Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Vaguely interesting response to a power glitch?

Page 1 of 1
chris_s
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 401
I regularly record 'Not Going Out' and 'Tracey Ullman's Show' and, being consecutive, MyStuff chains them together. resulting in a single .rec file with a title relating to NGO.

We suffered a very short power break (a cut-over) during the opening credits of TUS, but the Toppy appeared to soldier on.

The vaguely interesting outcome of this was two separate, correctly titled, .rec files, filed in their correct folders: furthermore, the files each have headers containing the correct programme information.

I suspect this was the native Toppy manfully completing its 'long' recording and MyStuff clearing up afterwards when it encountered an extra file. What surprises me is that the native Toppy was able to cleanly close the NGO recording.

It also begs the question of whether this behaviour could be deliberately initiated via the API, for example on receipt of the accurate bookmark between the two pseudo recordings.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
ccs
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2352
... this is one of the nice things about OpenVix, consecutive programmes on the same channel are treated as 2 totally separate recordings,
each with their own pre and post padding, so there's no need for any merging.
So there is a period of about 8 minutes when 2 recordings are actually running.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10771 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
chris_s wrote:
It also begs the question of whether this behaviour could be deliberately initiated via the API, for example on receipt of the accurate bookmark between the two pseudo recordings.
In theory, yes it could. In practice it won't happen, because
a) BobD was never interested in the huge amount of extra work involved in manually handling all that stuff, preferring to let the firmware deal with handling which tuner gets used for any given timer, and
b) BobD doesn't even have the MyStuff development tools installed on his PC any more

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
albertd
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 508
juwlz wrote:
b) BobD doesn't even have the MyStuff development tools installed on his PC any more
So presumably that means that MS will receive no further updates?
BobD
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4211 Location: Nottingham
albertd wrote:
So presumably that means that MS will receive no further updates?
Yeah, probably not. With the rise of so many other ways to watch, and catch up on, TV and the lack of any HD provision for the Toppy, it just really doesn't seem to be worth the effort. The target audience is declining (even on the MS Team itself!), and so the demand for new versions is less and less.

MS currently does pretty much everything that I would want it to do (and of which it/the Toppy are capable) that there doesn't even seem to me anything that I could think of adding as a new feature that would justify the round of coding and beta testing required for a new release.

Whilst of course there are bugs, there aren't any (that I am aware of) that would be considered significant enough for an update either.

So although it is not impossible that there will be updates (installing the development tools is not very hard), I really can't see sufficient need (or even interest) to warrant the massive investment of time, and so it is very unlikely.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
mstombs
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 924
Big thanks for all the work over the years - but do tell what platform next will get the tlc - OpenVix? Not sure how long Toppy will be able to receive broadcast TV, hope my full hard-disk will extend for a few more years! You can lead we will all follow!