Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Vodafone Broadband

Page 1 of 1
Darucla
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1526 Location: Norwich
I have been with Tiscali/TalkTalk for a long time, mainly through inertia, but also because the service has mainly just worked and been a reasonable price.

However, lately I have been experiencing service outages, mainly late at night, but still annoying. Now I am having problems accessing the website (down for maintenance) to read mail and the mail service via my mail reader is asking for account details, which I may well have forgotten.

So I am considering changing to Vodafone, which would be cheaper for a similar speed. My question is: has anyone used their new "No phone line charge" fibre broadband, and is it any good? IE, reliable, doesn't get choked at prime time etc.

Cheers.
juwlz
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10771 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I can't help you with Vodaphone - although it wouldn't have been the first provider I'd have thought of, given how poor the value for money on their cellular service is, in terms of amount of amount of data per pound.

We switched from Tiscali to PlusNet a good few years ago now. Of course, it's difficult to compare services, as you only ever have one at a time Wink

If PlusNet looks good to you, we can get a discount on our service if you quote our email address Laughing - which I can provide privately.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Darucla
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1526 Location: Norwich
Vodafone looks the cheapest, although not as cheap as "No Line Rental" would imply. I so rarely use the home phone, that I kind of resent paying for it, largely because I am very stingy. And Plusnet is part of BT, so I have a feud with going back to the prehistoric ages. And I am concerned about bandwidth throttling at peak times.

But i shall have a further think about it.
fhjones
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 160
Darucla wrote:
Plusnet is part of BT, so I have a feud with going back to the prehistoric ages. And I am concerned about bandwidth throttling at peak times.

Plusnet is owned by BT, but it is run as a separate company.

I left BT for Plusnet and to me it is a different world/universe. The helpline is quick and er, helpful and the prices are as good as the best offered by BT. The difference is that you don't have to negociate for the best price - WYSIWYG.

I worried about the reports of bandwidth throttling at peak times, so I after the move I regularly checked our BB speed. At peak times it never dropped below ~ 75Mbps.

goodolpete
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 161
fhjones wrote:
Darucla wrote:
Plusnet is part of BT, so I have a feud with going back to the prehistoric ages. And I am concerned about bandwidth throttling at peak times.

I worried about the reports of bandwidth throttling at peak times, so I after the move I regularly checked our BB speed. At peak times it never dropped below ~ 75Mbps.

Do you check manually or have you got some sort of script?

fhjones
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 160
goodolpete wrote:
fhjones wrote:
Darucla wrote:

Do you check manually or have you got some sort of script?

I checked manually using Ookla:

http://www.speedtest.net/