Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  What to do if you think you've found a bug

Page 1 of 1
Admin
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Apr 2005 Posts: 67 Location: London, UK
Welcome to the bugs area. Please use this space to report any bugs you've found on your Topfield.

Before posting, please Check the FAQs, to see if there's information that might help you solve a problem.

It would also be helpful if you can try to include details of what you were doing, whether or not you can make the same bug appear again, and the software version of your Toppy.

Thanks,

Nigel.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9520 Location: London
Please bear in mind the following guidelines when posting in the Bugs section of the forum.

1. Always check to see if there is an existing thread that describes the bug you're posting about

2. If you just have a general comment about the Toppy's software, please use the General discussions section of the forum. The Bugs section is for technical postings, where we can find workarounds, or gather information that may help Topfield solve problems.

3. Always remember to say which version of Firmware you're using on your Toppy - it may be important, and there are already 7 different publicly released versions. This FAQ page explains how to find out your firmware version.

4. Provide as much information as possible, including whether or not you have any TAPs installed and what you were doing when the problem happened. It is also often useful to know what transmitter you're on, and what signal strength you have. Tell us if you were just doing one thing, or if your Toppy was doing others, like recording two things at the same time. If in doubt, give more infomation - it's always better than just saying "I've had this bug too."

Thank you,

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9520 Location: London
Additional information regarding bugs, bug fixes and feature changes

Bugs are managed on this site to try and make sure that we can give the most useful information possible to Topfield/Turbosat, helping them reproduce problems and find out how they can be resolved.

How does a bug get into the database?
Bugs are entered into the site bug database when they're reported by more than one person and they generally also have to be reproducible too - so several people have the same problem, and we can try and work out what happens to cause the problem. It's very important that you provide as much information as you can.

When a moderator or site admin feels there is enough information to create a useful bug report, they will add it to the database.

How are bugs classified?
We have a fixed definition of bugs; a bug is not a 'critical bug' just because it particularly annoys you. If you feel it is very important, and you are a registered site user, then the database allows you to register that fact.

Bugs have one of three classifications:

A critical bug is one that prevents the TF5800 from responding to the remote, that causes it to restart, or renders it unusable in some other way.

A major bug includes bugs that result in failed or damaged recordings, or loss of a key feature, like subtitles or soundtracks.

Minor bugs are those that don't fit in the categories above - but do not include things that are simply quirks of the design - having to press too many keys to reach something is not a bug, for example.

How do I see the bug list?
Any visitor to the site can see the bugs that are marked as not resolved on the public bugs page. If you are a registered forum user, then you can see more detailed lists of bugs:

You can see either bugs in a specific firmware version or the full list, which is organised by classification.

How do I add my comments to a bug
Only registered users of the site can do this. Access one of the view of the bugs list; if you are looking at a particular firmware version, click the Rate and respond link beneath the description of a bug. If you are looking at bugs list by category, click the Details link for the bug and then click on Bug responses.

What about requests for changes, or new features
You should discuss those in the Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades area of the forum. Registered users of the site will see feature change requests and new feature requests in the bug list.

I've asked for a bug to be added, but it's not there yet. Why don't you take it seriously?
We take all bugs seriously, but please remember that this site is run on a voluntary basis, and it sometimes takes time to gather enough useful information to create a bug report. You can help by making sure you supply all the information that might be relevant. That includes your transmitter, a detailed description of what happened - ie not just "it stopped working" - and the firmware version you're using.

Why do I get asked for my password when I try to look at the bugs lists?
The full bugs database is part of the site Services section; to use it you need to be registered as a forum user, and then set up your Services account; log in with your forum name and password, and set preferences, including whether or not you want to receive email notifications about updates, and the version of firmware you currently have installed.