Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  SCART Volume from Topfield decreasing over a few months?

Page 1 of 1
jkn
Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi All
I have a Topfield 5800 which has served me well for quite a few years now; I have
had several SATA drives through it and re-capped the PSU a year or so ago.

I usually control the speaker output volume by having the TV volume preset to half-way (a value of '50'), and controlling the output volume on the Topfield.

Something I have noticed over the last few months or so is that the volume of the TV when running through the Topfield, or playing back recordings, is lower than I expect. I have had to increase the preset volume on the TV to '60' or '70' in order to have control over a decent volume range via the Topfield remote.

I know it's not my hearing that has altered, and playing the DVD into the television means I have to turn the volume bakc down. So I'm wondering what might be causing this.

Anyone else come across something like this? I am wondering if there is a hidden volume preset setting on the topfield. A hardware fault seems possible but it's a strange one. I guess it's possible that my SCART cable is at fault, but again that seems a bit odd...

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Jon N
ryclark
Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1611 Location: Shropshire
The volume level coming from the Toppy via the TV SCART socket is set by the Toppy volume control. I usually leave this set to maximum. However I seem to remember that doing a reset on the Toppy or updating the firmware can reset the Toppy volume to the default level of only around 60%. So press the Up Volume button on the Toppy remote to make sure that it is set full up.

alan_m
Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3413
jkn wrote:

Have you inadvertently set your Toppy to mono, only left or only right audio rather than stereo? This is a Toppy menu setting or a setting when you press the opt button on the remote

A SCART cable is only wires and a broken wire is unlikely. The more likely failure is a high resistance caused the connector falling out slightly - re-plug the SCART at both ends.

Did you at one time have the Vb patch that is no longer there asa result of a firmware/Tap upgrade?

The Volume Boost [Vb] patch boosts the audio output by +6dB

5800 - 1Tbyte HD and fan F/W: MS6, 5.13.65T 18 Nov 2010 -Te+B2D plus aXeL
Auto Start:MyStuff 6.5|EPG2MEI v0.96|Extend v1.7|SecCache (UK) v0.4|TF5000 Display v1.53|MHEG On/Off A3
jkn
Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Hi Alan

alan_m wrote:

jkn wrote:

Have you inadvertently set your Toppy to mono, only left or only right audio rather than stereo? This is a Toppy menu setting or a setting when you press the opt button on the remote

Good thinking, that was the sort of thing I was wondering about. However this setting is still on Stereo, so no joy there...

alan_m wrote:

A SCART cable is only wires and a broken wire is unlikely. The more likely failure is a high resistance caused the connector falling out slightly - re-plug the SCART at both ends.

Well, I don't know about unlikely, given the poor quality of most Scart cables/connectors... I have tried re-plugging the Scart. But you have made me realise that the problem might be a loss of one channel ... I don't (normally) use a fancy sound system, and it is possible that the TV is just missing a channel.

(5 mins later) ... hmm, seems not ... but still worth investigation.

alan_m wrote:

Did you at one time have the Vb patch that is no longer there asa result of a firmware/Tap upgrade?

The Volume Boost [Vb] patch boosts the audio output by +6dB

No, I've never had such a patch; I suspect I will install that TAP once I've sorted out this problem, as it will better align the volumes of my source components.

Thanks for the post!

Cheers, Jon N