. If you select Autotimer you will get NO more options and the default settings will be used. Bear in mind that you have only one default set of instructions so some of the parameter have to be modified automatically depending on time, date, channel etc.

If you use the alternative way of setting a Autotimer by highlighting the program and then pressing the blue button to "Add Autotimer" you get the additional configuration screens which you can edit at the same time as setting the timer. The first edit screen will modify times, dates, channels etc. but the options in the second screen broadly should still be the default setting, which you can then chose to modify.

The only default setting which may not have worked in older images was the Search strictness = case-insensitive search which always reverted back to case-sensitive. I reported this a month back and in the subsequent images it appears to have been fixed.

alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:

But you've probably had to set SAMBA or equivalent on your box and set a network parameter in Windows to see the box. Again, not that difficult with 5 minutes of Google research to find out the principles behind it.

ccs
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2397
alan_m wrote:
ccs wrote:

But you've probably had to set SAMBA or equivalent on your box and set a network parameter in Windows to see the box. Again, not that difficult with 5 minutes of Google research to find out the principles behind it.
Simply enabled Samba, no configuring to do, and the windows end worked straight away without doing anything.

ccsx