<  Computer connections  ~  TopManager V5.0

Page 36 of 36
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
TopTapper
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 208
Geoff Bacon wrote:
The problem is caused because you have no printers installed [...]

Just had a quick look under Win10. You'll also see the error if the print spooler service isn't running. Startup type is usually set to 'Automatic' under the service properties, so it's running all the time. If not; https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-fix-the-system-error-code-1722-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable-error
laurelgate
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought today I would do some maintenance on the toppy. Turns out this was a bad idea!

I normally use TopManager to take a snapshot, check out disk stats and re-tune. The PC running TopManager is an old XP box I access over the LAN (remote desktop). Unfortunately the old box decided to call it a day (motherboard problem and it's not worth the time/cost to fix).

No problem I thought - I have another old machine sitting around so I popped in an old drive, loaded a clean Win XP SP3, set it up on the LAN and loaded USB drivers and TopManager (new install) and connected it up. This connected first go and all running (or so I thought).

When I came to re-tune, using PcControl, the existing list of channels is displayed along with an error message "List index out of bounds (2)".

I didn't like the look of this, so stopped at this stage and did a quick search on here but couldn't find anything so posting here hopefully for some advice.

As a test, I copied the TopManager folder from the old drive but still gives the same result. I'm guessing it's data related but not sure how to check what's going wrong.

Are there any logs I can check?

Cheers

Paul

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3934
No idea I'm afraid and, without being able to replicate it, I've no idea where to start looking

It may be down to the recent reorganisation of freeview. Suggest you use the ChannelOrganiser tap to rescan/delete channels. Please note that both CO and TM use a file called Freeview.dat to determine info about channels and this hasn't been modified for some time (and is totally unaware of the reorganization). Having retuned/deleted channels, I suspect PcControl will then work (well it is worked on my system).

Note: several channels have been shuffled so you will need make sure you are using the new channel numbers.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
laurelgate
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for responding.

After more investigation, I'm not sure it's the reorganisation.

Interestingly, I've managed to get the old machine to boot (but unfortunately it's not stable). However the error does not occur on this machine.

On the new machine, the same error also occurs if trying to select from the muxes dropdown on the channel management screen and also on the PcControl/Display/PcC Info page (right after displaying the results). So I'm guessing something to do with the transmitter list.

As it's working on my old kit (which unfortunately won't stay up long enough for me to use it for the channel scan Sad ), the toppy must be ok and it has to be setup/config on the new machine...

I've already copied the install directory (program files/topmanager) across with no joy. Do you store any other config/settings/temporary files anywhere (perhaps in \documents & Settings)? Or do you have any software/install dependencies other than vanilla XP SP3?

All the best and thanks for the time.

Cheers

Paul

laurelgate
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I've found your working directory on the old machine;

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\gbacon\TopManager

After copying this over to the new machine I'm now error free.

Probably take a bit more digging to work out the offending file, but I'm now off to try a rescan. <cross fingers>.

Cheers

Paul

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3934
I believe that that is the only folder

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16