Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Asus WL500G recovery tool

Page 1 of 1
v12mike
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2006 Posts: 247
Can anyone point me at a link to the Asus WL500G recovery tool? or send me a copy?

It was on the CD that originally came with the routers. It is no longer available to download from ASUS.

I have a WL500G here that is running fine, but still on factory firmware, and I would like to load Tomato.

TIA,
Mike
mstombs
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 935
Asus have a restoration tool for the RT-N16 on their web site, I wonder if that would work?

There's usually a 'manual' method to push new firmware using tftp. You have to have a static IP on your PC and get the timing right - very short window after power on. It sometimes helps to use a hub between PC and router to minimize time lost during PC network autoconnection.
v12mike
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
Asus have a restoration tool for the RT-N16 on their web site, I wonder if that would work?

I tried that, but it doesn't seem to detect the router
mstombs wrote:

There's usually a 'manual' method to push new firmware using tftp. You have to have a static IP on your PC and get the timing right - very short window after power on. It sometimes helps to use a hub between PC and router to minimize time lost during PC network autoconnection.

I may resort to that, but I have never had much success running TFTP on windows, and I don't have a Linux box to hand at present.

I do have an original installation CD, but I can't get physical access to it for another 6 weeks, by which time my use for the router will have disappeared...
TopTapper
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 209
Unchartered google waters but the dd-wrt page suggests that ENG_1380.ZIP (or ENGLISH_1382.ZIP) might do it.
Scotty
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hi Mike,

I have the disc for a WL500GPV2 in my drive at the moment, and the utility folder is showing as being about 15MB. Would that break your email inbox limit?

If you want to PM me your details (email) I will see if I can email it. Should take me about 2 weeks though with my slow ADSL upload rate. Smile

Hope this helps,

Graham

[quote="v12mike"]Can anyone point me at a link to the Asus WL500G recovery tool? or send me a copy?

It was on the CD that originally came with the routers. It is no longer available to download from ASUS.

I have a WL500G here that is running fine, but still on factory firmware, and I would like to load Tomato.

TIA,
Mike[/quote] Razz Razz
v12mike
Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
TopTapper wrote:
Unchartered google waters but the dd-wrt page suggests that ENG_1380.ZIP (or ENGLISH_1382.ZIP) might do it.

That is the correct file for this router.
Unfortunately, the router seems to have a problem that prevents it going properly into recovery mode (LEDs show recovery mode, and normal operation stops, but nothing is sent out the ethernet posts).

Because the bootloader detects a good firmware version, it won't drop into bootloader mode.

It works normally in normal mode, but having original firmware, I can't get shell access to see what is going on.
v12mike
Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
I have found that I can re-flash this router with a new version of firmware, but only using the upload function in the web interface, the recovery mode is still broken. Unfortunately I don't think Tomato can be loaded using the web interface.

I have now got it running an early version of Olegs firmware,, so have got shell access, but I am not sure what do do next. I could erase the flash image to force the bootloader recovery mode, but if that didn't work, I would be totally stuck.