Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Scart to HDMI converter - any sensibly priced good ones?

Page 1 of 1
scoobydooby
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2005 Posts: 518 Location: Broadstone,Dorset (Rowridge IOW Transmitter)
Hi, as per the subject line, I'm looking for a Scart to HDMI converter, sadly I don't use the Toppy for much now but I'm not quite ready to retire it.

I've bought myself a new AV amp that switches HDMI (my old one was so old that it was composite switching only) & I'm looking to connect the Toppy 5800 into the amp so that the video & audio switching is done with a one button press.

The amp can take a component in & I could use the optical out of the toppy so I could connect up this way if I purchase the right YUV lead https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wentronic-51305-GB-1-0m-SCART-Plug-RCA-Video-Cable/dp/B000L0X63C

Do any of the Scart to HDMI adapters upscale from the RGB from a Scart? or do they only upscale from the composite feed (which I know will look terrible).

Worst case scenario is that I just leave the toppy connected directly as scart to the TV & the audio as Toslink via the amp & select the inputs respectively, I was just after the niceness of switching between my 5 AV devices with a single button press on the amp without spending a fortune.

Thanks in advance

Tony

gomezz
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3954 Location: Buckingham
You could treat yourself to a Logitech Harmony universal remote control that when you switch to the Watch Toppy activity tells the TV to switch to its SCART input and the AV amp to switch to its TOSLink input.

Laser
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 421
Quote:
Worst case scenario is that I just leave the toppy connected directly as scart to the TV & the audio as Toslink via the amp & select the inputs respectively,

That's how I have mine, it seems far better than when I tried the component route.

The remote that came with my AVR is actually flexible enough to also do the switching of the TV itself, although I have been using a Harmony instead for years now.

The risk of using the HDMI adapter is that it won't get the 16:9 / 4:3 switching right.

scoobydooby
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2005 Posts: 518 Location: Broadstone,Dorset (Rowridge IOW Transmitter)
Thanks Gomezz & Laser for replying,

I had a rummage & found an old Scart plug & some phono leads, with the help of a pinout from this site I soldered the leads to the RGB/YUV Scart output pins & connected it up to the Amp, colours weren't good & then I read about the Vy patch & that has improved things somewhat.

The PQ isn't quite as sharp as Scart connected directly to the TV but is completely watchable, this could be due to my cheap phono leads, I've ordered a Hama ready made cable which is hopefully the right way around (Scart out to RGB/YuV & not Scart in from RGB/YuV)

Even though I'm not following my original idea of using a Scart to HDMI converter I still get the ability of being able to switch between my AV devices with a one-button press on my AV-R so I'm happy with the outcome - even if the new lead doesn't improve the slight loss of sharpness I've got compared to Scart-Scart on TV.

Tony

andyfras
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3349
I can supply a suitably wired scart to Component + Audio (5 x RCA), to connect a Toppy to a TV Component input for 9 inc. postage. Note that the ones on eBay are the other way around - i.e. RCA component device to Scart TV.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
scoobydooby
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
I can supply a suitably wired scart to Component + Audio (5 x RCA), to connect a Toppy to a TV Component input for 9 inc. postage. Note that the ones on eBay are the other way around - i.e. RCA component device to Scart TV.

Hi Andy, I'll bear that in mind thank-you.

I've already ordered the below as the title specifically says "Scart to RGB/YUV"(I don't need audio as that is going via TosLINK).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hama-Home-Theatre-3m-Scart-to-3-Phono-RGB-YUV-AV-Lead-/330680042025?hash=item4cfe110229:g:zyAAAOxyRNJSeRit

The worst case tho is that I cut off the leads & solder them to my Scart socket replacing my very cheap leads, is yours an adapter requiring leads or a ready made up cable?

Tony

andyfras
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3349
scoobydooby wrote:
...is yours an adapter requiring leads or a ready made up cable?

It's a complete cable about 1.5m long.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ