Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  How can I trigger an EPG refresh?

Page 1 of 1
jof
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know if there's any way of triggering an EPG refresh (OTA UK Freeview).

It seems the only way that my EPG gets populated is when coming out of standby.
When the gaps start appearing, I usually enter/exit standby to refresh it. That's not always convenient - e.g. a recording's in progress.
But there must be a better way - a patch to trigger the same populating standby-to-on does would be great.

Or is my only option something like eit2mei? Seems overkill for my needs.

I'm running standard firmware with some pathches and TAPs (no MS) - see sig.

ccs
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2323
The minimum number of taps you need are:

EPG2MEI,SecCache ,EITSub and PruneEPG.

Not an overkill.

I'm surprised you don't have more problems.

An uptodate version of the MyInfo tap would tell us which patches might be missing.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3864
There isn't a way to cause a refresh except by rebooting (MyStuff users do have a mechanism to delete EPG files but that takes about 25 mins to repopulate.

Your signature is way out of date (possibly implying that you haven't updated for sometime) and that you aren't using MyStuff.

My gut feel is that you have too many channels and this is causing EPG packets to be discarded when the allocated buffer overflows (leaving holes).

My recommendation, assuming you have a windows pc, is that you use the MyStuff Installer to upgrade the toppy (Say yes to all options).

Having updated the toppy, post a copy of your MyInfo Log.txt (this will show your current config and allow specific comments on what you should do. Note, if you are on Win 10 then there may be some hoops to jump through - search for advice on how to install the WinUSB drivers (part of Antares) on Win10 ( there are also other posts on how to use Antares drivers on other windows pcs).

Note: you need working drivers anyway to modify anything on the disk so, unless you have an old pc still configured e.g. XP, you will need to get the drivers working anyway.

If you don't have a windows pc the please say so (you will require someone with Mac experience)

One of the things that the MS installer does is install a new version of MSInfo, ChannelOrganiser (or deleting channels - don't attempt to to do it manually with the remote or R2-D2's tap).
It also installs my PruneEPG tap which automatically discards any EPG for channels that you have deleted (doing this prevents the EPG table overflowing - assuming you have a reasonable number of channels).

Note: if at the end, you decide you don't want to use MySuff, you can just rename /ProgramFiles/Auto Start/MyStuff.tap to /ProgramFiles/ - this will restore you previous means of running

To help you manage the toppy, you could install TopManager (windows only)- this has many functions including displaying the MsInfo Log (which you can copy and paste into this thread, channel scanning/deleting. updating your forum signature, offering advice on issues with way the toppy is configured etc.

Apologies for the long response, it is a long time since I had to reply to a post on this subject and I have forgotten the links that would point you in the correct direction

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
juwlz
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10749 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Your signature is way out of date (possibly implying that you haven't updated for sometime) and that you aren't using MyStuff.

My gut feel is that you have too many channels and this is causing EPG packets to be discarded when the allocated buffer overflows (leaving holes).

My recommendation, assuming you have a windows pc, is that you use the MyStuff Installer to upgrade the toppy (Say yes to all options).
jof said in the original post that (s)he doesn't use MyStuff, so using the MyStuff installer may well interfere with the patches that are appropriate for jof's setup if the option to update firmware is taken.

QuickJump and MyInfo will be fine, but I don't know about the others - UK Subtitle, Timer Extend, and Macro V1.2 beta2. There are certainly some TAPs that are incompatible with the standard patches installed by MyStuff (even if you don't include the MyStuff specific ones).

However, that is certainly the easiest way to install the other TAPs (as per ccs's post) that are necessary for the smooth running of a Toppy these days. MyStuff can then be removed from Auto Start.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10749 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
jof wrote:
I'd like to know if there's any way of triggering an EPG refresh (OTA UK Freeview).

It seems the only way that my EPG gets populated is when coming out of standby

To keep a Toppy running smoothly, it's advisable to put it in standby at least once per day (i.e. overnight), so if you do, your EPG would get populated daily anyway even if it only happened on startup - give or take the fact that without EPG2MEI and PruneEPG, it may not be able to hold all the data for all of the EPG.

In general terms, the native EPG will always be kept more-or-less up to date, but the Toppy was never designed to cope with the number of channels available today, and, as you have found, will fail to do so effectively without the aforementioned TAPs.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012