Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Freeview, TopUp and TV  ~  How long has the Toppy got?

Page 1 of 1
NeilM
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 192
With all the changes that are on the way we do wonder how much longer we will be able to use our Toppy.

Our TX is Oxford, which uses the 700 band. Will the changes simply use frequencies already available? We pick up duplicate channels in the 600 band, which we think come from Hannington.

Put simply - does anyone know if the changes will render the Toppy obsolete?
gomezz
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3956 Location: Buckingham
These changes won't. What will sound the death knell is the proposed conversion of all the DVB-T MUXes to DVB-T2. DVB-T is exclusively used for SD channels and DVB-T2 was introduced to cater for the transmission of HD channels in a more efficient way than would have been possible with DVB-T. However, a DVB-T2 MUX can carry a mix of HD and SD channels and do so using less bandwidth which is why there the push to convert.

I think the date being considered is 2020 although my personal view is that there should be one legacy DVB-T MUX carrying the traditional main channels to serve older equipment for another five years or more.

juwlz
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10771 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Your utilities folder (as mentioned in your other thread) should include the Channel Organiser TAP, which can be used to scan for channels without getting duplicates.

Duplicate channels on a Toppy are BAD NEWS.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bizman
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1633
gomezz wrote:
I think the date being considered is 2020 although my personal view is that there should be one legacy DVB-T MUX carrying the traditional main channels to serve older equipment for another five years or more.
The government have set aside some vast amount of money to pay for aerial changes which may arise in certain areas. I can't see them coping with a massive dumping of SD only equipment around the same time - HD penetration is not as great as some would have liked.
I shall not only miss my Toppy when the final day comes but also the camaradie of the regular posters on here most of whom I have never even met.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
EMJB
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3619 Location: Maldon Essex
Bizman wrote:
... I shall not only miss my Toppy when the final day comes but also the camaradie of the regular posters on here most of whom I have never even met.

Here, here! It is good to see a forum where problems are raised in such a polite manner, and are answered in such patience & tolerance when considered misguided.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3956 Location: Buckingham
My Toppy packed up a couple of years ago yet I still hang out here. Maybe it can morph into a Miraclebox and fellower traveller site?

andrec
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1347 Location: Bristol, U.K.
gomezz wrote:
My Toppy packed up a couple of years ago yet I still hang out here. Maybe it can morph into a Miraclebox and fellower traveller site?

I donated my Toppy to Andy for the Forum a while back and also still lurk here. After an unsatisfactory Humax phase, I've now got a Miraclebox which works well, though I strongly suspect I'm not doing everything with it which I could be.

I've learned more about the Miraclebox here than on its official forum!

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 650 Location: Yorkshire end of the M1
I've still got three, but only one in use. My problem is that MyStuff suits the way I watch tv so well, it's a wrench to try anything else. I use its search capabilities to program my youview box via an app. If only we could entice a PVR maker to employ BobD...

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10771 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I keep thinking that we should petition for some "other box" discussion areas for the more popular / Toppy-similar solutions (the MiracleBox and its variants comes to mind) so that the helpful folks here can continue to help each other with different hardware.

Of course, I'm sure Nigel wouldn't be that keen of funding it Confused

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012