Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Humax Youview T10x0

Page 1 of 1
andyfras
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3388
I've just successfully fixed one of these which was stuck in standby.

It turned out to be the same poor quality Sam Young capacitors that were used in the early Toppies. The difference is that the capacitors are on the mainboard, not the PSU. In this model, and several other models in the current Humax line-up, the PSU just supplies 12V (from either an internal or external PSU). All of the other voltages are derived on the mainboard.

There are 10 x 220uF 16V through-hole capacitors, all of which were significantly out of specification. I initially used some 330uF (as used in the 5810 PSU), but this extra capacitance prevented it from starting. Once I replaced them all with the right value, it all burst into life again.

If anyone would like a repair kit, I can provide one (or a repair of course).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
mstombs
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 934
My first trial one failed within a year and was replaced by Humax free of charge. I didn't look inside but it smelt of overheating electronics... I wonder if that was bad caps?
pete77
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 159 Location: Nottingham
As an original YouView trallist, I've had my Humax box now for, I think, 3.5 years or so. By and large it has performed very well, apart from odd lock ups which I'm pretty sure are down to the software, although it does seem to report a low signal at the time, and usually needs a re-tune.

As a previous Toppy user from 2005, I'm familiar with andyfras' services, having had caps replaced in the past. Apart from smelly electronics, what are the symptoms of impending doom with these Humax boxes?

Pete (sorry, sig out of date as I haven't been on the forum for a while, although I still read it most days).

andyfras
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
pete77 wrote:
Apart from smelly electronics, what are the symptoms of impending doom with these Humax boxes?

I don't know what previous symptoms this box had before getting to me, and it probably depends on what order the capacitors start to fail. I have seen various problems reported, such as occasionally being unable to find the disk, recording problems, and disk corruption.

There seems to be lots of online advice suggesting a box reset and/or a disk reformat, but any recovery seems to be short-lived, as might be expected if it's really a capacitor problem.

juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10798 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Hmm. Our Youview box has been dead for quite some time. It doesn't get much use (and was a freebie for the process they laughingly called beta testing), so haven't bothered investigating, but I guess that might need a trip to "Uncle Andy" too then! Rolling Eyes

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
gomezz
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3960 Location: Buckingham
My trial box failed after a couple of years, the BT subscription box failed after a year, the one the BT installer came out to replace it with failed out of the box. So by happy chance the installer swapped in one of the newer T20x0 boxes he had in his van which is a lot, lot better.

pete77
Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Jan 2006 Posts: 159 Location: Nottingham
Looks like I've been fairly lucky then. One thing our box absolutely refuses to do is to upgrade to the latest firmware, which may resolve some of the problems described above.

I've tried everything recommended on the forums apart from the option that deletes the recordings. If I did that, it would be more a case of "Call the Paramedics" rather than "Call the Midwife" !

SteveOC
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Hello Andy.

You may recall that I emailed you about this a long while ago,

Since I never got around to taking the box apart to get back to you about the 10 caps I needed, I left the box unused...........until a week or so ago.

I opened the box, saw that the 10 caps were all the same and that I had some here so I proceeded to try to remove the caps.

However, the 12W soldering iron I used to repair my Toppy with the caps you provided does not seem to be able to flow the solder on this YV box.

Do I need a more powerful iron (18W, 25W etc) for some reason?

My iron may need a new tip but does seem to be able to flow both the different new solder types I have, just seems to only flow the surface of the solder holding the existing caps in place.

Steve O.

Last edited by SteveOC on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

andyfras
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I've got a 50W temperaure controlled iron. The problem is that the Humax circuit board is double-sided so it sinks the heat from the iron. Also, the solder used is lead-free which melts at a higher temperature. It helps to put on fresh leaded solder, then try to melt both joints simultaneously while removing each capacitor. The holes can be cleared using a sucker or desolder braid.

SteveOC
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Andy - all screwfix can offer is a 40W - only 8 and five minutes from me but I was concerned about it being too much for the PCB.

I will try and pick one up tomorrow.

The desolder braid I have isn't that great - it came from RS.
The stuff I had from you was great, but I can't find it (if there was any left).

I have a couple of threads open on the YV forum which I will update - are you posting on there?

Steve O.

andyfras
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
SteveOC wrote:
all screwfix can offer is a 40W - only 8 and five minutes from me but I was concerned about it being too much for the PCB.

It may be, as it won't be temperature controlled. This one looks good value:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d01843/soldering-station-48w/dp/SD01696

Quote:
The desolder braid I have isn't that great - it came from RS.
The stuff I had from you was great, but I can't find it (if there was any left).

This is what I use:

http://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/200004355/soldamop-green-1-5mm-x-1-5m/dp/SD00663

Quote:
I have a couple of threads open on the YV forum which I will update - are you posting on there?

No, but I'm on the Humax forum:

https://myhumax.org/forum/

mstombs
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 934
Toppy has missed a couple of recording recently, so I thought I would use the Humax trial Youview for iplayer - and it is stuck in standby, and pretty warm... so looks like I will be following the links and contacting Andy ....

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/dtr-t10x0-successful-repair

Nothing on board has obviously let out the magic smoke.

I was surprised to see a fan on the back of the hard drive, not sure I have ever heard this operate, and it doesn't look like it has turned much - no distinctive dust build up on leading edges.

[edit] With help from an old solderer with professional tools and skill to remove old caps, box now revived. I used Rubycon 16YXF220MY0811 cpc order code CA00167.

I used a microscope to check when solder new, I only soldered from bottom, not sure if supposed to solder from top as well, not all holes fully soldered. NB not all caps have polarity marked on board - take photos before to refer to.

I'm not sure domestic tools would be good enough to remove old caps - but if you try there is the optional destructive technique pliers/mole grips to crush cans and then solder to old legs!

The old caps were all +10% on capacitance 240-250uF, new ones all -5% 210-215uF. They are supposed to be +/- 20% spec. I didn't manage to locate a good ESR meter, but on one bridge old caps all 2-4 times (0.8-1.6 ohms) more than new (0.4 ohms). Most telling probably was that a component tester initially recognized one of the caps as a resistor not a capacitor.

Box still needed a visit to maintenance mode to reset firmware but no recordings lost. http://videos.youview.com/support/maintenance_mode.pdf Before cap change usually couldn't get anything on screen, occasionally first boot screen but I'm sure no buttons ever worked....
kippermanbike
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
My first trial one failed within a year and was replaced by Humax free of charge. I didn't look inside but it smelt of overheating electronics... I wonder if that was bad caps?

Right, my box seems to have packed up. No power on box. Only lights are the Ethernet lights. Checked the PSU, and I get 12V. So having read on here and other sites, thatthe capacitors are suspect on the main board, I have gone and changed them all. But still nothing.... Anyone got any ideas? Or do I need to throw this box into landfill? Any other components I should be checking? (Nothing looks untoward, no blackening of any part of the board...)
andyfras
Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Did you just change the 220uF capacitors? I've also found a couple of 10uF surface mount ones fail too. Having said that, my success rate on fixing this model is about 50%.