Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Switch for SATA drive?

Page 1 of 1
Darucla
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1530 Location: Norwich
I am fairly sure that the USB port on my black 5800 has fried itself. I have currently removed the drive to move files onto a PC, and that's fine. However, the 5800 is virtually useless to me without connection to my network.

Does anyone know of a switch arrangement that would allow me to
A) Keep the drive inside the Topfield case
B) Allow the drive to be easily (preferably remotely, but I doubt that is possible) switched between a USB/SATA connector which I have plugged onto the PC and the SATA/IDE bridge inside the Topfield.

I have a vague memory something of this kind being described, probably on the old Australian site, but I could just be imagining that.

I know I can keep the drive external to the pvr in a case and manually change the connectors, but really don't want to do that. I also know that Andy does a repair for the USB connector, but I am leaving that as a last option.

Not really a bug, but not easily placed anywhere else either. Except maybe Firmwares, Enhancements and Upgrades.
EMJB
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3620 Location: Maldon Essex
Have you considered using the serial connection? Fine for TAP maintenance but no good for transferring recordings.

EMJB

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
It is recordings I need to transfer, thanks. It is a bit of an obsession, and probably the best thing I could do would be to train myself not to need to keep copies of any film that I feel I might need for research at some point. Smile
Bizman
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1700
I may be wrong, but I thought andyfras had facilities to repair/replace the USB chip if that is the problem.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3391
Bizman wrote:
I thought andyfras had facilities to repair/replace the USB chip if that is the problem.

I do indeed, at least until I run out of chips.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Darucla
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
I may be wrong, but I thought andyfras had facilities to repair/replace the USB chip if that is the problem.
...which is why I mentioned that possibility in my first post. The fact is I don't really use the Topfields much these days, as I mainly record HD where I can. Not enough use to put up with sending it off etc.. If it comes to it, I'll just move the bigger disc to my other 5800, and pass on this one. It works very well apart from the USB connection.