Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  My Windows has stopped working.

Page 1 of 1
Bizman
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1671
It gets as far as connecting to the internet, but the active desktop appears to be inactive. Sometimes I can get the task monitor to run. If I do it early enough it will show tasks as normal, but goes into 'not responding' mode if I subsequently try to launch any other program. At this point the shut-down program is unable to shut down anything, and even a forced shut-down fails to close all, leaving the power off button as the only remaining option.

I can boot into Safe mode with networking:
Then I do have e-mail, spreadsheets, Word, Win Explorer & use of internet, but
No McAfee so no A/V or firewall
No USB, hence no HDD, no printer & no back-up of files to Memory stick
No power monitor so battery condition unknown,
No audio (which I seldom use)
I can't while away the time with Solitaire or Minesweeper, but non-MS games continue to work ok.

I have gone back to previous restore points and after rebooting, this seemed to do the trick - for a short while, although the 'while' has now got so short as to be unusable. I can usually sort all sorts of PC problems, but this one has got me. Sad

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
ccs
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2360
Windows goes into "repair mode" if it stops unexpectedly in quick succession.

Not sure how to force repair mode, but pressing shift + Restart gives you lots of options.

ccsx
leshay
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 381
Hi
If it is Windows 10, then you can access a set of Recovery options by putting 'reset' into the search box (Cortana?) and from there you can do a complete reset (one allows to keep your data files).
I can't vouch for this as I haven't used it - I have done a full 'factory reset' on my tablet and that went well and downloaded and installed a new OS.
One thing, of course, is that these options can result in losing data/applications so a backup is essential before starting.

Bizman
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
As my profile says, it's Win7 starter edition. I have been unable to do a recent back-up while this problem exists. I think I will try yet another restore point and if Windows will work long enough, do an immediate file back-up. In a couple of hours it is due to run a scheduled system backup & set a restore point, so I will have a quick play again.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
ccs
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2360
leshay wrote:
Hi
If it is Windows 10, then you can access a set of Recovery options by putting 'reset' into the search box (Cortana?) and from there you can do a complete reset (one allows to keep your data files).
I can't vouch for this as I haven't used it - I have done a full 'factory reset' on my tablet and that went well and downloaded and installed a new OS.
One thing, of course, is that these options can result in losing data/applications so a backup is essential before starting.
.... and if it's got any addons eg sony/Toshiba, they'll probably disappear as well.

ccsx
mstombs
Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 929
start->"search box"->msconfig

Allows you to create a boot mode between normal and safe mode as a selective startup. Hopefully you can find which service or startup app is the problem.
Bizman
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
After posting the problem on here things started to work ok again (as if by magic?) so I backed up my data and set another restore point. All seemed well again apart from being a big sluggish. However, the problem hadn't gone away and recurred later the next day.
Last night there was yet another Windows update after which it is still working 'normally'. I am not convinced that my virus scanner is working as I would expect to see more disk activity than indicated and an actual figure for % completed. It simply says 'undefined%'.
I will try the msconfig approach as my suspicions point to McAfee or Firefox as the problem. All help gratefully received.

buzz
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Over the years, I've seen PCs crippled by McAfee "gone wrong". If you like it then fine, but it needs to work. IF you have the ability to re-install it (media or download), then I would consider a full removal, which will need a reboot to complete. I'm not suggesting you use the PC for any time without protection, but if you need to make some use of it, then perhaps install MS Security Essentials until finished testing.
Of course, if the PC behaves 100% without McAfee, then you re-install it, there is no guarantee of the symptoms recurring, as a fresh install of McAfee may 'fix' the problem.

Good luck!
Neil
Bizman
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, buzz, you have just confirmed what I was beginning to think. McAfee's diagnostic tools were a bit of a pig, I got one of three working and it reported nothing wrong. The McAfee stuff came pre-installed on my netbook and it has been ok up until recently. My subscription has 3 month still to run giving me time to find a relacement.

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 661
Windows now has Defender built in, or as a download option for earlier versions...

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer