Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  General Discussion on Toppy Replacements

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Bizman
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1700
bugbear wrote:
I'm guessing my Topfield has about 2 years MAX use ahead of it.
It will be useable until at least 2022, so a good 5 years.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3413
bugbear wrote:

The Whole Miraclebox/Enigma/Vix morass makes Toppy+myStuff look the epitome of simplicity though.

Once you get used to Enigma2 boxes and OpenVix it's on a par with Toppy and Mystuff. Like most boxes, once set-up you will find that you only use a hand-full of common functions via the remote.

Many long term users of the Toppy went through a learning curve manually applying bug fixes and combinations of TAPs to get improved functionality.

For UK Freesat or Freeview an OpenVix image (software) includes _everything_ you need to receive and record the channels on those platforms.

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
leshay wrote:

Some of the Cons: harder to get to grips with the sofware, doesn't support the use of CRD data for easy series linking (the Toppy does that), instead, has it's own series linking which I have always had issues with (some others do not have these issues).

Although I've not had too many problems with Autotimers (aka a method for series linking functionality) I did encounter a problem which turned out to be my lack of understanding of how the filters worked.

See all of the thread
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57163-Auto-timer-problem-(not-obeying-filters)&highlight=BBC+One+filters

I wonder from this if you are setting one too many filters?

My problem was I wanted to record something on BBC One HD from Freesat (satellite) and not BBC One HD on Freeview (terrestrial), and with no repeats. What I ended up with was a recording on BBC One SD and another on BBC Two HD

What I didn't realise at the time was the box takes no notice of the BBC One HD label.

It uniquely identifies BBC One HD on satellite as 1:0:19:1B1D:802:2:11A0000:0:0:0

and

uniquely identifies BBC One HD on Terrestrial as 1:0:19:4484:4083:233A:EEEE0000:0:0:0

Similarly all other channels on Freesat/freeview are uniquely identified irrespective of having common channel labels on the 2 platforms.

By selecting the filter for BBC One HD from the satellite EPG the box knows it only has to record from a single satellite channel. There is no need to set a filter to only select the satellite Bouquet (Freesat channel list/EPG) to exclude the Freeview version. I was setting this latter filter in addition to the first. As I was now checking the whole satellite channel list for the program to be recorded it first found it on BBC One SD. The simultaneous transmission on BBC One HD was deemed to be a repeat and excluded from the timers. The recording on BBC two HD was the repeat of the previous weeks episode which hadn't been recorded before.

By disabling the second filter the box recorded the correct version of the program

Last edited by alan_m on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total

Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
Although I've not had too many problems with Autotimers (aka a method for series linking functionality) I did encounter a problem which turned out to be my lack of understanding of how the filters worked.

See all of the thread
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57163-Auto-timer-problem-(not-obeying-filters)&highlight=BBC+One+filters
By selecting the filter for BBC One HD from the satellite EPG the box knows it only has to record from a single satellite channel. There is no need to set a filter to only select the satellite Bouquet (Freesat channel list/EPG) to exclude the Freeview version. I was setting this latter filter in addition to the first. As I was now checking the whole satellite channel list for the program to be recorded it first found it on BBC One SD. The simultaneous transmission on BBC One HD was deemed to be a repeat and excluded from the timers. The recording on BBC two HD was the repeat of the previous weeks episode which hadn't been recorded before.

Well you're way ahead of us. We have the same setup (2 Satellite, 2 Freeview tuners on an Xtrend 8500) and can't work out how to get the box to
a) get Freeview HD, and
b) to consider BBC 1 on Satellite to be equivalent to BBC 1 on Freeview for the purposes of recording.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:

Well you're way ahead of us. We have the same setup (2 Satellite, 2 Freeview tuners on an Xtrend 8500) and can't work out how to get the box to
a) get Freeview HD, and

[edit]
Some major edits 5th Aug 7:50
[/edit]

Do you mean that you are getting no Terrestrial HD channels at all?

Check in Setup/Tuner Config/Tuner Setup/ the terrestrial tuners are set for DVB-T2 and not DVB-T (this latter option may not be available).

My settings (image 1)
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/E2_scan/

Note: I have set the region to UK all regions (Europe DVB-T/T2) and NOT a specific UK region/transmitter

If using an older image try first
Setup/Tuner Config/AutoBouquetsMaker/Update config files

Success or not with the update .... then

In Setup/Tuner Config/AutoBouquetsMaker/Providers

My settings for both Freesat and Freeview. Freeview from Bluebell Hill
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/E2_scan/
(image 2)
I only have a single Bouquet for Freeview - I don't split it into various sections and it contains both HD and SD channels.

I've later constructed a Freeview favourites bouquet in the web interface with both HD and SD channel.

Have you set a separate sectional bouquet for the HD channels? In Setup/EPG/Graphical EPG/Show Bouquets on launch = yes. This will dispaly all your Bouquets on selecting the EPG.

If after this you are still missing Freeview HD channels see end of post

Quote:

b) to consider BBC 1 on Satellite to be equivalent to BBC 1 on Freeview for the purposes of recording.

Possibly.....
Set up a autotimer to record BBC 1 on satellite

then

Menu/timers/autotimers/
Click on a timer to modify it. Keep scrolling down until you get the second page
Select restrict to specific services and press the blue button

Enable service restriction = enable
Editing = channels
Record on -- this will show BBC 1 (it will be satellite as that is what you selected when you set it up)

Press Blue (new entry)
It will now give you the option to select a Bouquet which you will select as the Freeview version and the channel name BBC1.

Press green to save and AGAIN press green to save

The editing of this second channel can be done at the same time as setting it up the autotimer in the first place.

The box will now look for the program on BBC1 satellite OR BBC1 terrestrial. The priority of which it chooses is possibly set in
Menu/Setup/Tuner Config/Settings/Alternative services tuner priority which can be set to
Satellite - Cable - Terrestrial
Satellite - Terrestrial - Cable
Terrestrial - Satellite - Cable
etc. etc.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/E2_scan/ image 3 Note that the first menu option is set to "expert" which allows access to more configuration parameters. For someone with a single tuner the "simple" mode may be adequate but for us with multiple tuners across various platforms more set-up is required.

On the same (menu) screen there is often a hint/description on what the individual menu option does. In some cases this can be somewhat cryptic

No HD.
Is the transmitter listed in second post in
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42301-ABM-(UK-Terrestrail-)-Add-regions-HD-channels

If not the developers may want a bit of your help configuring AutoBouquetMaker (ABM) for your transmitter. If unsure what to do just post to that thread.
From memory, when I did Bluebell Hill I followed some easy instructions, did a scan and posted a file from the box back to the forum. A few hours later I was given a file to manually put back on the box. The next Vix image contained the same updated information.

If all else fails just post to the VIX forum asking how you can get the HD on UK Freeview from transmitter XYZ using AutoBouquetMaker (ABM). Say that you haven't got a problem with SD channels. Don't forget to tell the forum which box you have and which version of VIX you are using [Menu/Information/About/Image] The latest version is 5.0.023.

ccs
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2379
@juwlz

Autobouquetmaker on ViX knows about the Hannington freeview transmitter.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
@juwlz

It's not on the list on the thread linked above

a) The list may be out of date

b) The configuration details for the Hannington transmitter may not be fully populated. From memory, I think that Bluebell Hill was lacking HD channels in a ABM scan before I provided the files back to the Vix team.

ccs
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
ccs wrote:
@juwlz

b) The configuration details for the Hannington transmitter may not be fully populated. From memory, I think that Bluebell Hill was lacking HD channels in a ABM scan before I provided the files back to the Vix team.
Hannington Is an option in ABM/providers, and is also referenced on GitHub.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoBouquetsMaker/blob/2fcdbc4be6ae6d6b3cdf1a42fff8817de370b807/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers/terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Thanks guys.
(Hannington is listed in that thread.)

I'll have a look at all this when I've got some time to spare in front of the machine.

I too prefer to just have a single EPG, although at the moment (since I've been trying to get to grips with which channels are which), I have one Freeview EPG and one (default) FreeSat EPG, and I bring up the list to switch between them by using the TV button.

I've gone for HD channels (where available) as 1,2,3,4,5, ... (BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD, ITV 1 HD, ...), with the regional channels at the end of the EPG, so I can just easily arrow UP in the EPG to get from BBC 1 HD at the top to BBC 1 South at the bottom when regional programmes come on, and back "down" to the HD channels afterwards. I don't want the clutter of seeing the HD/SD versions all together in the EPG.

I am using ABM, and then delete the myriad of useless (to me) topic based EPGs (Films, Sports, etc.), and also clearing out the other unwanted channels from the all-inclusive ones.

On the subject of Bouquets, is there a way (including using the web interface) of deleting all the empty placeholder channels in a bouquet without doing it one by one?

And is there a way to copy/duplicate a bouquet, and/or merge two bouquets together to create a new one (e.g. to merge my existing FreeSat EPG with my existing FreeView one to just get the channels I want)?

I get three sources shown for my channels (in the Bouquet Editor in the webapp). From memory, these are BSkyB, FreeSat and Unknown (which is where the Freeview channels seem to be). It seems that some FreeSat channels are in the BSkyB list, and others are in the FreeSat list, but I can't find any info about how these two differ.

Actually, we're going off topic again here, so perhaps should split off into a different thread.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Thanks guys.
(Hannington is listed in that thread.)

I too prefer to just have a single EPG, although at the moment (since I've been trying to get to grips with which channels are which), I have one Freeview EPG and one (default) FreeSat EPG, and I bring up the list to switch between them by using the TV button.

I have two favourite EPGs , one for Freesat and one for Freeview. What I meant by one EPG/Bouquet is that I don't allow the box to automatically break them down to sub-sections of news, entertainment, HD etc.

When I press the EPG button I first get the Bouquet list from which I select either my Freeview or Freesat favourites. The Bouquet list also has the ABM generated All Freesat, All Freeview and Last scanned but these have been arranged to be at the bottom of the list using the Bouquet editor in the web interface to drag/drop the order displayed.

The Bouquet list is the same as you get pressing the TV button but in my case is enabled by
Menu/Setup/EPG/Settings/Graphical EPG/Show Bouquets on launch = yes

Quote:

I've gone for HD channels (where available) as 1,2,3,4,5, ... (BBC 1 HD, BBC 2 HD, ITV 1 HD, ...), with the regional channels at the end of the EPG, so I can just easily arrow UP in the EPG to get from BBC 1 HD at the top to BBC 1 South at the bottom when regional programmes come on, and back "down" to the HD channels afterwards. I don't want the clutter of seeing the HD/SD versions all together in the EPG.

I tend to use satellite (Freesat) as my preferred viewing platform so in that EPG where there is both a HD and SD broadcast option I just have the HD option. I then arrange the channels in a kind if logical order BBC1.BBC2, BBC4, ITV1, ITV2 etc. but with channels I watch most often slotted in towards the top of the list.

Quote:

I am using ABM, and then delete the myriad of useless (to me) topic based EPGs (Films, Sports, etc.), and also clearing out the other unwanted channels from the all-inclusive ones.

In ABM if you say no to "generate sections bouquets" and "generate HD bouquets" you will still get all of the SD and HD channels but they will not be under section headings. Also in ABM there is a menu item to "hide sections" where you have the choice to exclude, say Adult, Shopping, 4K etc. If you have both satellite and terrestrial some the list is repeated for each platform so you have to tick both instances.
If you have children hiding adult channels alone may not quite do what you want
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57536-How-to-hide-adult-channels&highlight=hide

Quote:

On the subject of Bouquets, is there a way (including using the web interface) of deleting all the empty placeholder channels in a bouquet without doing it one by one?

I haven't found a way BUT I don't care too much about the All channels Bouquets and just leave them alone. In any case a ABM rescan will bring back all the junk and empty place holders. I have ABM set to automatically rescan once a day if the box is on. In the Bouquet editor in the web interface I've created my own Freesat and Freeview favourites bouquets which only contain the channels I want to watch and don't include any junk/placeholders on the rescan.

Quote:

And is there a way to copy/duplicate a bouquet, and/or merge two bouquets together to create a new one (e.g. to merge my existing FreeSat EPG with my existing FreeView one to just get the channels I want)?

[Edit]

Go to the Bouquet editor in the web Interface
Create a new Bouquet say called "test"
Select this Bouquet - it will have no content
From the Unknown - Freeview list select BBC1 HD and add it to the Bouquet
From the BskyB - Freesat list select BBC1 HD and add it to Bouquet

In the bouquet editor you can move the test bouquet by picking it up and moving it to the top of the list in the same way as you can reorder the channellist

Quit the web interface and on you box select the "test" Bouquet it will contain both versions of BBC 1 HD

I don't know how to change the name to identify which one is which as they are both labelled BBC1 HD

You need to ask on the VIX forum.
[/edit]

Quote:

I get three sources shown for my channels (in the Bouquet Editor in the webapp). From memory, these are BSkyB, FreeSat and Unknown (which is where the Freeview channels seem to be). It seems that some FreeSat channels are in the BSkyB list, and others are in the FreeSat list, but I can't find any info about how these two differ.

The Freesat is only a EPG and very little to do with where the signals originate. The actual satellite signals are free to air and are the exactly the same as sky from the same cluster of satellites. I believe that until Sky changed something recently these boxes could be used legally for Sky and so the inclusion of a BskyB source of signals was/is sensible. The BskyB labelled list may include both free to air and encrypted signals.

The unknown for the Freeview list is probably just a throw back to the origins of the box. These boxes were historically international satellite boxes and it seems that only relatively recently the software was modified for UK terrestrial. The Freeview functionality is down to the hard work from a few software developers working in their own time - similar to the Mystuff/Toppy bug fix customer development. These boxes are not branded Freeview or Freesat, just Free to Air but they just so happen to now have most of the Freeview/Freesat functionality (no interactive services apart from being able to use the BBC red button channel as a normal TV channel, with an EPG).

alan_m
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
alan_m wrote:
ccs wrote:
@juwlz

Hannington Is an option in ABM/providers, and is also referenced on GitHub.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/AutoBouquetsMaker/blob/2fcdbc4be6ae6d6b3cdf1a42fff8817de370b807/AutoBouquetsMaker/providers/terrestrial_uk_freeview.xml

All transmitters are listed in that file but from line 75 onward the transmitters listed under "customtransponders" only seem to contain the transmitters where users have returned information. This is the list in POST #2 in
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42301-ABM-(UK-Terrestrail-)-Add-regions-HD-channels
Hanington is not in the customtransponders list

I don't know what the significance of this is. Hanington in ABM may be correctly configured for HD by default or it may have missing MUX or other configuration. It's just worth considering that if the tuners are correctly configured and the region is correctly configured in ABM (and the aerial type can receive the MUX frequencies) and there is no HD being detected then it may be a missing configuration. The ongoing request in that thread is for users of the transmitter to provide some information from their box so that the developers can check or fix it which, from my experience, can be very quick.

ccs
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:

All transmitters are listed in that file but from line 75 onward the transmitters listed under "customtransponders" only seem to contain the transmitters where users have returned information. This is the list in POST #2 in
Hanington is not in the customtransponders list

I don't know what the significance of this is. Hanington in ABM may be correctly configured for HD by default or it may have missing MUX or other configuration. It's just worth considering that if the tuners are correctly configured and the region is correctly configured in ABM (and the aerial type can receive the MUX frequencies) and there is no HD being detected then it may be a missing configuration. The ongoing request in that thread is for users of the transmitter to provide some information from their box so that the developers can check or fix it which, from my experience, can be very quick.

Not sure all transmitters are mentioned as there are over 1100 in total.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:

Not sure all transmitters are mentioned as there are over 1100 in total.

Possibly not the local relay transmitters that only cover small areas of dead reception from the main transmitters but the list probably covers all the main full coverage transmitters Smile

https://ukfree.tv/maps/freeview

GJM
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 254
andyfras wrote:
As on-demand channels are important to you, you might be better going for a Humax, unless you enjoy a challenge:

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/fvp-4000t-500gb-mocha-1.html

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/fvp-4000t-1tb-cappuccino-1-1.html

The Humax interface is not as good as MyStuff, but it's usable.

With these Humax boxes linked above, is there a great deal of difference in comparison to the likes of the Humax HDR-Fox T2.

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
gomezz
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3963 Location: Buckingham
Personally if getting a replacement Freeview PVR today then the Fox-T2 would be top of my list running the third party modded firmware.

For online TV services such as iPlayer, NowTV etc I prefer to use my Android tablet with a Chromecast dongle rather than rely on the PVR manufacturer to offer continued support for the online services it offers.