Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Upgrading from a toppy 5800 to freeview HD, recomendations?

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10734 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Yup, if SD dies, a 5810 is no more use to you than a 5800. See Should I buy a Toppy?

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
munk
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 52
Thanks folks, I thought the 5810 was an HD Freeview tuner (I must have been thinking of the HDMI detail and presumed it was an HD Freeview box), oops. The search will continue then!

I thought it was 2017... will check now... hehe well the first result from a google search for https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=freeview%20sd%20end%20of%20life%20date&gws_rd=ssl returns Nigel's blog entry:

http://gonedigital.net/2015/10/05/when-will-your-freeview-box-stop-working/

Quote:
My recent post on the new rules for Freeview has prompted some questions about how much longer people will be able to carry on using their first generation Freeview kit. To recap, from January 2017 all Freeview kit thatís sold will have to support HD.

Again another misunderstanding, I think I must have had that date in mind for when SD was ending rather than being the date that all freeview kit must support HD.

alan_m
Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3383
munk wrote:
Will the 5810 be immune to the changes to broadcasting in 2017 (the death of Freeview SD?) that will render the 5800 obsolete?

No, The 5800 and 5810 has only SD tuners (T tuners). What is starting to happen already is SD channels are appearing on HD MUXs which require HD decoding and (T2) tuners. The reason for the change is that you can get more SD channels on a MUX transmitting with HD encoding. The government want to sell more of the spectrum formerly allocated for TV to the mobile phone network and therefore fewer channels available for TV transmission hence the change in encoding allowing more SD chaneels in each MUX.

SD will not die - its just that the channels will encoded differently and which 5800/5810 cannot decode. If replacing any box or TV these days you need to go for one that has true HD tuners and the appropriate decoding.

And then there is the question of 4K TV Sad

Quote:

But on the other hand though it would be nice to have more up to date functionality in an STB (specifically IP network connectivity, but also extra computing power and scalability for things like IPTV / streaming etc)

This is where it may be more difficult to future proof for more than a year or two. For UK catch up TV the broadcasters have a somewhat appalling record of changing things soon after a box/TV is put on the market.

With the Enimga2 (Miraclebox et all) boxes being discussed as an possible alternative they are capable of running additional software applications but it is recommended that these boxes should not be considered as all singing all dancing media players. Use them as a good TV receiver and buy something such as a £30 usb dongle attached to your TV for IP content.

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3