Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  General Discussion on Toppy Replacements

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
chris_s
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 406
I bought a Humax fvp-4000t for my elderly mother when her 9200 had a major crash (which I subsequently fixed): as usual, the underlying record/playback functionality is good, but the UI can be a real pain.

1) If you set it to record an HD program it marks that in the HD EPG, likewise an SD program is marked in the SD EPG. She might change to the SD EPG range to set up a recording on a channel which is not available in HD, and notice that a series that she thought she was recording is not showing as such (it is being recorded in HD), so sets it again, this time in SD. These recordings show up in different 'folders', which further confuses her - she plays an episode and thinks "I am sure that I have watched this one". I am sure there are many ways round this (I do not require suggestions, thank you): I have just got rid of all HD channels, as she only has a small TV anyway.

2) Select a 'folder' containing multiple recordings, and the default episode to play is the most recently recorded. To get to the oldest, one has to go left in the menu to highlight the dates of recording, page up (several times if there are more than a page worth of dates) then press OK to get the description to match the date (the description does not follow the selected date), then move right to display the 'Play' option. For my aged mother this process is onerous, and many a time she has forgoton to do it, just opted to 'Play', and been awfully confused because she has missed out several episodes.

There are other annoyances, but you get my drift.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
alan_m
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3472
chris_s wrote:

1) If you set it to record an HD program it marks that in the HD EPG, likewise an SD program is marked in the SD EPG. She might change to the SD EPG range to set up a recording on a channel which is not available in HD, and notice that a series that she thought she was recording is not showing as such (it is being recorded in HD), so sets it again, this time in SD. These recordings show up in different 'folders', which further confuses her - she plays an episode and thinks "I am sure that I have watched this one". I am sure there are many ways round this (I do not require suggestions, thank you): I have just got rid of all HD channels, as she only has a small TV anyway.

I'm sure this can happen on any box where the EPG is split into different sections such as SD programs and HD programs. On my Enigma 2 box the EPG can be user arranged in different ways and I prefer to have a single EPG with both HD and SD identified in the same list. On Satellite (Freesat) I tend to delete the SD version and on Terrestrial (Freeview) I tend to delete the HD version. This suits my AV amp where surround sound on Satellitte works well whereas the amp doesn't support too well the audio encoding method on HD Freeview, which is different to the satellite platform.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 254
gomezz wrote:
Personally if getting a replacement Freeview PVR today then the Fox-T2 would be top of my list running the third party modded firmware.

For online TV services such as iPlayer, NowTV etc I prefer to use my Android tablet with a Chromecast dongle rather than rely on the PVR manufacturer to offer continued support for the online services it offers.

Thanks, I have a Fox T2 in a box somewhere unless wife binned it!

Hadn't been using it as got a deal with BT You view but that's finished now so onto rip off pricing.

Only thing I benefitted from was BT Sport when time to watch it.

Sounds like the hunt for the T2 is on, any stand out benefits with the custom firmware, I just used it out the box when got it

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
Darucla
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1534 Location: Norwich
My own Fox T2 is waiting for some remedial action, but the major benefit for me of the CF (custom Firmware) is the Web Interface. This can be used to perform most actions on the box, and also to download programmes to a PC, for those that you may want to keep. there are many other features, and extra modules that can be loaded.

But, I wouldn't buy one now on the basis of the CF. It is nearing end of life, and the maintenance of the CF may suffer. If you already have the box, it's a no-brainer option.
cuthbert
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 77
My Toppy is still doing fine as it nears its 11th birthday (!), but a replacement will be needed sooner or later. Leaving Mystuff will be a wrench. It does an awful lot really well, without absorbing too much of your time. Finding a replacement with that good feature / learning curve ratio will be tricky.

I use Kodi running on a Pi for catchup and Youtube and happy to continue doing so. A ideal Toppy replacement would just handle the broadcast stuff. The Internet side changes so quickly that PVRs/DVDs/TVs and other "smart" consumer items can't keep up.

I recall picking up the Toppy from the local sorting office. In the excitement I was locked out of the car Embarassed, and had to taxi it home for spare keys, a 20 mile round trip, clutching my new parcel all the way.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/9/1

TF5800, WD TV Live, Keene IR, Harmony 600, Rockbox, Leak, Linux, Sheevaplug, Pi.
slimgym
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 102 Location: Essendon, Herts.
Are they stable, reliable and quick? I had an Enigma 1 machine and it was crashy, clunky, slow. Tried lots of images on it and never had much success. It was never reliable enough to be used seriously. You'd come back and find it hung, not recorded anything. I wasn't sure if it was the hardware or the images. It lives in the bottom of a cupboard somewhere now.

Nothing I have seen comes close to MyStuff, way ahead of its time and kudos to those who finely tuned it so well.

Unfortunately we had a lightning strike last week which seems to have goosed the USB port on my 5810 (though it fared better than the now totally dead laptop it was connected to).

I have a spare 5810 (and 5800) so no great shakes to get up and running again but clear time is running out to find a suitable replacement.

ccs
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2424
My ET10K enigma box has been 100% reliable for over 2 years, and supports all the features I ever used in MyStuff.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
My ET10K enigma box has been 100% reliable for over 2 years, and supports all the features I ever used in MyStuff.

My ET10K Enigma2 purchased Aug 2015 has been used daily and has been very reliable, apart from a few software/image problems that usually have been resolved within a day/week. My use of Mystuff is becoming a bit hazy now but I don't believe that I've missed any of Mystuff features on my Enigma 2 box. Some things are performed in a different manner but the results are broadly the same.

On my ET10K I tend to install a new image soon after it is released and sometimes the image has (minor) bugs. New Vix images are often released on a weekly basis. There is no real need to install a new image if the one you have is working for you. As the image is used on lots different boxes often the only differences between images are manufacture driver changes and bug fixes for the boxes new to the marketplace. The VIX image/software supports easy backup of the image and user settings and if a problem with a new image is experienced reverting to an older image is a 5 minute exercise and few button presses.

The 3 year old Miraclebox is still working reliably and in daily use using a 1.5 year old image.

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2009 Posts: 102 Location: Essendon, Herts.
Excellent news, thank you both! I quite liked the look of the UI of some of them, in particular the Sky+ skins. Plenty of videos of them on YouTube which is good to be able to see how quick they are and how they are used.

The lack of CRID for series linking and accurate record is a pain. One of the strengths of MS for me was the chain recording whereas the more clunky sets will report a clash and lose one or the other.

Though I guess if you get one with four tuners that would be much less likely.

ccs
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2424
I use what are called autotimers to manage series links.

I've never had any bother with them, they just record series of programmes as I would expect.

The more tuners the better as far as I'm concerned, it adds to the cost, but reduces the chances of clashes.

nb. If you only have one tuner, then recording consecutive programs on 2 different mux's will be flagged as a clash.
When the 1st programme has finished, tuning into the 2nd mux takes more than zero seconds, hence the clash.

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 692
So how do the boxes manage series searches, or MS's power searches. Those are the things I use most! I've got loads (? too many) on my Toppy.

Can you offload HD recordings off these boxes? I've got a library of Toppy recordings off the box, but they're all SD of course

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
alan_m
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
So how do the boxes manage series searches, or MS's power searches. Those are the things I use most! I've got loads (? too many) on my Toppy.

Can you offload HD recordings off these boxes? I've got a library of Toppy recordings off the box, but they're all SD of course

For re-occurring programs you use an autotimer

The following web page shows the number of parameters that can be user configured for the auto-timer search. Note, this is from the box's web interface but the same can be configured from the menu that appears when the "Add autotimer" button is pressed after selecting the program in the EPG. All the settings have user configured default values so for new timers you may only have to change a few parameters

http://admac.myzen.co.uk/pvr_timer/

edit - what you see when adding an Autotimer search on the box/TV

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/vix_timer/

You can load programs recorded on a Toppy to these boxes (there are utilities on this site to first remove the toppy .rec headers and/or extract meta data)

All the boxes are networked via wired Ethernet (minimum 10/100M and 1G on some boxes) or wi-fi, which may require a wi-fi usb dongle. You can transfer SD and HD programs recorded on the Enigma box to your PC via the network connection. You can play (stream) live and recorded programs to a PC, tablet or mobile phone.
You can use the box to record to a networked drive.

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 692
Thanks for those answers and the screenshots. Good news about the SD/HD files - all my Rec files are backed up daily, so I could use them fairly easily.

The searches seem very much like basic MS searches, so have no knowledge of series or alternative showings, though I guess with enough tuners that matters much less. Does it have a text search option? I use that on MS to find programs with particular people in, or for a particular subject. For instance, using text search I found a series of programmes about Monty Python recently, including their "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" show

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
alan_m
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
Thanks for those answers and the screenshots. Good news about the SD/HD files - all my Rec files are backed up daily, so I could use them fairly easily.

The searches seem very much like basic MS searches, so have no knowledge of series or alternative showings, though I guess with enough tuners that matters much less. Does it have a text search option? I use that on MS to find programs with particular people in, or for a particular subject. For instance, using text search I found a series of programmes about Monty Python recently, including their "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" show

In that case you could have set an autotimer search for:
Match Title = Monty Python,
Search type = Partial match

This would find any program with Monty Python in the title in the current or FUTURE EPG. You could restrict the search to only certain channels, to certain days, to certain time blocks or you can include/exclude certain words in the title or short description.

In the EPG there is an EPG search facility. In the EPG highlight a program and select search and you will get a list of all occurrences of that program on all tuners/bouquets[1]. From there select "New Search" and you get an easy to use text entry box where you could enter, say, "news" which will then search for "news" in the 7 day EPG in all bouquet.

Example
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/epg_search/

Notes:
From the resulting list you can highlight a program and add a one off or a repeating timer.

To the right of the list is a scroll bar with the white blob indicating how much of the list is currently being displayed on the TV. For this example there are hundreds of 'news' programs in the 7 day EPG for both Freesat and Freeview. (I have both satellite and terrestrial tuners).

Highlight a program and you get the short description.

All screen shots are from the box's inbuilt web interface facility

The IMDb Search at the bottom of one of the screen-shots takes you to the IMDb web page(s) if your box is networked by way of your home router. The IMDb web page gives a star rating, cast list and short descriptions of films. In the EPG or search list highlight the name of a film and select IMDb search and you get an indication if the film is worth watching. Made for TV films are not necessarily in the data base.

[1] Bouquet = a list of channels which can be user defined. I have my favourites Freesat bouquet and favourites Freeview bouquet. You could have bouquets that only contained sports channels, only contained news channels etc.

Searching for, say, an actor only in the program description may be a problem but there are third party programs for the PC that can manipulate EPGs and timers which may be able to do this. I don't use these programs myself.