Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Recovery of data on an external Toppy backup drive

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 682
Only loosely Toppy-related, but I've been backing up almost everything (using Antares in a CMD file) off my Toppy onto a Buffalo 2Tb external drive for several years. I also used it as a repository for old series and films so that I could move them back onto the Toppy when wanted, but it was getting very full. I took it to my desktop to move the films onto a separate external drive, as the desktop has a bit more horsepower than a 10-year-old Vista laptop.

I set it off yesterday evening using Teracopy, and it said it would take 6 hours. This morning it was hung with an error. When I tried to look at the 2Tb disk, the desktop hung for several minutes and the disk made "unusual" sounds while trying to start. I eventually rebooted the desktop, but the error persisted, and the drive even beeped at me for the first time ever.

I've ordered a new drive and I did get some of the films off the drive during the copy, but everything else is currently inaccessible - maybe I should have backed up my backup Rolling Eyes Does anyone know of any tools to access "dodgy" external drives? Or would I be better to extract the disk from the container and try to access it directly using SATA cables?

Any help or thoughts gratefully accepted.

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3961
Try loading the manufacturer's diagnostic and see what it says.

Try loading GSmartControl and see if it can access the drive (if it can, you will be able to see the SMART attributes giving you an idea of the health of the disk.

From your description, it sounds as though the disk has had it - but I could be wrong.

Should you manage to get it working, try backing it up in small chunks e.g. everything starting with the letter A. Repeat for letter B etc. While this will involve many operations, you might be able to retrieve some of the recordings.

Good luck

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that.

The Buffalo website isn't particularly forthcoming with support, but I'll look for some diagnostics. And I'll have a look at GSmartControl. If all else fails, I'll take it apart and try connecting it with the same cables I use with the Toppy disk.

Good point about small chucks.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3961
I doubt that Buffolo are making their own disks so you can just use diagnostics by the disk manufacturer (the label on the disk should show you which one)

GSmartControl will also tell you the make of the disk

There are free tools (google) for recovering data from a windows disk but I suspect these won't be much use (it sounds like yours has a hardware issue rather than just corruption)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
Darucla
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1533 Location: Norwich
My experience with external hard drives in their own cases has been that the case electronics (power supply and USB/SATA bridge) will expire first in 90% of situations. Taking the bare drive out is then likely to be successful.

My other observation has been that moving the cased drive around at all is not a good idea. So I tend to get bare drives and install them into PCs or NAS devices which are fixed in place.
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
When I connect the USB cable to th drive, I can hear it spin up as normal, and then it "chuinters" a few times, repeating a whirr, click, buzz sequence a few times before it stops. Occasionally when I try, it makes slightly different sounds before the casing beeps. I didn't know they put speakers in these! I can't run any diagnostics on it, as it won't mount. I guess my next job is to take it apart, but not today, I'm afraid.

The drive has been sitting next to the TV for over a year. It initially worked fine when I moved it next to the desktop, but it might have been one move too far... Crying or Very sad

MikB
Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 282 Location: West Midlands
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
When I connect the USB cable to th drive, I can hear it spin up as normal, and then it "chuinters" a few times, repeating a whirr, click, buzz sequence a few times before it stops. Occasionally when I try, it makes slightly different sounds before the casing beeps. I didn't know they put speakers in these!

At a guess: They don't put speakers in. The beep is the drive mechanics. Some hard drives make a beeping noise by shaking the heads at audio frequencies to signal problems. I had trouble with a brand new (knackered) IBM drive like this, trying to return it "because it keeps beeping" was met with "BIOS blah blah how many beeps?". No. The DRIVE is beeping. Not the PC Smile

I would also caution that the power supply may be crapping out on you, so first thing is to plug the drive (bare drive) into a free power socket on a PC and listen to it spin up. If it spins up and whirs and clacks and beeps, the drive is in trouble.

I've had two separate external USB drives go wonky (one seriously corrupting and bad-sectoring the drive) - both due to failing power supplies. I've had a third go a bit uncommunicative (network based) for the same reason -- but the PSU was repairable and no damage evident as it was caught early.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Just catching up after getting back from holiday.

Thanks for the warning - I'll have a play with it next week once I've worked out how to open the case. I guess it must clip together as there aren't any screws visible. Time to start wiggling a screwdriver into the various openings to see if I can pry it apart...