Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  General Discussion on Toppy Replacements

Page 1 of 1
MattRyde
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi,
I fear our toppy 5800 is getting unreliable and am starting to consider a replacement. My wife tends to focus on recording TV and has got very used to the my stuff features etc.
My aging brain is beginning to hurt trying to filter data from some of the threads.
We only have freeview and i wonder if there is a simple list somewhere, in plain human, that can guide us towards a replacement. We had about a hundred hours of recorded tv so something that can easily allow us to do that would be great.
Do any of the boxes provide access to on demand like iplayer and five alive or whatever it's called? (wasn't that from a film?)
Also, apologies for the barrage of questions, is there a recommended supplier. I have tried a couple of times to call 'World of Satellite' but just get an answer phone that could be someones home?

Thanks in advance

Matt
leshay
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 382
MattRyde wrote:
Hi,
I fear our toppy 5800 is getting unreliable and am starting to consider a replacement. My wife tends to focus on recording TV and has got very used to the my stuff features etc.
My aging brain is beginning to hurt trying to filter data from some of the threads.
We only have freeview and i wonder if there is a simple list somewhere, in plain human, that can guide us towards a replacement. We had about a hundred hours of recorded tv so something that can easily allow us to do that would be great.
Do any of the boxes provide access to on demand like iplayer and five alive or whatever it's called? (wasn't that from a film?)
Also, apologies for the barrage of questions, is there a recommended supplier. I have tried a couple of times to call 'World of Satellite' but just get an answer phone that could be someones home?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Hi
It can be a bit daunting. Here is a link to prove that
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers

There are so many boxes available, from single tuner to multi tuner,with many combination of HDD size (the amount of hours recording),and a variety of costs.

I would doubt that there is a leader in the field as the boxes have so much in common.

In your position. Decide if you want to only ever use terrestrial, or would you want to use satellite in the future (if you have an old Sky dish, it can be used for free satellite without any re-positioning)
Once you have decided that then the next thing is to decide if you want to record 2/3/4 channels simultaneously - that would help in deciding how many tuners you need. Tuners aren't particularly expensive, and if you need to record more than one programme at the same time then more tuners are better than 1.
Next,choose a HDD size, higher is better and again, cost for a larger HDD is minimal.

Most (if not all) of the boxes are offered with one of several sofware packages (these are mostly free and can be changed if needed - I use a package called VIX - one of the common ones). The choice you make at time of purchase doesn't tie you into one package.

Next, a word of warning: the sofware is not very similar to My Stuff on the Toppy. It offers a lot more and doesn't have some of the My Stuff features.

Some of the Pros: easy networking for moving/copying recordings and for sofware updates/changing. High Definition channels/recording.

Some of the Cons: harder to get to grips with the sofware, doesn't support the use of CRD data for easy series linking (the Toppy does that), instead, has it's own series linking which I have always had issues with (some others do not have these issues).

Although the sofware team do try, my opinion is that the software team are constantly fixing one thing and breaking something else. To date, I have never had a version that doesn't have a few thing not working/broken, varying from minor gliches to major problems. The saving grace is that there is always a newer version coming along that may fix some of the issues and introducing other gliches.

Having said that, many of the mainstream offerings have their own issues so nothing new there.

I am using a GigaBlue Quad Plus, and have no gripes about the box itself.

Here is a link to the VIX forum (hosted by World of Satellite) if you want to browse it.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?298-ViX-Team-Images-Support-Discussion[/url]

andyfras
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3383
As on-demand channels are important to you, you might be better going for a Humax, unless you enjoy a challenge:

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/fvp-4000t-500gb-mocha-1.html

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/fvp-4000t-1tb-cappuccino-1-1.html

The Humax interface is not as good as MyStuff, but it's usable.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3920
A Now TV box (14.99) will let you catch up using the BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and Demand 5 apps as well as watching live freeview (but you won't be able to record it on your toppy).

Note: You don't have to keep buying TV passes for the freeview/catchup services (well not on the one I lent to my son - and I haven't had it back yet!)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10791 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
... or a Fire TV stick for catchup TV (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, My5, BBC Sport, BBC News, etc.), plus Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, TuneIN and others. 40, and VERY portable if you want to take it away with you when you travel.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
shenson
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 564
I was hoping to use a catch up service instead of a recorder for my parents. Unfortunately not all the freeview channels are covered. Challenge is not and UKTV (Drama, Dave etc) are missing from some. Subtitles are also lacking on many channels (iPlayer is one of the few that supports them).

juwlz
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10791 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
There's an app (for FireTV and other devices) for that: UK TV Play for Dave etc., although I confess I've never seen or heard of the Challenge channel, and if there's an app for that, I haven't been able to find it. However, having looked at their website, they don't appear to have a catch up service anyway, so it doesn't matter what hardware you have, your only options will be live or recorded.

I can't comment about subtitles, but I'd expect the standard Android versions of all the FireTV apps to be equivalent, if you want to experiment before purchase. (Or, of course, it's easy to just return stuff to Amazon if it doesn't do the job you want it to do.)

Julie

Bizman
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1680
juwlz wrote:
I confess I've never seen or heard of the Challenge channel

It's on LCN46 and shows mostly historical game shows. You are not missing anything.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
TopTapper
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 207
Bizman wrote:
It's on LCN46 and shows mostly historical game shows. You are not missing anything.

Hey, Bullseye and Blankety Blank - assuming the late, great Les Dawson - are classic! Smile
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
juwlz wrote:
I confess I've never seen or heard of the Challenge channel

In that case, I struggle to see the need for a Catchup service for it Laughing

Darucla
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1527 Location: Norwich
Challenge is also the UK home for the original Japanese version of Ninja Warrior. Which is so much better than other countries' efforts that it is not even funny. Must be reasonably popular, because the English voice over on the first 20 seasons has been redubbed since the original was caught up in the wake of the Jimmy Saville revelations. You can find a lot of these with original Japanese commentary on Vimeo and Youtube though.

Actually, the only thing I watch on off-air TV these days is F1. i don't like soaps, or reality TV, and most of what's left has little appeal. Except movies.
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Jut a thought: everything from http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=271114#271114 onwards really should be in a separate post, since it's about Toppy replacements in general, rather than the specific Migration To Enigma2 PVRs.

Can the mods split it off into a new post with a more appropriate title?

Edit: Now done. Thanks Hyde.

Julie

MattRyde
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the pointers Smile