Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Just Re-scanned my 5800 and the programme guides are wrong

Page 1 of 1
ngc1967
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jul 2006 Posts: 138
I have just re-scanned my TF5800 as there was a message saying that there were new channels available.

I have done this but now when I go up and down the channels, the information box at the bottom shows all the wrong information. It doesn't seem to change either (i.e. it's been saying the same information for that particular channel for the last few days) and a few of them just show a mixture of jumbled characters.

As well as that, the Programme Guide doesn't show the latest programme - it is about 2 hours behind.

Can someone help me as it has been a long while since I played around with it and I can't remember what to do.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10810 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Did you do a native scan? If so,
a) you needed to do a Factory reset first, and
b) it's not the best way to do it by far - you're likely to end up with duplicate channels and a general mess.

You're much better off using either TopManager on a connected PC, or Channel Organiser to do an intelligent scan from just one transmitter.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
tg1947
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
I have seen exactly the same symptoms as described since rescanning my TF5810 in the past few days. factory reset does not fix the problem. It would seem that something external to the Toppy has changed to cause this problem.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
You need to be more specific about which channels are affected - lots of channels were shuffled during the reorganization and this isn't reflected in the list contained in Freeview.dat (which hasn't been updated for many months)

This is compounded by the fact that the old channels are still being broadcast (well they were a couple of days ago). Unusually, instead of using TM to update both my toppies, this time I used Channel Organiser so I can't vouch for how TM is handling this change (it uses a different mechanism to CO). Suggest you use CO to remove all the unwanted channels (see above link for details of the shuffle)

My EPG doesn't display incorrect info for the programmes i.e. it is not "about 2 hours behind". You could use TM (or the MyStuff options) to delete/rebuild the EPG file (it may still contain info from before the rescan)

Please post a MyInfo Log to show your current line up.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
Bizman
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
After midday (or thereabouts) on Wednesday, the old channels having the 'retune' messages will be removed which will simplify the line-up.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
@ngc1967 and tg1947

I suspect that you both performed a factory reset using the native toppy menu before rescanning (again with the toppy menus). As well as deleting the existing channels, the factory reset sets several settings back to their default values. In particular, I suspect it has turned off British Summer Time (BST). This would explain why programmes are about 2 hours behind (1 hour for BST + another hour if you check the guide near the end of an hour programme). Garbage in the descriptions is probably an indication that you are receiving signals from more than one transmitter (when deleting duplicates, you have chosen to keep a channel with a low quality signal rather than the best ).

Assuming the above scenario is correct, you need to enter the native System menu and change the Time Setting to "Auto".
You also need to then perform a retune using my TopManager/PcControl mechanism and/or the Channel Organiser tap (and CO must be version b2.1 - not b1.something)

It is been said many times before on this forum (and not just by me) that you should only ever retune the toppy by using TM or CO because any other way is almost certainly going to lead to problems. These perform an automatic reset (preserving existing settings) and scan single transmitters (this minimises duplicate channels). They also remember channels that you have deleted so that deletion is much easier on a future rescan. TM and CO share the same data files so channels deleted by one method will also be honoured by the other method.

Neither of you have a recent/valid forum signal so I'm also guessing that your toppies are not up to date in terms of taps etc (and more probably, you don't use taps because you don't understand them and/or want to keep the original functionality). If this is the case then it is a wonder that you have managed to keep the toppy running so long. You really need taps and patches to make it work properly now that there are 200 odd channels cf the few channels when the toppy was first sold in 2003.

You may find the Channel Organiser tap in \ProgramFiles\Utilities (check b2.1). If not, you will need to load it on the toppy (which may cause you issues loading an unsigned driver if you are now using Windows 10 - google this site for how to get the drivers to work). You can install TopManager from my signature below.

My guess is that neither of you are using MyStuff and possibly don't want to. Either way, my recommendation is that you do a full install of MyStuff (accepting all options). The installer (windows only) is fully automated and, as well as installing MyStuff, also installs several other patches and taps (including CO) that are essential. Should you subsequently decide that you don't like MyStuff (it can seem daunting on first use), you just need to remove the MyStuff.tap file from the \ProgramFiles\Auto Start folder e.g. you can delete this file, rename it to .pat (say) or move it to the top level folder (deletion and moving can be done with the toppy native menus).

Please post your MyInfo logs after you have implemented the above i.e.
1) selected Auto for the clock
2) Performed MyStuff install (and optionally "hidden" the tap)
3) Performed a rescan with Channel Organiser and/or TM
Note: You can use the TopManager| Display option to retrieve the MyInfo Log for posting.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
tg1947
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks for all the information. However, once the duplicated channels were removed on Wednesday, everything returned to normal without any need to rescan.

BST had not been reset and was still set to Auto.

I can only pick up signals from Crystal Palace which is directly in sight about 4 miles away. The Toppy has been working continuously since I purchased it in November 2009 and I hadn't seen this type of problem before.