Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Signal and turner 1 weaker

Page 1 of 1
kevsterci
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 225
Hi

I have recently upgraded my aerial to a decent one (not a tin foil contract one that came with the house in 1976) still loft mounted but with decent CT100 cable too.

I'm local to Dandy Heath, 12 miles and have it pointed at it spot on.

This got me checking signal and channels on all 3 of my topipes

I connected each one in turn to the new aerial, average signal as follows

One topfield (I call number 3) is perfect 100% signal 100% quailty on both tuners on all Muxs

The other two vary

1)

Tuner 1 - 72% signal 100% quailty
Tuner 2 - 100% signal 100% quailty

2)

Tuner 1 - 96% signal 100% quailty
Tuner 2 - 100% signal 100% quailty

If I swap the coax link around it still get the same. Curious as to why on both of these Tuner 1 has weaker levels?

Thanks

TF5800, No.1 250GB, No.2 160GB , No.3 160GB , No.4 500GB , Plus No.5 TF5810 500GB TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 –Sy MyStuff 6.6 on all ;TAPs on ALL: EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
It is the quality value that is important - and that is 100% on all so you can't improve on it.
The strengths are fine and some of the difference may be down to the sensitivity of the individual tuners and /or the tuner types
A toppy with 100% strength could mean that the quality degrades because the signal is too strong (yours seems ok).

I'm assuming that all measurements were made at the same point in the house i.e. same cabling.

If you are using the cshort able to jumper the tuners then this would account for a difference in strength between tuners on the same toppy.

Typically tuner 1 has the highest strength - check that the aerial in is going into the top right connector (when looking from the front; for some functions, tuner 1 seems to be more important than tuner 2 - but I can't remember why). Use the short cable from the bottom right to the top of the other tuner.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
mstombs
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
I recall the second tuner can have higher signal due to the Toppy amplifying before sending out the short link cable. I'm sure mine not symmetric - have experimented to find best combination. Must be installation dependent - they wouldn't have provided the ability to feed each independently from external powered splitter if one connection was always good enough! The short link cable has also been known to fail - gets kinked?
kevsterci
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
It is the quality value that is important - and that is 100% on all so you can't improve on it.
The strengths are fine and some of the difference may be down to the sensitivity of the individual tuners and /or the tuner types
A toppy with 100% strength could mean that the quality degrades because the signal is too strong (yours seems ok).

I'm assuming that all measurements were made at the same point in the house i.e. same cabling.

If you are using the cshort able to jumper the tuners then this would account for a difference in strength between tuners on the same toppy.

Typically tuner 1 has the highest strength - check that the aerial in is going into the top right connector (when looking from the front; for some functions, tuner 1 seems to be more important than tuner 2 - but I can't remember why). Use the short cable from the bottom right to the top of the other tuner.

Geoff

Generally good news then. Considering I had under 95% quailty to start with it was a good move.

Actually tested in two locations. The best and worst with a short run of cable (they sit next to each other) The other much longer run.

Short jumper cables used correctly and look ok, although i didn't swap these.

However if swap the jumper cable/input so tuner two is first then I get exactly the same results. This points towards the actual individual tuner.

You say IF I'm using a jumper, what's the other option, split before?

TF5800, No.1 250GB, No.2 160GB , No.3 160GB , No.4 500GB , Plus No.5 TF5810 500GB TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 –Sy MyStuff 6.6 on all ;TAPs on ALL: EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
Sorry, jumper isn't really the correct term; I meant the short coax cable provided when you bought the toppy.

You could use a Y shaped coaxial splitter to provide separate inputs into the two tuners. However, this would result in the strength of the signal strength being reduced along both legs.

The other option is that you use a powered amplifier, usually in the loft, which is fed from the aerial and has 6/8 output connections. This would allow 2 cables to be run to each toppy (one to each tuner).

The easiest solution is a single cable to each toppy with a short cable joining the tuners (I believe the toppy amplifies/cleans the signal coming out of the tuner - which might explain why the "2nd" tuner has more strength).

Should you get problems, try replacing the small coax cable (some are of dubious quality). You don't have to use one of the same length - just neater if you can.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
kevsterci
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Sorry, jumper isn't really the correct term; I meant the short coax cable provided when you bought the toppy.

You could use a Y shaped coaxial splitter to provide separate inputs into the two tuners. However, this would result in the strength of the signal strength being reduced along both legs.

The other option is that you use a powered amplifier, usually in the loft, which is fed from the aerial and has 6/8 output connections. This would allow 2 cables to be run to each toppy (one to each tuner).

The easiest solution is a single cable to each toppy with a short cable joining the tuners (I believe the toppy amplifies/cleans the signal coming out of the tuner - which might explain why the "2nd" tuner has more strength).

Should you get problems, try replacing the small coax cable (some are of dubious quality). You don't have to use one of the same length - just neater if you can.

Geoff

If the input goes in to either tuner one or two and gives the same result I can't see splitting it making any difference, as you say only making it worse by reducing the signal.

Dont want to go the route of an amplifier because it will be too strong and then I'll have to use a attenuator. The short coax must be fine because tuner twos are ok.

Just trying to get to the bottom of the difference of the three different toppy on tuner one. I understand that it may improve the output of tuner one in to tuner two but when one of the toppys is perfect on tuner one and two that doesn't compute.

As we've said it shouldn't give any issues because they all show brilliant quailty of signal.

If you want to know anymore about aerials and associated see here. Takes a lot of reading but he knows his stuff!

http://aerialsandtv.com

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 682
Don't forget that too strong a signal can also give rise to problems. But as GB says, if you've got 100% quality, you've not got a problem...

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer