Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Recovering recordings from Toppy's old HDD

Page 1 of 1
NeilM
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Posts: 192
Not being an expert in electronics, I like to ask the pros before I go and wreck something Wink

I've bought a Sharkoon Quickport Combo from Maplin to retrieve recordings from the 250GB HDD (Samsung SP2514N/OMD) removed from the 5800 (replaced with 1TB by Andyfras, along with capacitors). If I simply plug the USB lead from the Quickport into the Toppy's rear socket, will the drive be recognised immediately so I can move files on to the new drive?

The only other thing that bothers me is 2) in the note included with the Quickport:
Quote:
1. The IDE standard does not support Plug&Play. Switch off the QuickPort, then plug the IDE device to the IDE front connector and turn on the QuickPort, the connected IDE device will now be available.
2. To correctly recognize the IDE devices it is necessary to set their jumpers to “Master” or “Cable Select” (for more info also refer to the manual of the respective device).

My only experience with jumpers was a garage door remote that needed sliding switches set to match the operator, but I can see no sign of anything like that on the drive, so guess it means, in my case, the Topfield which presumably has the jumpers already set.

I have tried connecting to the iMac (using Altair through MPEG Streamclip) but though it seemed to register the Quickport was there, no files showed.
ccs
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2379
The only way you can copy files is using Antares on a pc which is connected to the toppy via usb, or TopHDRW, running on a pc with the disc removed from the toppy and connected to the pc using a caddy, say.

ccsx
NeilM
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, ccs. We've got a MacBook that runs WinXP Pro via Parallels, so TopfHDRW looks like the best bet.

Just had a look in Downloads and found the link to TopfHDRW (thanks again, Andyfras), so will download into the MacBook and give it a try.

MikB
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 282 Location: West Midlands
NeilM wrote:
If I simply plug the USB lead from the Quickport into the Toppy's rear socket, will the drive be recognised immediately so I can move files on to the new drive?

(jumpers) ... but I can see no sign of anything like that on the drive, so guess it means, in my case, the Topfield which presumably has the jumpers already set.

On the first point: The USB port on the back of the topfield is a "slave" port -- as is the Quickport's USB port. Neither are the master/host in this arrangement. Both expect to connect to a host. It would be equivalent to connecting two hard drives back to back with USB adaptors and a USB cable and wondering what to do next ...

On the second point:The jumpers are there, you won't find switches of any size. Look for a small 4-8 pin, possibly two row, 0.1" pitch "connector" -- usually directly adjacent to the IDE 40 way connector. There is usually a hint (Sticker) on the drive lid as to what the jumpers do (e.g. what to fit for "master" "slave" "Cable select" "reduced drive size to XGB for compatibility" "disable 4096 byte sectors" etc.)

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
NeilM
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
MikB wrote:
On the first point: The USB port on the back of the topfield is a "slave" port -- as is the Quickport's USB port...

Thank you - you may gather that "Not being an expert in electronics..." is, to say the least, a gross understatement Rolling Eyes

MikB wrote:
On the second point:The jumpers are there, you won't find switches of any size. Look for a small 4-8 pin, possibly two row, 0.1" pitch "connector" -- usually directly adjacent to the IDE 40 way connector. There is usually a hint (Sticker) on the drive lid as to what the jumpers do (e.g. what to fit for "master" "slave" "Cable select" "reduced drive size to XGB for compatibility" "disable 4096 byte sectors" etc.)

I found the sticker you refer to:

The Quickport came with four looms:

A larger version of this pic can be found here.

I used A and B and, since that worked with the Mac well enough to tell me the "Topfield is not connected", I'll try that combo first. D doesn't fit but is included purely FYI...
Samsung pins layout here

The MacBook is used by the missus, so I have to fit in with her diary Wink

And thankyou for reading this far Laughing
MikB
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 282 Location: West Midlands
It looks like you need a single jumper fitted to the left-most (that is, next to the IDE port) pin-pair, if this is going to work at all Smile Have you got any jumpers installed on the drive?

(General pin settings/Master). Don't use the "limit to 32GB" version, with two jumpers!

Of the leads, A looks like an older 40-way Parallel IDE lead, and C looks like the 80-way newer version. Still a 40 way connector but every other conductor in the wire is grounded.

D won't fit, as you rightly spot. That's for compatibility with (laptop?) drives that have power and IDE crammed into one smaller connector.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15