Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Rf output.

Page 1 of 1
Livy
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
Does the toppy output the signal from the 2nd scart via the rf output when the 2nd scart is active? or continue to output whats on the toppy?

edit: also where can you get something like the sky magic eye system for other devices?

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
EMJB
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
Livy wrote:
Does the toppy output the signal from the 2nd scart via the rf output when the 2nd scart is active? or continue to output whats on the toppy?

Both SCARTS & the RF output the same picture, complete with all menus, warnings, PiP, and any EPG's etc you call up.
Livy
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 584 Location: Fife, Scotland
what i meant was the looped through signal from another device, eg dvd player. does it output that signal via the rf output when the 2nd device is selected?

my guess is no but im not sure.

• Connected via Buffalo Linkstation Live 2TB
AllanG
Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 459 Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Your guess is correct.

The Toppy passes any SCART input out through its SCART output only. The RF feed passes on the RF input with the Toppy's own internal RF channel added.

(I'll stop now before this post starts reading like the script from a Danny Kaye movie!) Laughing

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/12/10
davidbarton
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 May 2006 Posts: 163
The pellet with the poison's in the chalice from the Palace.
The flagon with the dragon has the brew which is true

Anyroadup, the Toppy doesn't take a video input from the SCART (it might be nice if it did ...) so it can't output it to the RF.

It's the vessel with the pestle.
rfdell
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
"Anyroadup, the Toppy doesn't take a video input from the SCART (it might be nice if it did ...) so it can't output it to the RF."

If I understand what you mean, this is incorrect. On switching to A/V IN (button 4 on the remote, as described in the manual) a signal from SCART 2 (A/V IN) is passed to both SCART 1 and RF OUT, with text information added.

I have a question on RF passthrough. I want output from Sky and Toppy to go round the house, so my RF goes from the aerial, through Sky and Toppy in series, and then to a splitter/amplifier for distribution. In this arrangement, whether Sky first or Toppy first, all analogue terrestrial channels (i.e. 1-5) are awful, i.e. almost unreadable. I previously had Sky and a VCR in series with no problem.

I have the Toppy wired:
Aerial -> ANT1 IN
RF LOOP OUT 1 -> ANT2 IN
RF LOOP OUT 2 -> RF IN
RF OUT -> Sky box

On another forum, I was advised that the Toppy does not do RF passthrough, but cannot understand why it works fine on its own, but will not work with a Sky box in series. Whatever is happening here, and can anyone suggest a workaround?
kenfowler3966
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Oct 2006 Posts: 113
The rf doesn't need to go through the sky box as it does not need the signal. Use the rf out only and connect to the rf cable with a splitter after it has gone through the topy, this will reduce the number of devices it goes through. If possible send the sky rf signal through its own cable to the amplifier directly.
kenfowler3966
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
The other possibility is that the frequency of the rf out from both toppy and sky are too close and intefering, in which case change one of them in the setup.
rfdell
Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:25 am Reply with quote
Thank you for your suggestions, Ken.

The trouble with bypassing the Sky box is that if someone wants to watch Sky elsewhere in the house, say while setting up a recording on the Toppy, they have to go to the one room that has the SCART TV. Either that, or keep changing RF leads at the back of the boxes.

Stations 1-5 are on channels 55, 62, 59, 65 and 48, Sky 68, Toppy 36. I have tried changing the RF out channels on both with no effect. It is not interference, it is a 90% block. Being technically minded, I find it very frustrating not understanding what is going on. I cannot even understand how a fault could do this. If Toppy has no passthrough, then 1-5 should not get through at all, but they do.

I have a workaround. Split the aerial and feed one branch to the Toppy ANT1 IN (with RF loop out to ANT2 IN), and another to the Sky box. Feed the Sky RF out to Toppy RF IN, and Toppy RF OUT to the TV distribution. I found it necessary to change Sky RF out from channel 68 (which was poor) to a lower one (I chose 31). All RF channels (1-5, Sky, Toppy) are now satisfactory.

The Toppy manual is very poor in this regard.
kenfowler3966
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I suggested connecting the sky rf out with a splitter after the toppy or straight to the amplifier. This will send the sky rf signal around the house. The aerial does not need to go into the rf in on the sky box as it does not use the signal, and is only there for conveniience in wiring.
The splitter can be plugged into the rf out on the toppy and connect the sky rf out to this
Paladin
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2006 Posts: 99 Location: Lichfield
Monumental thread resurrection I know....

But I wanted to ask the same question as the original poster here. However, after reading this thread I'm still not sure of the answer. First responder says yes (but maybe not quite getting the question), next two say definitely not, then another vote for yes but with a complete thread derailment thrown in.

So, to the original question (is the input to the vcr scart output through the rf out?) can someone give me a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
ccs
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2360
Paladin wrote:
Is the input to the vcr scart output through the rf out?

Is this some kind of riddle?

ccsx
Paladin
Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Paladin wrote:
Is the input to the vcr scart output through the rf out?

Is this some kind of riddle?

Well, it is to me! Confused

I know that the toppy will pass through the signal from a DVD player (for instance) attached to the secondary scart if the satellite button is pressed on the remote control. At least it will pass that signal through to the primary scart socket. I am not sure if it will pass that signal through the rf out socket and cannot test this right now. I was hoping someone had a definitive answer, but this old thread does not quite seem to provide it.

Ta,
Steve.
Frank Haemorrhage
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Nov 2008 Posts: 69
I have just tested this, so here is my definitive answer. Yes.

The input from the VCR Scart does indeed get output through the RF Out.

I got an old portable CRT telly from the attic and plugged it into the Toppy's RF Out with coax cable. Then tuned the analogue receiver to 36 to get a picture from the Toppy. Once set up, pressing the Satellite button on the remote control toggles between the Toppy's picture and the external source (i.e. DVD player). I had to set the VCR Scart Type setting to External A/V in the Toppy menu (maybe external device dependent), but otherwise it works.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; PruneEPG 1.0; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; MHEG On/Off A3; MyStuff 6.6
Paladin
Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Frank Haemorrhage wrote:
I have just tested this, so here is my definitive answer. Yes.

The input from the VCR Scart does indeed get output through the RF Out.

I got an old portable CRT telly from the attic and plugged it into the Toppy's RF Out with coax cable. Then tuned the analogue receiver to 36 to get a picture from the Toppy. Once set up, pressing the Satellite button on the remote control toggles between the Toppy's picture and the external source (i.e. DVD player). I had to set the VCR Scart Type setting to External A/V in the Toppy menu (maybe external device dependent), but otherwise it works.

Brilliant, thanks for your efforts!