Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  One more trashed HDD (no prompt to format)

Page 1 of 1
chris_s
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 402
This morning I turned on the TV to find Toppy stuck on the ‘L’ with ‘WAIT’ on the display: totally unresponsive to any control inputs.

Pulled the plug, waited a couple of minutes, plug back in and it loaded then froze trying to load a tap (suspect MyStuff).

Tried a ‘power up start’ holding ‘0’, unfortunately can’t remember the exact outcome (probably froze, but may have been an accidental break in the string of ‘0’s).

Took the lid off and disconnected the HDD: all functioned perfectly as a tuner.

Reconnected HDD and did Tapless restart (because it had previously shut down correctly, this was a proper restart. Native archive showed recordings as expected, able to play recordings. Able to see a long list of scheduled timers using native Menu functions.

Moved MyStuff out of Autostart, shut down, restarted, all OK.

Started MyStuff manually and it froze.

Pulled plug, waited, tried a ‘power up start’, VFF, crash, run VFF, crash ........

Holding ‘0’ during the start of the crash loop had no effect.

Took HDD out of Toppy, connected to Windows XP PC, ran TopfHDRW, and by clicking to Ignore countless ‘overflow’ errors, and ‘OKing’ to continue after ‘Damaged Subdirectory’ errors, I realised that quite a bit of the directory structure is damaged, and gave up.

Tried TopfHDDoctor but, again by countless clicking of ‘ignore’ it just reported many cluster problems:-

Code:
Info:   TopfHDDoctor V0.20.4
Info:   Testing PhysicalDrive4  (WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1)
Info:   Test started @ 2014-02-15 14:43:35
Info:   Sectors per Cluster: Superblock: 22372, Backup Superblock: 22372, Disk Size: 22372
OK:   Superblock - Parameter area
OK:   Superblock - Backup Parameter area
OK:   Superblock - Root Directory
OK:   Cluster 0 - Root Directory
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 100775
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 100795
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 100796
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 100845
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 103217
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 104315
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 104879
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 105229
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 106883
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 108834
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 110863
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 113583
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 115412
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 116173
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 118541
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 119526
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 120542
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 124422
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 102432
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 102712
Fixed:   Files - Attribute of slot 1 of directory '\ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\': recreated '..' directory
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 116541
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 116904
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 96938
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 97293
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 97660
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 98205
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 98848
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99278
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99284
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99293
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99306
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99496
Info:   Scan structure for subdirectories: couldn't find cluster 99894
Skipped:   Fixing the FAT structures doesn't make sense without the full directory data.
Skipped:   Fixing the subdirectory structures doesn't make sense without the full directory data.
Skipped:   Fixing the superblock dependencies doesn't make sense without the full directory data.
Info:   Test finished @ 2014-02-15 14:45:53
   ================================================================================
Info:   Cluster size = 10.92 MB
Info:   Free/Used: Information not yet available.
   ================================================================================

Select "File - Write changes to the disk" to make the modifications permanent.   

Possibly a big mistake, but decided to ‘Write changes to disk’

Ran it again with similar results apart from ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff line.

I am now in that unfortunately not uncommon position of having lost literally hundreds of recordings that I wanted to keep, and should have copied off, but hadn’t got round to it.

1.5TB HDD about 11% free, roughly 800 recordings, 200 or so of which I will really miss.

Any ideas?

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 3941
You can try a scan and Match option in TopfHDRW/TfDoctor.

This will read every cluster on the disk and determine chains of clusters that are used by recordings. Whether or not you end up with meaningful names on the recordings is something else (but you may be lucky with some of them)

I guess it is too late to run my fsCheck tap as, by writing in TopfHDRW, you will have destroyed the information that it could have used.
After the Scan and Match/Recover, you could try fsCheck (please post the results in the dedicated thread) or post the output of HDDInfo (in this thread). Both of these will show the SMART attributes which will allow an health assessment of the disk to be made.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/16
ccs
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2379
Transmitter problems in Nottingham today. Not too far away??

ccsx
chris_s
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Having not been able to find a 'Scan & Match' option in the version I was using I redownloaded TopfHDDoctor, this time V0.21.8, and it didn't show the same results as before.

Code:
Info:   TopfHDDoctor V0.21.8
Info:   Testing PhysicalDrive1  (WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1)
Info:   Test started @ 2014-02-16 17:01:55
Info:   Sectors per Cluster: Superblock: 22372, Backup Superblock: 22372, Calc: 22372, Size: 1397.26 GB
OK:   Subdirectory Scan
Fixed:   FAT: synchronized 2 entries
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0001.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0002.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0003.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0004.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0005.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0006.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0007.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0008.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0009.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - the lost cluster check has recovered a subdirectory. This requires to restart all tests.
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0011.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0012.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - the lost cluster check has recovered a subdirectory. This requires to restart all tests.
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0014.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0015.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0016.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0017.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0018.rec (10.9 MB)
Info:   Files - Created File LostCluster0019.rec (10.9 MB)
Fixed:   Files - File '\DataFiles\LostCluster0018.rec' is shorter than expected: changed size from 10.92 MB to 0  B
Fixed:   Files - File '\DataFiles\LostCluster0019.rec' is shorter than expected: changed size from 10.92 MB to 0  B
Fixed:   Files - Size Field of '\ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\.': set to 1 cluster
Info:   Test finished @ 2014-02-16 17:10:52
Info:   Used: 4244 files; 233 directories; 116527 clusters; 1.2 TB; 89.0%
Info:   Free: 14451 clusters; 154.2 GB

Info:   Writing modified clusters to the disk
Info:   Done
Info:   TopfHDDoctor V0.21.8
Info:   Testing PhysicalDrive1  (WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1)
Info:   Test started @ 2014-02-16 17:11:55
Info:   Sectors per Cluster: Superblock: 22372, Backup Superblock: 22372, Calc: 22372, Size: 1397.26 GB
Fixed:   FAT: synchronized 2 entries
Info:   Test finished @ 2014-02-16 17:18:00
Info:   Used: 4244 files; 235 directories; 116527 clusters; 1.2 TB; 89.0%
Info:   Free: 14451 clusters; 154.2 GB

Info:   Writing modified clusters to the disk
Info:   Done

When I ran TopfHDRW it complained about
"Damaged subdirectory '\ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\'; Cluster 3028"
but went on to read the Disk.

I copied off the files that I really didn't want to lose, then searched directories for merged files (unusually long), and copied them, then decided to copy most things apart from those I didn't care too much about: this ended up as copying 535 files, in 92 folders, totalling 559GB to my NAS.

I then did a windows XP search for *.* on the mapped NAS drive, and was able to sort by date, size, etc. to identify the merged files, playing each one on VLC to determine the different parts.

I will probably have lost some things that I can't remember, but the only obvious missing recording is the final part of Broadchurch (unless, of course, it failed to record back in April 2013).

Two questions remain:-

1) should I run 'Scan & Match' to see if anything else is recoverable?

2) dare I put it back into the Toppy and see if it will run, first as it is (MyStuff not in Autostart), then manual start (which furthered the corruption last time)? Or should I try to reinstall MyStuff (this will be the 6.4 to 6.5 transition)?

While I still have the HDD hooked up to the PC (direct SATA connection), where would I find the MyStuff files that would tell me what has been recorded and how all the merges are tied together?

Furthermore, can I check that there are appropriate MyStuff files available to make the 6.5 installation smooth (is that down to TM snapshots)?

Cautiously,

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[edit]
The MS files are in \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff
MyStuff,dat
MyStuff_EpisodeExcludes.dat
MyStuff_Excludes.dat
MyStuff_MOTList.dat
MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat
MyStuff_Searches.dat
You may also have backups in the \Backups subfolder
[/edit]

I'd be interested in seeing the output of the fsCheck tap; while the file structure should now be ok, this would also show the SMART attributes for the drive. These attributes would then give you a measure of confidence about the physical state of the disk ie is the disk physically sound or not. (if you do run fsCheck, please post the output in the fsCheck Reports thread).

Assuming you have a TM snapshot, it really depends on how much you have left in \ProgramFiles and how up-to-date your snapshot is.

I would probably use SnapShot| Compare first. To ensure that this snapshot is preserved, click the Rename button( note: this could be renamed later on but I would do it here so that you don't forget it!).

After renaming the snapshot, you can then start to recover files.
By default, the screen will show you files on the toppy that have been modified since the snapshot. You can check files and/or folders that you want recovered (if any) and then do "Restore" to put the files back to the same state as in the snapshot.

You can then change the view to "Files no longer on toppy". This will show you files in the snapshot that don't have a corresponding entry on the toppy. Again you can restore those that you deem necessary.

If, you don't like those views, you can select "All files in Snapshot" and restore what you require.

Note: if your snapshot is oldish, you might not want to overwrite any existing MS data or backup files (at least until you had tried MS first). This will minimise data loss in the MS "indexes".

Having prepopulated the MS (and/or \ProgramFiles) folder, I would then install MS 6.5 using the full installer ( firmware, MS and utility taps).

Once you get the box back to a good state, do a SnapShot| Take to get a new snapshot (you did remember to rename the snapshot first didn't you!; if you didn't rename it, you will overwrite the one taken before the corruption).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; EPG2MEI v0.96; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; WSSkiller V2.12d; CrashTrace v0.4; fsSave 1.1; PruneEPG 1.0;
chris_s
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
@ Geoff

I seem to remember that you had turned your attentions to the functionality of TopfHDDoctor and TopfHDRW. If this is the case, I imagine that you have already thought of what I am about to say, but:-

It would be nice if I could use all of the wonderful TM functions and fsCheck on a directly connected Toppy Drive (as I have right now).

It would also be nice to see all of the .rec files (and possibly the .del files, selectable) in a flattened view so that they can then be sorted by size, creation date, etc. (and possibly one or two layers of cascaded sorting): I would have found this really useful when deciding which files to copy to my NAS.

As a result of my current situation, I am formulating a 'Feature Request' which may be aimed at MyStuff, or a 'Housekeeping' TAP, or TM, or any combination of the above: it will probably be shot down in flames, but may prompt the 'Wise men and women' to come up with a better alternative.

Chris.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
@Chris_s

Don't look for anything in TM! - It is a huge program (in terms of source lines) and I couldn't test out all the features to enable it to access a direct mounted disk.

Likewise, fsCheck bypasses the toppy file system and reads the raw disk. It wouldn't run on a pc and, even if it could, it would not be able to access the SMART attributes on a USB connected disk.

I am playing around trying to write a replacement for TopfHDRW but this is a long way from production (and may not make it that far!). Currently, I've spent months designing the interface/checking the mechanism (I can copy/delete/rename etc but windows is a bugger to code the visual interface). My aim is to have a tap (fsSave) that runs daily. This will save a snapshot of the file system structures (folders, FAT etc). When connected to the pc, my program would look for these snapshots (whether or not they were in a folder) and use them to aid recovery of files when the file system is compromised.

Note: fsCheck is a spin off from fsSave as I thought this would be of use to people while I played around with the rest (it is also my first tap and use of C so I did it to understand the file system and tap writing).

Geoff

chris_s
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
The MS files are in \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff
MyStuff.dat (all 2012 ?????)
MyStuff_EpisodeExcludes.dat (recent file exists)
MyStuff_Excludes.dat (recent file exists)
MyStuff_MOTList.dat (recent file exists)
MyStuff_Searches.dat (recent file exists)

MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat does not exist, so I assume I am stuffed!

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Just noticed that your signature says you are on MS 6.4. MS 6.5 has an improved backup system from which you might have been able to recover (I know it is no help to you but others still on 6.4 might read this).

Geoff

chris_s
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I eventually put the drive back in the Toppy (MyStuff not in Auto Start): it did not do a VF&F, but started displaying the Native Archive from the end rather than the start.

I sucessfully played some recordings (Natively) but noticed that some folders were missing, and that things went rather wrong while scrolling down the Archive: e.g. 0 files reported in folders which had previously shown the presence of files, and sometimes no contents in the entire archive (>> then << would restore the Archive contents).

Interestingly, the folders that were missing in the native archive are present on Antares (via USB) and present and copyable in TopfHDRW (direct SATA to PC MOBO), and those copied files will play in VLC.

Since I have the time, and capability, and a spare 5810 to keep me going, I decided to go the whole hog and copied everything (except for the majority of the older MyStuff_Searches.dat files and 3 with negative lengths), so I now have 1169 files, in 226 folders taking up 1.16TB on my NAS.

Not sure what to do next.

I will try a file system check for Geoff.

I could install MyStuff 6.5, restore what is left of the MyStuff Settings files, and see what happens.

I could format the drive and start again, copying back what I would like to be able to watch on TV via Toppy (as opposed NAS wireless to VLC on laptop -> TV HDMI).

I have been meaning to buy a bigger drive for the PC, so I could re-copy everything to a new internal drive (3 times the speed of NAS copy, for some reason), format the Toppy Drive, and copy most of it back.

Any sugestions?

Chris

juwlz
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Bear in mind that you'll need to preserve the MyStuff data files (see Replacing your Hard Drive - which is effectively what you're doing if you wipe it) to keep track of:
Merged recordings
Which episodes you've already recorded for SSes and PSes
.. and some other stuff.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chris_s
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
@ Geoff

fsCheck has thrown up many problems, including:-

/DataFiles/..
>>> .. does not point to its parent (3028, expected 2)
To Fix: Attach disk to a PC and use TopfHDRW to repair.

/DataFiles/..
>>> .. does not point to its parent (3028, expected 2)

Now 3028 was what TopfHDRW was complaining about.

I know that the FAT is essentially linked lists of clusters, but that is about as far as my knowledge goes.

I exported the FAT and cluster 3028 is EOF (which I am assuming is End of File), as is cluster 2. Also, there doesn't seem to be a cluster containing 3028, or am I working the list in the wrong direction?

As I am now at the stage of Formating and starting again, I am quite willing to have a tinker with the FAT if I knew what to do.

Chris.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The contents of the 3028'th cluster will not have an EOF marker in it (well it could do if it contains a text file but not if it is a directory); the end of the file is normally calculated from the size stored in its directory entry (and following a FAT chain of linked clusters if it is longer than one cluster in size). Directories can extend over 1 cluster theoretically but, I think this equates to about 10k files in a single directory on a 160GB disk drive i.e. unlikely. Also, I believe that some of the routines in FireBird's library (used by most Tap writers) have a file limit of about 4095 files in a cluster. This again means that a directory will normally fit in a single cluster.

Also, although the cluster is 3028, the physical location on the disk is really the 3029th cluster because the first "cluster" is reserved for the SuperBlock and the data clusters next start at the second "cluster" (called Cluster 0).

I don't believe that TopfHDRW will fix the .. back link problem (well it wouldn't when andyfras had a similar problem)

The following instructions assume that the bad back link is in the \DataFiles folder
1) Use Antares
2) create another directory (\Data)
3) Select all the files in \DataFiles and rename them into \Data
4) delete the \DataFiles folder
5) Rename \Data to \DataFiles

Actually, I think that when andyfras had the problem; he just renamed the \DataFiles folder to something else, \Data say, and rebooted the toppy. The toppy automatically created a new, empty, \DataFiles and he just renamed the files into the newly created folder and cleaned up the unwanted folder.

Either way should have the same result.

Cheers
Geoff

[edit]Forgot to say that the toppy uses a FAT24 file system. This means that the FAT table consists of 24 bit (or 3 byte) entries. i.e. you can't just use a decimal/hex editor to look for a 3028 entry in the FAT table. Also, as this is a single cluster directory, any 3028 values will be stored in the directory entries rather than the FAT[/edit]

chris_s
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
I have decided to abandon the current HD contents and start again, so unless anybody wants me to do a quick tinker for educational and/or diagnostic purposes I will format it, install MyStuff 6.5, restore the few MyStuff files that survived the corruption, and copy all of the DataFiles back.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Chris.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Sounds a good plan.

You might want to leave a copy of the recordings on the NAS for a bit; just in case something is causing the disk to be trashed (unlikely but possible).

Geoff