Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy TF5800 doesn't load interface properly.

Page 1 of 1
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 121 Location: Essex
Over the last few weeks my Toppy has developed a fault where it tends to refuse to load MyStuff (older version). When it all started (it turned itself on to record (but didn't because MyStuff didn't start)) I found that turning it off & then back on again started the MyStuff interface. This I've lived with for 3 or 4 weeks but now it's pot luck whether I can get the MyStuff started.

Sometimes on a restart it will Verify files & folders & MyStuff will load afterwards, this sounds drastic but my Toppy has always done this from time to time over the years & worked perfectly afterwards.

So most of the time I now have to live with the Toppy interface which dosen't perform correctly. Only the EPG works. I can't see any recordings I've made on the HD (won't load that page) or will it record or rewind a live programme however it will pause!

I've never changed the capacitors since I bought it new however many years ago so I am going to check those.

I fitted a 1TB SATA Samsung drive many years ago which believe it or not I've managed to fill on a few occassions (a bit lazy on deleting stuff ) it's only when getting full I plough through it to remove stuff Confused
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3883
Sounds like the capacitors, especially as you have never had them done - contact andyfras for a repair, or if you have the skills to do it yourself, a quality set of caps (cheaper than buying from Maplin). Make sure all the caps are changed!

We don't have any indication of your current configuration e.g. a MyInfo log would be useful.

Suggest you switch off until the caps have been replaced (to prevent damage to the disk).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Sounds like the capacitors, especially as you have never had them done - contact andyfras for a repair, or if you have the skills to do it yourself, a quality set of caps (cheaper than buying from Maplin). Make sure all the caps are changed!

We don't have any indication of your current configuration e.g. a MyInfo log would be useful.

Suggest you switch off until the caps have been replaced (to prevent damage to the disk).

Geoff

I bought some caps some years ago to fit to my Sister's Toppy since it was bought s/h (which came with a remote sensor problem) but never got round to doing mine as it was working fine, I've just found 4 packs of capacitors that I bought back then but don't know if it's all of them?

Looks like I'm gonna have to switch to that great oll Sony STB thats just been sitting there for a while..... sigh.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The # of caps depends on the toppy model - contact andyfras for details

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Well I had intentions of sorting this out today but time fly's. Just had a peak inside & one of the caps next to the 4 big rectifier diodes on the edge of the board is bulging so it would appear to be a capacitor fault.

Does the big 400V capacitor need replacing too? .... Looks ok as do all the others but done no voltage testing as yet.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
andyfras recommends changing them all.

Geoff

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 651
Not sure if he still does it, but andyfras did do an exchange service for the motherboard

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
juwlz
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10778 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
per-Sony-fied wrote:
Over the last few weeks my Toppy has developed a fault where it tends to refuse to load MyStuff (older version). When it all started (it turned itself on to record (but didn't because MyStuff didn't start)) I found that turning it off & then back on again started the MyStuff interface. This I've lived with for 3 or 4 weeks but now it's pot luck whether I can get the MyStuff started.

Whether or not MyStuff starts has no bearing at all on whether the recording will happen, as the timers are all native.

However, if you have a hardware fault, failing to record and failing to start MyStuff could both be different symptoms of the same problem.

Quote:
I've never changed the capacitors since I bought it new however many years ago so I am going to check those.

Every Toppy ever sold is now way past the time when its capacitors were due to be changed. See Toppy Repairs

In the meantime, unplug it from the mains and stop trying to use it before you do any more serious (i.e. expensive) damage.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Useful info. Thanks. It looks like just one capacitor is causing the problem but I will change them all. I bought (rather the firm paid for them the time) some quality replacements dome years ago but I think I've misplaced some. I can't remember all 13 replacements. Is there a list somewhere?

BTw: Had my Toppy more than 10 years so it's done really well Very Happy
andyfras
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3366
Please be assured that almost every capacitor will be out of specification. I'm amazed that it has lasted so long.

Topfield TF5800 Capacitor Replacement Kit (9 inc. P&P)

5 x 1000 μF @ 16V (C17, C18, C19, C23 & C25)
1 x 1500 μF @ 10V (C22)
3 x 470 μF @ 16V (C20, C26 & C27)
3 x 100 μF @ 35V (C13, C15 & C16)
1 x 47 μF @ 50V (C9)
2 x 470 μF @ 35V (C12 & C14)
1 x 470 μF @ 50V (C10)
2 x 1 μF @ 50V (C7 & C24)

Please note that C22 is an uprated replacement as this is normally the first one to fail and is most critical for stability of all voltages. 2200 μF @ 10V supplied for 'facelift' (central blue light) 5800PVRt (not suitable for earlier versions).

I have never yet had to replace the 150uF 400V capacitior. To send it 'just in case' would add about 5 to the kit due to additional postage (must be sent as a small parcel instead of a large letter).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Thanks Andy. I should think I am missing some, gonna have to search around a bit see if I can find more. I remember doing a list of what I needed to order back then so I think they must be somewhere. Otherwise, unless I can get away with another sneaky order Very Happy I will purchase the necessary from yourself.

Apollogies for the bad english in my last reply was done using my phone... blooming touchscreen keyboards.