Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Toppy asking me to format hard drive from switch on

Page 1 of 1
100949football
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 39 Location: Falkirk, scotland
Toppy 5800 which has been faithful for years. Must confess HD is almost full (about 15 hours recording space left on 160GB). Switched on tonight and was immediately asked to format HDD yes or no. Cannot access "archive" therefore cannot watch any recorded programmes. Cannot record new ones either?
Otherwise machine operating fine!
Anyone any ideas as my wife has tons of old prigs she wants to watch!

Please fellas?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3393
The disk is corrupted. It may be possible to fix it by removing the disk, then attaching it to a PC running TopfHDRW.

Have the PSU capacitors been replaced yet?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3960
The disk may have been corrupted by a poor quality signal.
However, it may also have been corrupted because you are running with so little free space (anything could happen if space runs out)

Assuming you recover the data with TopfHDRW, suggest you delete some large files so that free space is not so low (e.g. identify some long films that you haven't yet watched; delete them and set up a search so that they get recorded when they are next broadcast).

I am working on a program similar to TopfHDRW but I don't expect that will be ready for two months (possibly longer) ie. TopfHDRW is the only recovery mechanism available.

Note: I seem to remember that someone recently (in last 3? months) reported that they didn't format the disk when requested. After they had replaced the capacitors in the PSU, the disk worked without problem. You might also be lucky!

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10810 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
100949football wrote:
Toppy 5800 which has been faithful for years. Must confess HD is almost full (about 15 hours recording space left on 160GB). Switched on tonight and was immediately asked to format HDD yes or no. Cannot access "archive" therefore cannot watch any recorded programmes. Cannot record new ones either?
If it's 8 years old, start with Toppy Repairs

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
100949football
Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Apr 2006 Posts: 39 Location: Falkirk, scotland
Many thanks to everyone....capacitors were "broke" - now fixed but hard drive was corrupted so lost everything.

Thanks to all for your help it was invaluable.