Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  TF5810 front panel clock doesn't update when in standby

Page 1 of 1
sploo
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
My TF5810 has started behaving strangely over the last few days: if I bring it out of standby (for a few minutes at least) then turn it off (back to standby) the time on the front panel is correct. It'll usually then update as expected (i.e. keep time) for a while, but returning later the time is wrong.

I've especially noticed this overnight (clock many hours behind when you look at it in the morning); where I assumed we'd had an overnight power cut.

Assuming the time on the display is the time (as far as the Toppy's concerned), it's unsurprisingly missing timers, so not recording scheduled programs.

I've found a couple of references to the front panel / display panel battery and the time display part of the problem looks a dead cert for that issue. Am I right in thinking that the displayed timer is also the Toppy's timer (i.e. missing recording timers would be expected)?
Bizman
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1612
See TF5810 Display Battery replacement at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252459

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
sploo
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
See TF5810 Display Battery replacement at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252459

Thanks. I'd seen that thread, but I wasn't certain the issue of missing timers was related (though I'll assume it must be).

In the hope it's useful for others, I took some photos when I did the battery replacement.

After removing the lid I undid the three screws that hold the front panel on, pressed up the tabs at the bottom, and tipped the front panel forward. The plugs holding the cables in were pretty tight so I decided not to remove them (the small plug socket was already at that angle - I didn't bend it!):

Once the three screws holding the circuit board are removed, you need to press in the two tabs shown in the circle. I found that gently pressing the panel down on the table helped to lift the circuit board (as the large round toggle button on the front panel pushes it up):

Replacing the battery was then simple - gentle pressure with a screwdriver on the tab at the right side of the battery and it pops out:

The old battery was reading just a shade over 1V, so clearly needed replacing.

Getting the circuit board in proved harder than lifting it out - you need to slot it under the two tabs.

I've not tried any recordings yet, but all seems well so far.

BTW The non-standard HDD is a 1TB SATA unit, with a SATA to PATA converter.
andyfras
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3349
I see that the PSU still has the original capacitors - it is on borrowed time!

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
sploo
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
I see that the PSU still has the original capacitors - it is on borrowed time!

It's been on borrowed time for a long time then Wink

I am aware of the PSU issues (I had a TF5800 before this), but it (the 5810) is old, it's SD only, and I'm in the process of setting up a Raspberry Pi + Kodi + a HD USB tuner; so I suspect the Toppy will slowly get used less, and if/when it does eventually go pop it'll probably just get retired.
mw2510
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
hi,
did replacing the battery cure the problem as mine is doing exactly the same? it was replaced a couple of years ago but perhaps needs it again?
thanks.

sploo
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
mw2510 wrote:
hi,
did replacing the battery cure the problem as mine is doing exactly the same? it was replaced a couple of years ago but perhaps needs it again?
thanks.

Yes - the Toppy is now recording programs on the timer as expected, so it does appear to be the "right" fix for this issue.
Bizman
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1612
mw2510 wrote:
hi,
thanks.
My battery was still going strong after 5 years, but was replaced on Andy's advice. Perhaps it matters how much time the Toppy spends in standby and the shelf life of the origial battery.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
aj4m2a
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
sploo wrote:
Bizman wrote:

In the hope it's useful for others, I took some photos when I did the battery replacement.

Thank you all for this thread. Another successful fix for an aging Toppy.