Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  thanks to Andy Fraser

Page 1 of 1
ianblamey
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
just wanted to say a big thanks to Andy for his help and support this week.

Having decided on a hard drive upgrade on my 6 year + toppy it seemed sensible to check out the PSU even though I had no obvious problems.

I sent the PSU to Andy twice because I shorted it when I first had it back. First on the Monday, then on Thursday.

With quick responses to emails and even having to send it off twice I was back up and running on Saturday.

Thanks to Andy for a great service.

hs
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I second that.
Andy replaced the PSU capacitors and found the hard disk had died. Replaced hard dik for a very reasonable fee.
Got it back then found that it was stuck at 'load'. Probably 'cos i tried to load mystuff on the wrong OS.
Back to Andy seems the NVRAM had corrupted. Sorted and back to me.
Andy will probably be very pleased to here it's now running perfectly.
Thanks again Andy.
H
mcwhelan
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Another thank you here.

I had some stability problems with my TF5810 and discovered the information here about the PSU and capacitors. I had a go at replacing some of the capacitors myself (which seemed to fix the problem) but I didn't like the look of my soldering and I didn't fancy doing 6 more. I decided that it was time to call in the experts. Cue a day out in Winchester stopping off at Fleet on the way and on the way back.

What a brilliant service. New firmware and battery included. It's like having a new machine. Everything working as it should and the new firmware loading quickly. The Mrs is especially grateful that she now has a working Toppy and the kitchen table isn't covered in PCBs.
andyfras
Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3349
mcwhelan wrote:
The Mrs is especially grateful that she now has a working Toppy and the kitchen table isn't covered in PCBs.

Fortunately mine is quite tolerant on that score. Wink

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Wallace
Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
I asked Andy for advice on a Humax HDR Fox T2 PSU, as well as my Toppy (s) 5810.

I ordered the required caps from Andy and they arrived in super quick time.

Thanks.

laurelgate
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Another thank you to Andy from me.

Been using my trusty 5800 since 2008 (MyStuff for the last couple of years) without any problems but just started experiencing some common PSU issues. After checking the PSU output voltages I Discussed options with Andy yesterday and decided on the PSU exchange service (if only to save time on the soldering!)

PSU arrived this morning (next day), re-installed and all back to normal.

I have also taken the opportunity to install a small fan on the rear panel (used an old but unused CPU cooler for an i486 I had lying around. Runs nice and quiet off the 5v line. Longest job was cutting the hole in the back panel and finding some suitable metal mesh to cover it.

Currently updating MyStuff to v6.5 and looking forward to a few more years service.
alan_m
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3383
laurelgate wrote:

I have also taken the opportunity to install a small fan on the rear panel (used an old but unused CPU cooler for an i486 I had lying around. Runs nice and quiet off the 5v line. Longest job was cutting the hole in the back panel and finding some suitable metal mesh to cover it.

A 60 or 80mm fan running at 1000rpm and fitted to the underside of the top cover using a few cable ties would save saved you the trouble of cutting a hole.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy_fan/

A few years on and the smaller fan shown in the above link has been removed as it became noisy. I have 2 Toppys and one is fitted with a single 80mm fan and the other a 60mm fan.

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
laurelgate
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:

A 60 or 80mm fan running at 1000rpm and fitted to the underside of the top cover using a few cable ties would save saved you the trouble of cutting a hole.
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy_fan/

A few years on and the smaller fan shown in the above link has been removed as it became noisy. I have 2 Toppys and one is fitted with a single 80mm fan and the other a 60mm fan.

I did consider that but didn't have a slimline fan to hand and wanted to complete the job today.

It's actually a 12v - 40mm fan but makes a surprising amount of noise at 12v. Initially I intended using an in-line resistor of around 50ohm to step to around 7v but after testing on the bench, 5v seemed fine so I rewired to the 5v line on the HD molex.

MyStuff 6.5 update also now completed and working.

Now just have to hide all the wires away again under the TV to keep the wife happy. Very Happy

gramps
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Jun 2007 Posts: 298
Also showing my appreciation of Andy's excellent service. He sorted out my PSU and also provided me with a SATA adapter & cable.

The speed of Andy's service can't be faulted and my trusty toppy was back up and running in no time. Finally got round to fitting a new hard drive and thanks to Andy that was also problem free.

Gramps

My Logo Packs
deryckb
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Our 5800 started locking up this week, I knew about the PSU problem so stopped using it and ordered a capacitor kit from Andy on Friday, arrived Saturday and after a Sunday morning soldering session it's back to normal.

Very happy Smile
petepwl
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I started getting "Memory Deallocation Error" appearing on my 6 year old 5800 and a lot of "clunking" noises from the HDD which led me to think the HDD was on the way out. Decided to get the PSU Capacitors replaced by AndyF on the basis of the numerous "not if, but when the PSU fails" posts on the forum. Was very impressed that not only was the repair done quickly but Andy had also taken the trouble to test the original capacitors and replied that since they were all still (just) within spec, the PSU was not the source of my issues! 500GB WD Caviar Green fitted... been running perfectly so far...
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Andy for sending me the capacitor kit, a SATA interface and a suitable replacement HDD for my venerable 5800. All now restored to health.

Cheers
Trevor
emmaisadragon@gmail.com
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
My dear old Toppy started doing strange things and I feared the worst.

Thanks to this forum I was able to get in touch with Andy Fraser, who did a fantastic job of explaining the problem and possible solutions. I wasn't confident enough to dismantle the box myself, so sent the whole Toppy to Andy and within a few days it was back, fully repaired, with new capacitors and with all my recordings (and Taps and settings) transferred safely to a new internal hard drive with loads of extra storage space. It even runs more quietly

All this, including shipping, for less than the cost of replacing the Toppy with a rubbish new bottom-of-the-range top box/PVR. And much kinder to the environment, too

Many thanks Andy.